1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dynaheir, stay or leave?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Bassil Warbone, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] If you rescue Dynaheir without Minsc in your party will she eventually leave the party if you never find Minsc?

2. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I don't know. When I rescue her without Minsc, I don't intend on having her in the party anyway.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

What's the point? It's not like it would be hard to get Minsc killed.

4. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31

The point is to *know* and In *knowing* this, Bassil Warbone became free. :grin:

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Here's a thought: try it and post the results.

6. Felinoid

Or one could just give a look via IE. ;) It doesn't look like Dynaheir really desires to be in Minsc's company again. She won't leave your party and definitely won't go ape-s*** on you for not finding Minsc. But I still think it's simpler to blow off Minsc because he's talking to a rodent and kill him in self-defense before you even step foot in the Gnoll fortress.

7. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Umm think of it this way, if you wanted a strong wizard would you take Edwin or Dynaheir??? I don't think alignment really makes a difference here either.

8. Felinoid

Um, that IS the main problem with Edwin. You take Dynaheir over Edwin for only two reasons: either you want Minsc and don't have the heart to powergame-kill Dynaheir, and/or you don't want to have to regulate your rep for the evil guys.

9. Fly2tHeSkY

I mean, if you were to choose one of the other BEFORE you accepted either Minsc's or Edwin's quest, which wizard would you prefer? SIMPLE!

10. Felinoid

That still leaves the second possibility. Managing rep for evil characters is very annoying.

11. Fly2tHeSkY

Not really, they leave after you rise above 18 in reputation and that isn't hard to achieve Fel. I'm taking it you don't play mixed parties much? :D

12. Felinoid

...That's actually my point. It's too easy to get a rep high enough that they'll leave, and it's a hassle to have to manage it so your rep doesn't go that high. Speaking of which, are you high? Because you haven't made much sense in most of the posts you've made today. Seriously, I'm worried.
    No, I play them plenty, but it's still annoying to have to manage your rep. Either you do something to tank it every once in a while, which hurts prices in shops, or you do little things to try to keep it hovering around a certain level, which you have to do almost every few minutes. Personally, I choose option 1 for simplicity, but either way is still annoying that you have to mess with it, when most of the NPCs don't make you do that.

13. Fly2tHeSkY

Maintaining your rep to an average level is EASY! Fel you don't have to go around doing all good things for people. If you REALLY want the experience for every little quest, which I'm guessing you do because your rep must skyrocket for being nice to everyone, you could just steal something and get caught or take it to the drastic level and kill an innocent. Frankly I don't find it that big a deal and it doesn't take much effort at all.

14. Felinoid

Of course it's easy. But you have to actually do something about it, on a meta level, and that's annoying in an RPG. Even more so when it becomes unusual because most NPCs don't require that of you. To put it another way, you're in the middle of a game and your mother asks you to take out the trash (or some other piddling chore). It's very easy, but also very annoying; ease doesn't negate annoyance factor.
    First of all, those two options you gave are the exact same ones I gave. Secondly, it's not about the experience. Well, it is about the experience, but not about the XP. Not being able to do some quests because they give you a rep boost is even worse than having to do something extra to get it back down. If all of a sudden you're prevented from playing some parts of the game (most quests just plain don't have an evil option) simply because you want to keep a certain member in the party...that's just f***ed up.

The bottom line is that evil characters require special treatment, while the others don't; it's a mark against them.

15. Fly2tHeSkY

Sometimes I play a mixed party because it's interesting to hear certain reactions from the party members from one to another. Seriously though, managing my party that way has no affect on me whatsoever, sometimes I enjoy it just because I like it :p Obviously your style is different :D

16. Felinoid

Nice. Another jab at me supposedly not playing mixed parties just because I say it's annoying. :rolleyes: Truth be told, more than half of my parties end up mixed because when I'm planning parties I don't pay that much attention to alignment (with the exception of a couple alignment-theme parties). So I've had to deal with managing rep a lot. Enough so that every time I see my rep's getting high in one of those parties, I heave a deep sigh at having to take my mind out of the game yet again to deal with it.

If that doesn't bother you at all, that's great, but most of us aren't so lucky. For the majority of the posters here, alignment is an issue.
    But this has gone a bit :yot: , so I'll leave it at that.

17. Fly2tHeSkY

Yesh I believe it has, but either way I would NEVER take that pathetic girl as a wizard in my party :D

18. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31

19. Fly2tHeSkY

And CLEARLY that proves my point :D

20. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Changing her to a Sorcerer through Tutu is rather worthwhile, but as this ain't the forum for that I'll leave that thought there.

As she is, I wouldn't really bother with her.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.