1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dungeon Siege

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Nobleman, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Just wanted to say Thumbs up on one thing. Developing the abilities you actually use and only those abilities is a very good feature for future games IMHO. I played it this weekend. I may be playing it again just for that reason. heh

BTW is it best to start as a mage or warrior? I found it extremely hard to improve my intelligence once I had chosen the path of gruntness. In fact I got more intelligence from swinging a hammer than casting spells.

2. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

dosn't mather "dual-classing" sucks in dungeon siege. but i liked the game anyway, the way you lvl up is good, but it needs some work.

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Ack... By mistake, I bought Dungeon Siege in hope of getting a decend RPG with good story. The reviews had been a bt better than average, but IMHO; the game is just plain sheit. Neat graphics, yes; but everything else is just... sheit.

Nobleman, might be because the game is only hack'n'slash with minimal RPG elements. Practically, you just slash through one group of enemies, then another, and another, and another, repeat to the end of the game. Choose warrior if you are seriously trying to finish this game.

Stay away from thsi game. :nolike:

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I downloaded the demo awhile back. My first reaction was "wow, great graphics". That lasted for all of about 5 minutes, and then I got bored. Needless to say, I never bought it.

5. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I bought it (boy did I buy it) and my reaction was pretty much like Splunge's. For the first half an hour I Just wandered around and gawped in amazement at the graphics. Unfortunately once the novelty value had worn off and I actually started playing the game proper, its complete lack of depth just left me shaking my head. There's no storyline to think of; just combat, combat and more combat. And if you think it sounds fun in a kind of Icewind Dale sort of lots-of-combat way, think again. Whereas in ID you needed to use tactics and carefully plotted strategies to get rid of enemies (the Marilith being a prime example), in DS you can just charge straight into every combat you come across and then sit back and watch the screen for five minutes as your party slaughters the enemy.

Ignore the reviews this game got, they're no indication of the quality of the game.

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I actually liked it. A little mindless hack and slash is good for your sinuses. I got near the end and haven't finished it yet, because it does get boring after a while, but I did enjoy the game. Think of it as Diablo 2 that looks like NWN and you can have a party of up to 8.

But the best reason to play DS...

DONKEYS!! :thumb: Who doesn't like DONKEYS!?! :roll:

7. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Dungeon Siege is closer to Icewind Dale than Diablo2. It's a dungeon crawl, and a fairly dam fine 3D one, I might add at that.

If the Icewind was done in 3D, I'd want it to look and play like Dungeon Siege. Well, you know. There's some tweaks in there that could stand to be added.

But Christ Jesus, the Lord Himself, knows I appreciate the "loot all" key. I would give the hot man-sex to whomever came up with that particular idea. My ENTIRE kingdom, just for a loot-all key in all the other D&D games.

The story isn't anything awesome, but I mean, it's better then the Jedi Knight stories. It's totally workable. Anways, I'm going to look at the topic again.

Oh. Mage or warrior. Wow. I'm probably going to have to say warrior. Everything closes in CQ (close quarters) really fast, and you've got to hold them back while you're mages use the explosive and really hard-hitting ice spells (ice lance? it's been awhile since I've played it) to take out the re-enforcements. Especially in the swamp areas, later in the game. You'll meet several fairly decent mages along the way, but spells don't start hitting hard until you're a third through the game. In the meantime, you'll need plenty of brutes to hold back the hordes.

I was going to say that money is a problem, but it's not really. Because of the loot-all key, you will ENJOY picking up everything after a huge out battle sprawl.

But my God, there is so much kombat. I mean, it's a dungeon crawl's dungeon crawl. With people shooting at gazeboes and massive glaciers and everything else. By the end of the game, you will be kombatted out for a little while. It'll have been good kombat, however. You'll just be full up.

8. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I really liked this game. Mostly because MP works great. Although, if you go warrior all the way the game gets way to easy. I didn´t use one healing potion on the final boss and I didn´t have any "npc´s" with me.

Anyway, it´s a nice game. Addon Legends of Aranna bring alittle new nice things to the game and DS2 should be out soon IIRC. And I for one will be buying it :)

9. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Don't tell people that i own a copy of Dungeon Siege.

This game is an insult to human intelligence! How do you play the game? Cross your two hands infront of your chest, make a coffee, go watch a movie, run around singing happy birthday backwards... you don't play the game, the game plays you. i/you as a player has no control of anything. Yes, the idea of upgrade according to whatever you used most is great and make sense. However, this great idea is not that great when you actually implement it.

Who is going to gain level faster, the one who stand infront and chop stuff or the one who stay behind to heal? We all can agree that a fight is just as important as a healer. But a healer character is always very weak not only in terms of physical ability but also healing ability. Near the end of the game, when the fighter is taking huge damage, the puny healer who worked so hard all along cannot really restore the hp that is losing so ever quickly. Don't you feel weird that every mage/healer/archer npc you meet along the way is always much better than the current one you have? And how much time you spent on training them?

The evolutionary trend is from simple to complicating. Comparing complexity of Diablo 2 to Diablo 1. Complex rules don't make the game unplayable. On the other hand, they make the game more fun. Those people powered by gas dare to defy this truth and celebrate simplicity! So simple to play, you don't even need to play it. i read an interview of the chief of those gas powered people shortly after the game was released. He said he was turned off by the complexity of 2nd ed. D&D in BG2. How can a person who has no appreciation of BG2 can design a action/adventure game at all?

