1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Durlag's Chess Game

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Mithrilhammer, Sep 6, 2000.

1. Mithrilhammer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] I've played the game several times now but the one part I ALWAYS have trouble with is that *&%#@ chess game in Durlag's Tower. Does anyone have any idea how to get out of that one without getting flamestrike cast at you every round. I tried moving around as the chess pieces are marked but I can't seem to get my party to stand still and I'm not even sure if that's what I'm supposed to do anyway! Any suggestions would be oh so welcome :(

2. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] What works for me is sending a scout a little further ahead, enticeing a couple of pawns at a time forward and killing them before they "queen", then it's just a case of rushing the king, killing anything that gets in the way.

3. Launcelot Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] You only need to edge forward a little to get pawns to come! arm the rest of your team with ranged weapons so that they stay in place. Once the enemy king attacks you're more or less save from the kill lightnin' and fire!

4. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Just focus 4 of your players attacks on the King, once he's dead, you win the game. Let the other 2 members of your party interrupt the spells of the Queen and the other spellcasters...

5. Casey Chaos Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] It's pretty vital to have the majority of you're party using missile weapons so that the enemies don't get in close, or at least take a load of damage before they reach you. If you time it right you can edge someone forward VERY slightly to initiate the first wave of attackers, and then obliterate them with a couple of fireballs as they come into view. Then send some cloudkill, stinking cloud, or more fireballs as close to the other side of the board as possible to hopefully flush out the king. As he makes a run for it pummel him with you're missile weapons. Remember once he's gone, the others instantly die. Whatever you do though make sure if a spellcaster is in view that you divert arrows to him before anything nasty comes your way. And if that fails I guess an animate dead spell/monster/animal summoning spell wouldn't go amiss.

6. Wizard_IV Gems: 1/31

All I did was cast like 3 fireballs with my wand and it was over. Do it in the center of the board(make sure its away from u).

7. L'Israe Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Here's a tip for strong parties:
    Get your mage(s) to memorize Resilient Sphere (or whatever its called), Fireball, Cloudkill, any area spells.
    When you reach the chessboard, lure a few pawns at a time, casting area spells on them (this will damage the out-of-sight monsters too) and shooting at them with ranged weapons. Try to keep out of sight of the king. When the queen comes into view, cast Sphere on her: she won't be able to cast any spells for a while. In the mean time, take out the bishops with ranged weapons which stop their spell-casting in the process. When Sphere wears off, you can take care of the queen with minimum effort. then you can dispatch the king and thus win the game.

The first time I played this, I killed the king straight away and all the others vanished, not leaving anything to pick up. If you kill them FIRST, you get tons of EXP and lots of goodies!!

8. Ubull Ravenhorn Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

When i got into this game, it was xtremely easy:
    I casted a cloudKill just before the pawns started running on me.
    Then, when the queen was coming I used web on the same area.
    When she was webbed, i waited for about 30 seconds...and every chess figure died.

9. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Chess game? Well, or I didn't do this tower quest, or I didn't finish it, since more and more people ar placing post with things in it I didn't encounter. That tower is standing in the city of Baldurs Gate right? whit that Crazy mage in it?

Please tell me, I'm getting confused....

10. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

No, the tower in question is Durlag's Tower from the expansion pack Tales of the Sword Coast. It's not in the city Baldur's Gate -- it's down by Gullykin.

11. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Do you know you are posting replies to a 2 year old post? Hehe, but if you want the easy to beat the chessboard, put range weapon on everyone and only move one guy enuf to draw enemies to you...just don't move at all. :)

12. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] I see it now, this topic IS 2 years old :)! Now I'm more confused as before, I think I did miss that entire quest... It is not the one starting in that cave with those polar bears is it?

But I do remember a tower in BGC what was the name of this one? Our am I mixing things up now? It's more then 2 yearsa ago that I did finish that game...

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Durlag's Tower is a standalone area that appears on your map. You learn about it in Ulgoth's Beard. It's also the sole coolest dungeon ever made for BG1 and the entire point of the expansion IMHO. If you managed to miss that, you missed the heart of the expansion. :p

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited June 04, 2002).]

14. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] So is this that quest where that save game starts that you get with the expansion? You know where your party has the 5 members that would be used in BG2?

If it is this one than I did it, twice, once with the preselected party, and once with my own. But I can't remember a chess game, could you travel past it withoud "playing it"?

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    No. You can't go by the chess game. You must have missed it. You'd know if you were at Durlag's. It's the only map in the game that only has one huge castle-like tower on it.

16. Valer Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

For a solo character it is very hard to win, so i had to cheat a little bit. I am playing with a F/M/T. I fired fireballs from scrolls and potions, wands to the table, and hide in shadow immediately before it would hit them. This way they did not attack me, because they didn't see me.
    By the way it is not a fair battle for a solo character, especialy when i fought normaly, the Queen appeared 3 times. 3 X 5000Xp is not too bad, but she is quite powerful caster...

17. Zaphoradak Gems: 1/31

Yeah old post or not, the equiping of ranged weapons is total necessary.

You can re-arrange character order to make sure you can move your fighter dudes a bit.
    Also: Read the rules on that good 'ol game called chess, and U get no lightning bolts comming at you if U just do it right. It would however be 100% more fun if I could use the pawns.

I am going to try get thru again notite. :)

18. Niskers Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Three words: fireball, fireball, fireball

19. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    That's too easy. I just make my PC walk out enough to entice the pawns down and kill them. Then I edge up enough to bring dow the other pieces one by one. By the end the king is the only piece still alive, so have got all the XP i can.

20. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

My solo fighter-thief mopped up the board with arrows of detonation and potions of explosion.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.