1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dual Class or Multiclass Fighter/Thief?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Jschild, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Jschild Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Im playing through the entire series and was wondering if I should play through as a dual class Fighter (say to around level 6 for the prof slots and then dualed over) or a multiclass fighter thief? Any suggestions?

[ August 27, 2003, 13:16: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Washed Heathen Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Every party needs a thief, they are argueably the most useful class available.I prefer to have one character completely devoted to thief (so as to get loads of points to spend in pick lock and detect traps, i don't consider stealth very important). If for some reason you don't want a character that is just a thief the fighter/thief is definitely the best alternative. Fighter is a great dual class for thieves because they get plenty of hp (which comes in handy since thieves are generally used to open chests and many chests are trapped). Obviously this dual class has better fighting abilities than the common thief too (which makes their backstab very dangerous, and is useful when you fail your hide in shadows check in the middle of say... the gnoll fortress). For an evil party this makes a great combination because it increases the thief's survival chance when he gets caught stealing or fails a pick pocket check. I think it would be best to multiclass this character rather than dual class so that you will always have an active thief in the party. I'm interested to see how this guy works out so email me about it :cool:

3. Jschild Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I am planning to solo at the start of the game (to quickly reach level 6 by neshekel and then dual if i do dual), then once i get enough exp to be both,, get a party together. But should I multi to have it from the start. I'm going to be playing Baldur's Gate Trilogy so will be getting the exp from opening locks and traps.

UPDATE
    Ok, I think I'm set on the Dual Class, probably will dual at 7 for the extra thaco and hps. One question though, once i reach level 8 will my Fighter/Theif get the multiple attacks of my fighter? Plan to continue on through SOA and TOB so any suggestions would be appreciated.

[ August 26, 2003, 04:49: Message edited by: Jschild ]

4. Valer Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Playing through the whole game, i think F/M/T is much better. At Durlag's tower you may need some spell power too. I don't like the dual class, because:
    - humans don't get extra thief points (elf or halfling (F/T) is much better...
    - at BG1 the leveling takes a long time. In case of a F/M/T, you can't roll too bad HP...

If you would play only the BG1, the dual class is a good choice, but for the SoA, a level 13 fighter would be ideal...for the ToB the multi class... But this is a powergamer's point...

5. Washed Heathen Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I always have a fighting class, a mage and a thief in my party because between the 3 of them they are able to face any challenge. If you want to solo this must be the very best multi-class so go for it. :)

6. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

When I soloed, I actually did better with a F/T than with a F/M/T. Levelling was just so much faster...

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @JS in response to your question if you multi-class, yes. If you dual-class, no.

8. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Aldeth
    I may have misunderstood your response, but if a fighter duals at level 7,once he regains his fighter abilities at thief level 8, he also regains the fighter level 7 extra 1/2 attack. (Although the BG1 XP cap gets in the way of getting to thief level 8)

@JS
    Since you are planning to take the character through to ToB, you might want to consider multi-class. The reasons why don't belong in this forum, so you might want to search the ToB forum for an explanation on this.

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I dualed my fighter to thief at level 6 when I played BG some while ago. And I later imported him into BG-2 where it became my first char there - with the inherent weakness of beeing a thief with the looks of a fighter, proficiency-wise especially which led me to overestimating his abilities. My later chars were way stronger ... but I'm getting astray ... anyway, for BG he was a true force.

Multiclass, when you choose halfling race especially is very effective for BG as well. As THACO in BG is so limited I would suggest to use slings for that halsling fighter-thief to make maximum use from racial bonuses. A small shield will help much to improve his AC which is limited due to leather armor.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @ Splunge - you're right - I misinterpreted the question. I thought he was asking once he regained his old thief abilities if he would ever gain the extra attack per round. My thinking was, you get an extra half attack at 7 and then the other extra half attack at 13, so the extra full attack per round occurs at 13, which he couldn't get to. Now I see what he was really asking, and you're right, but it's moot unless he has an XP cap remover.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.