1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dwarf Raised by Elves?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Silverwolf86, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Dwarves are notoriously gruff just as elves are notoriously flighty. As this isn't typically the best of combinations, they don't get along very well despite being good-aligned. However, as there are always special occasions (such as when they band together to fight off an invading army of orcs) I got to thinking what would it be like if an entire dwarf clan was killed with but one young survivor who was then brought up by elves.

What would he be like? After all dwarves and elves are so very opposite in ways and mannerisms: elves move silently and secretly; dwarves tend to crash about muttering and swearing angrily. So what would a dwarf brought up by elves be like? And would the elves try to change his/her ways and make him more like an elf and how successful could they be?

And what about the vice-versa case? Can anyone really imagine an elf being happy in the underground tunnels of a moutain, hammering away at a smithy? :p And yet somehow I think the elf could probably adapt easier in a dwarf environment than the other way around. Any thoughts?

(**Note: I wasn't sure if this belonged more in D&D or booktalk. If it should have been elsewhere, I apologize for my ignorance**)

2. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

interesting question but i have to agree that the elf would adapt more easily but i can think of a few dwarves that could get along with elves decently(bruenor for ex.)Also elves are renowned(sp) for theyre craftsmanship as are dwarves, but they tend to work with lighter metals like mithril, and the dwarves work with nearly anything.

3. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Very odd...reminds me of a charcter I have that's a half-orc raised by gnomes.

Anyway, It seems to me the dwarf would end up being a cluts within the elven community and become the laughing stock of it. Imagine as a child the dwarf going around on the narrow branches and this dwarf child following them, suddenly falling off and getting ridiculed. This would lead to a dysfunctional dwarf that would become totally isolated from society or an evil genius out to get revenge upon all the elves. Interesting campain senerio...

4. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well, Silverwolf, this is exactly the main character in the "Lost Homelands" in CS. A young dwarf whose clan and entire city was destroyed and was raised by elves.
    He is not much different from the other dwarves because the elves who raised him were open-minded and let him do anything a dwarf usually does without restrictions. He learned many things but he is still a dwarf.

5. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I would say it would depend on a few things.
    1) What age the dwalf/elf was when it's clan was destroied. If it was destroyed at an early age the dwalf/elf might not be able to remember anything about it, therefore be able to adapt more easily in their new home.
    2) The attitude of the dwalf/elf.
    3) The attitude of the dwalves/elves who bring them up.

6. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I would say that if you did this you would have to choose to put points into Dex rather then Str. He isn't working in the mines and forges so Str doesn't build up but his Dex would go up just from having to get around in the woods.

7. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] I seem to recall Fret from Silverymoon. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.