1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

dual-wielding question

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Skywind, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I just started a new game, got myself a kensai and dual-wield him with a +1 long sword(off hand) and a normal long sword(main hand), send him to attack a enemy only damage-able by magical weapon. It seems that the first two hits(maybe more than that) are from the main hand as both are useless against the enemy.
    Question is if dual-wielding, when does off-hand weapon actually strikes?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Off hand weapon strikes only ONCE per round under normal circumstances, and IIRC it strikes last. So, you should equip your baddest 'upon hit' weapon to your main hand(like Flail of Ages), and those who give constant bonuses via equiping (like Crom Faeyr) to your off-hand.

In your case, you should definitely put longsword+1 to your main hand as it will strike more than one in a round, therefore damaging the critter immune to one normal strike from your off-hand.

3. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

So the off-hand weapon never strikes more than once a round? And which other circumstances are you referring too?

I've always knewn that it strikes more rarely, but I had no idea it was THAT rarely. :rolleyes:
    Suddenly equipping things for static abilities in the off-hand made a whole world of sense after all!

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Other circumstances may involve powerful spells casted on the wielder (such as Improved Haste) or epic fighter ability (Greater) Whirlwind attack. I am not sure if in these cases, the off-hand gets more than 1 attack/round or not? (though the logic says me it should!) I never tested to see the difference. (I had no reason to do so, I always obey the rule below:)

And yes, static-effect waepons, which grant ability score bonuses, or other defensive bonuses, should always be equipped in your off-hand. Main hand should hold something which will hurt foes upon hit:extra elemental damage, or other nasty things .(stun, vorpal, level drain, etc.) as main hand weapon strikes more in a single round.

5. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Haste effects, believe it or not, actually remove offhand attacks completely. Take a look at Nythrun's research into the haste opcode. (Greater) Whirlwind uses a different opcode.

6. Mordokai Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

While on topic, I have a question too. My inqusitor is a dual wielder, with ** in long swords and ** in bastard swords and off course *** in two weapon style. I'm considering three weapons to use: one will certainly be Purifier +5. The other two are Angurvadal +5 and The Answerer +4. I'm thinking of using Purifier as my main hand weapon. Which of the other two would be better used as an off hand weapon? 22 strenght is nice bonus, and I could give the Belt of Fire Giant strenght to other party member, but at the same time 15% MR -2 AC penalty from Answerer is a solid bonus too. So which one should I use as an off hand weapon? Or should Purifier be the off hand weapon?

7. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

If you have ** in bastards and are looking to play through TOB and Watcher's Keep with your paladin, you might want to look into Foebane, another magical bastard sword. Though Angurvadal's strength bonus is quite nice until you get that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.