1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Early training in USKP

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim' started by Sir Rechet, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Ah, the famous Unofficial Skyrim Patch (USKP), our savior..

..except that it ALSO removes free training from followers. Yes, I'm looking at you, Faendal! ;)

Now, a challenge: Is it possible to start the pickpocket training routine without overshooting levels if you HAVE TO start pickpocketing from level 1? Or at least, what is the bare minimum of missed levels you'll have to suffer? Or should you abstain from training all 5 points during a couple levels to only lose a partial level's worth of training? Or is it possible to get/steal enough cash to be able to train a few levels without pickpocketing your gold back?

This naturally means you have to emerge out of Helgen without a single skill increase anywhere to get as big of a buffer as possible for starters. And you'll be searching to boost skills at 15 for quite a while, instead of pushing several closer to 50. What else?

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Clearly, it's impossible to pickpocket train at such early levels. Heck, if you resist pushing the level up button while you're escaping Helgen, and start training with Faendal from level 1, it is typically possible to train all the way to level 50 in archery just from him. So clearly pickpocket training is out.

I also feel it is inconceivable to acquire enough gold for 5 levels worth of training early on. Sure, you can get a few as leveling a level 15 skill only costs 210 gold. But that's still 1150 gold to train a skill from 15-20, and there's no means of acquiring that much even if all you do is break into people's homes and steal stuff - you'll start leveling speech from selling it anyway (which isn't necessarily bad as you want levels in speech, but you'll still be missing training opportunities.

So it seems most sensible to say that you wouldn't train the full 5 times per level. (This happens anyway - even with Faendal quickly getting you to level 8, you STILL gain experience too fast.) That said, I don't think it's a major problem. My current character is level 62, and he's essentially done in training. I need a few more training sessions in Two Handed, but all of my other yet-to-be maxed skills are either at 90 or above, and therefore cannot be trained, or they are skills I use regularly (like Sneak, One Handed, Archery) that will get there eventually through use.

If you're asking me to make an estimate... I'd say you can reasonably expect to lose 6-8 full levels worth of training combined. You'll never lose a full level, at once, but there will be instances where you may only be able to train twice in a given level, because you'll be gaining so much experience from pickpocket. So 30-40 training sessions. But like I said, it's not that big of a deal. I'd guess that I am already losing about 10 in a typical playthrough.

3. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Did some basic testing, and it's impossible to utilize more than about half of the training opportunities during the first ten levels or so if forced to start with pickpocketing starting from level 1. :( I managed 35 out of 55 possible in my first try to level 11, always going for the lowest available skill.

However, you can get a free Woodcutter's Axe from the Riverwood sawmill, and there are two woodcutting blocks available as well. Also, Hod (the sawmill owner) happily buys off any Firewood off of you. Hence, you could make unlimited money by just chopping wood and selling it and just buy the training from Faendal anyway.

At that point, I'm tempted to just console in the 12,950 septims it costs to train all the way with him and be on my way. What a chore. :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.