1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dual-classing and high level abilities

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by bongo tjockskalle, Jan 7, 2002.

1. bongo tjockskalle Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Long time no see !

Why does my fighter/thief character not get his high level abilities at around 3 mil exp. ?

in my party both jaheira and aerie got theis abilities at that amount of xp.

in the lates patch bioware states that dual classed and multiclassed should be treated equal, and that is definitely not the case.

bongo

keep on bouncing

[This message has been edited by bongo tjockskalle (edited January 07, 2002).]

2. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

My Dual Classed Fighter / Cleric was able to choose the cleric high level abilities, but not figher. Jaheria, however, was able to choose both Druid and Fighter abilities.

I have no clue why your thief abilities aren't kicking in though ...

3. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I think that High level abilities kick in at a class level not an XP value. also It may not let you take the cleric abilities if you cant cast spells of that level. Im not shure however.

4. Lord Sarevok Guest

Wait, hmm. I thought only the protaginst gets high level abilities! Sweeeet!

5. Mirkwood Guest

For a fighter-thief you will get your first fighter HLA at level 14 (1.5mil XP) and first thief HLA at level 17 (1.54mil XP).

So, you should got one at exactly 3mil XP, when your fighter side levelled up to 14.

[This message has been edited by Mirkwood (edited January 08, 2002).]

6. bongo tjockskalle Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] Cut and paste from biowares site concerning the latest patch

>"As a clarification, Multi and dual class characters gain their first high level ability at the equivalent XP mark as a single class character. Everybody gets their first high level ability at approx 3 million xp, give or take a few thousand. This was done to allow multi and dual class characters to enjoy the benefits of high level abilities before the end of the game."
    End of quote!
    If that was not pure gibberish my character who dualed at fighter level 13 (1250k xp) would get his first abilities as a thief at level 18 (around 1760, total 3010k xp)

this is not the case, tested with cluaconsole and gave my pc xp, at level 24 the abilities showed up and only thief abilities.
    that is 1250 000 points of xp down the drain.
    what buggers me is they say they have fixed it.
    Am I the only one who have experienced this with dual classed.

( multi class char works like a charm, as stated by bioware)

bongo

bouncing a little more slowly since use any item is still another million xp away

7. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Well it makes sense that you only got the high level abilities for the active class for you have stopped progressing. It would just be ridiculous to get the high level abilites of a class you stopped progreesing in a long time ago.

8. bongo tjockskalle Gems: 3/31

I could accept the fact that you dont get the abilities from your first class (not much in DnD makes sense, classes least of all).
    My major point is that the patch does not deliver as promised, concerning the total amount of xp.

bongo

now at 4 000 000 xp and still no abilities

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.