1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Duregar Hostility

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Fly2tHeSkY, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

[​IMG] Hey!

I just started playing IWDII again and I thought I'd go over a few things before I get back into it. You know, party, stats, equipment etc.

Then I went over some of my previous strategies and remembered something while I was in the Duregar camp. The leader (forgot his name) tells you to stay out of the cells in the back of the camp. Now, I remember that when you go in there, you see a ghost materialise and then EVERY single one of the dwarves comes down on you like a ton of bricks.. After that, OBVIOUSLY, you can't complete any of the quests that they give you because in the end, you have to defend yourself and kill them.

I seem to remember doing something to calm them but I forgot! Can anyone shed some light on this please..

2. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

Have a cleric or a paladin use Turn Undead on the ghost.

Then you can talk to it and it will net you, IIRC, around 3000 XP.

The duegars will be calm if you solve it that way.

3. Fly2tHeSkY

Mmm I don't have a problem with that, although I'm currently playing through the solo (Rogue/Wizard), so that idea's out. Is there anything else I can do?

4. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

Kill all the duergar, then there'll be no one left to get PO'd when you meet the spectre.

5. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Help building the crossbow first, so you can loot it afterwards.

6. crucis

Good idea, Kmonster, as long as you have a character who fills the INT requirement to help Dragu.

7. Ironhawk Skylord

As I said. Turn undead on the ghost and you will be fine. You could build and take a cleric or paladin with you just for that. Or forget the ghost or kill it after you have killed the duegars.

But if I was you, I would build the crossbow if you have the INT, take the duegars quest about killing the Black Raven monastery, take all the quests in the Black Raven monastery, slaughter the Black Raven monastery, go back to the duegars and get xp for solving their quest and slaughter the duegars afterwards.

As simple as that, and optimal XP. :)

[ March 23, 2007, 23:00: Message edited by: Ironhawk Skylord ]

8. crucis

Ironhawk, if you slaughter the monks, do you lose the opportunity to have the monks help you later on at the Severed Hand? (Leaving out the details to avoid spoilage.)

9. Ironhawk Skylord

No. They help you anyways. As you probably remember, the Black Monastery monks was diverted in who they would support.

10. Chas Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I am playing a few replays through now. I never had a problem with killing the ghost (and the online guide here at SP also says that killing the ghost is no problem). What does get them mad is if you take anything from the supply room other than the mining tools. After a little while they just all turn hostile even if the leader is talking nice. Or maybe it is just if you take something from the locked chest. Never looked into the details that close, I just ignore the other stuff in the room until after I kill them all. As a role playing decision, after meeting the monks, I go back and kill the dwarfs instead.

11. Fly2tHeSkY

Just got up to this part. Yes I believe that they get mad when you take some of the items in the equipment room. It had to be because of that, as I didn't even venture into the dungeons!

As for roleplaying, I took the side of the dwarves and killed the monks. Although once I had received my reward for that dirty little deed, I slaughtered the dwarves and their pathetic little slaves along with them, hehe..

12. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

That's what I just did, Silvershield (but I keep getting my butt handed to me by those Golems in the crypt)!

I'll figure out a new tactic tonight (I hope, if not, Ill skip the buggers).

13. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

I'd just ignore the treasure for now.
    You can return later once you are more experienced and better equipped (+3 weapons).

14. Ironhawk Skylord

Or take you fastest char, place the rest of the party at the exit and make a run for the treasure.

15. crucis

The treasure in the tomb isn't really worth the trouble. I think that the XP for killing the Golems is more valuable than the treasure.

16. Ironhawk Skylord

The treasure of the tomb is Bracers of Defense +4 and the flail The Shackles of Roa +1 (33% chance of a +2 strength bonus to the wielder after a hit).

Personally I find the Bracers very useful. But as kmonster said, one can return later when one is more powerful.

17. Fly2tHeSkY

By the time you return once you are powerful enough (whether you feel you are or not) you would have already come across the Bracers of Defence +4 and by that stage the XP value wouldn't be of much significance..

18. crucis

Perhaps, Silvershield, but there's still some satisfaction from taking down the Iron Golems for the fun of it.

19. Ironhawk Skylord

Oh I agree. And I have usually more than one char who could use a pair of Bracer of Defence +4.

20. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Those bracers are quite useless considering how long "mage armor" lasts.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.