No fatasy/medieval story can complete without fighting a huge dragon, even those gas village people know that. So, they designed a dragon boss in the game. i had been anticipating this as soon as i know a dragon exist in the game. i was very excited while crawling in the dragon's cave. And i saw this huge dragon, so big that it cannot move its body but its neck, that's all. There is no need to run around, screaming for help. i just assign an archer shooting at it, switch everyone to healing mode, go out take a dinner and come back to collect my disappointment. i am not kidding, i really did leave the game running while going out for a dinner.

i have to agree, the single fact of no loading throughout the game is excellent, revolutionary. But that's it. Use this gas powered technology on other game. For the love of nature and human intelligence, don't make such simple game again.

At last, i have to mention again, don't tell people i actually own a legit copy of the game.

10. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I read a few reviews that labelled it a brilliant engine with a pathetic game. I hope they use this engine for a real RPG. It will be horrible for the gaming industry to see this engine wasted. Imagine the equivalent of the Quake III engine but for Role Playing Games. That's Dungeon Siege.

The gameplay? I can only cut up pointless kibble for so long before it gets boring. Make mince out of meat, it's pretty much the same thing yet you'll be able to eat it later and your arms will actually get some excercise.

11. Grefter Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have played DS multiplayer with my familly for well over four hours without even sitting at my computer. Any game that you can do that it is really sad in my opinion. It was a good chance to read a book and it kept my little brother occupied atleast.

12. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

What you dont seem to realize is that this is NOT a RPG game. It´s an Adventure game. VERY big differance. To compare this game to BG2 is like comparing Quake 3 with Tetris. I expected an Adventure game, and I couldn´t be much more satisfied. The fact that you can go take a snack in the middle of a fight is nice. I have BG2 to play if I want interesting and difficult fights. (Not that there is many of those left in BG2 after all these years, even Kangaxx go down to easy nowadays)

So, this is a great adventure game. Not a bad RPG.

13. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I also just recently finished the original single person game. I enjoyed it, but was disappointed that my nature mage was essentially useless. He did nothing for the last half of the game but cast healing spells so my uber-warriors could slaughter things. I don't think my archer really accomplished anything either. My combat mage would run out of mana if I wasn't paying close enough attention so he spent quite a bit of time just standing there.

Sometimes it was funny to see the combat mage doing nothing, but getting peppered with arrows while the nature mage kept healing him. I couldn't think of a more perverse form of torture.

My biggest disappointment was finishing the game and having so many pieces of equipment I still couldn't use. Does the game have a nightmare or hell mode that I didn't look for?

14. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

What DS was crying out for was a little character interaction. Or ANY character interaction. Seriously, for all the personality the NPCs have in the game you might as well be accompanied by cardboard cutouts.

15. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    DS is great. Good single player game (the first time through anyway).

The best bit about it is the multiplayer. There are some great, really friendly people on there and its good fun just to get a few beers and sit down and chill out having a good session of dungeon crawling with some good mates.

Good fun :D .

16. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Got Ed, Edd and Eddy? Gee plank thats a nice warhammer you got there!

17. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

All I wanted was to congratulate on the new way of actually progressing through using. Like real life. Clever |shrugs|

The plot itself is worthless as a RPG but mods can take care of that, right.

18. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I borrowed this game and the expansion from a friend about a week ago under the impression that it was a cross between BGII and Diablo II. I hate Diablo but I am an avid follower of BGII, so I thoght I would give it a go.

I stared playing the origional game and was impressed by the graphics and the leveling up process and I played to the end of chapter 2 and I must say that it is one of the worst games I've ever played. It is just too easy! At the end of chapter 1 I was able to sell 120 potions (I counted) and beat all the bosses I faced without the party taking more than 10 points of dammage (without the use of potions)

The only enjoyable parts of the game were
    (a) the novelty of it (which quickly wore off)
    (b) buying a donkey (who almost died)

I unloaded my disgust for the game and he said that the expansion was better. I played it up to about halfway through chapter 2 and I didn't even get a donkey!!! The design was better in the expansion with average dammage over 10 seconds, sell all button etc. but it was still had the right click, right click, right click nature of the origional.

I can't see how it could be a good game in any respect, There was no chalenge! :mad: :mad:

Thank God I didn't actually buy the game.
    :)

19. Lotlanne Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I love both Diablo and BG (II), and I greatly enjoyed DS. The only missing part was character interactions, as was already mentioned, but I have a habbit of making up dialogues in my mind, so it didn't really bother me. I loved advancing in what you use, and by the time I reached the bandit camp in the swamp, my main character- warrior was really good. By the way I used him as a healer at the same time and it worked pretty good. It is a good game!
    But something horrible happened to me right after the camp at the swamp. I was saving all my games under the same file. Every time I try to load that saved game - my new computer (2 weeks old, bought it for gaming purpose only, so it's all fixed up for that - RAM, sound, video, 1500$ all together - I am just saying that it is unlikely something wrong with the computer), anyway, it says "Exeption detected" and it closes the game. So, now I'll have to start playing from the very beginning, I guess. Anybody knows how to fix such a bug?

20. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

With the right soundtrack, and proper CGI effects with spells and enemies and weapons/armour, the movie could work very well. The story could be tweaked a little bit, but doesn't really need all that much tweaking. You have to have at least one scantly clad more-man-than-me female warrior (think Zula from Conan the Destroyer), you have to have a good looking protagonist, and you have to have a couple of characters who make fun of each other through the whole movie. Everyone loves character interaction.

You need Ray Parks in there, doing the choreography. There needs to be scenes where people throw their weapons and loot new ones from the dead, on the fly in the midst of battle. Plus, you need reall pretty landscapes.

I'd go see it. But I don't want it to be some Dungeons and Dragons abortion (which I never watched more than 10 minutes of). Either do it justice, or leave it alone. I don't think they (the producers) are prepared to spend the cash it would take to make the movie work.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.