1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Druid Caster Build

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Evil Dad, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I want to make a Druid Caster and don't intend to melee much except when i have to and then i will shapechange.

Has anyone else tried a caster-based Druid and what were your thoughts on it?

My idea at the moment is:-

Race: Halfling
    for the greats saves/bonuses and to bring an element of roleplaying into the character

Stats: Str=8 Dex=16 Con=12 Int=10 Wis=18 Cha=8
    each increase I will raise wis+1 ... I could lower cha (high skill levels will compensate for this) to increase int, or maybe I need to change some other stats around?

Skills: Animal Empathy, Concentration, Heal, Spellcraft
    not sure whether to just keep on maxing these or is there a useful level to keep them at? maybe persuade as well? and are there any other skills I should be getting?

Spells: to be used as much as possible and with great buffing spells I should be able to keep out of trouble and there are some very nice damage spells that will help against more difficult monsters

Companion: Dire Wolf or Dire Rat
    i think the dire wolf especially in the early levels and maybe change to the rat at higher levels when the summons are better and the poison attacks might be more useful

Multi-classing: none ... or maybe some levels of rogue/shadowdancer for more defensive casting or perhaps harper scout for a bit more roleplaying

Shapechanging: I am not a big fan of the Shifter class, so I will just use the shapes that the Druid class provides ... I will however use the wildshapes if needed and the elemental when/if they become available ... ideally I would love the dragon shape

Henchman: not sure ... Daelan obviously as a tank, but Linu is useful as well

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

My thoughts:

With Strength of 8, you'll be continually encumbered trying to haul all your treasure home. That just makes for annoying gameplay in my opinion. Even with Bull's Strength on, you won't be able to carry much.

Animal empathy? Why? In my experience, that skill is next to useless in the single player modules.

Persuade is always worth putting points into the single player modules to open up more dialog options and quests for XP.

I always find a few points in Lore to be useful as well, especially at the start of the game.

Henchmen is a tough one. I always like having a rogue because I hate having to deal with traps and locks bu bashing and/or walking over them. But you'll be low on tankness so Daelan would be useful. Not sure why you'd want Linu as a Druid will have a lot of her divine spells anyway.

What about feats?

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I would build on STR instead of DEX. As Harbourboy said, someone has to bring the loot to the shop. You need some strength to wear good armour because it weighs quite a bit. I don't think you're going to be as well off with a Finessed build as with a classic. Scimitar and shield. Or spear.

If you want a totally spellcasting oriented druid, I suppose you'll prefer to take Spell Focus, Penetration, Combat Casting and metamagic feats instead of anything combat-related.

4. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I agree with the comments above :) Especially in the OC, where you cannot give henchmen loot to carry, encumbrance can be a pain. Why do you need such a high dex, anyhow? You spend 4 skill points to gain +1AC class and +1 reflex save. Not so big gain, in my opinion (at least for a class whose primary atribute is not dex). Better to take those 4 point and put them in str (or 2 in str, 2 in int, for the extra skill point)

As henchmen, you'll probably want Daelan and/or Tomi. Daelan for the fighthing power (druids are not so hot in melee at low levels) and Tomi for traps/locks. Ideally, take Daelan first on a quest to kill the baddies, then do a follow-up with Tomi to unlock/disarm the treasure chests.

By the way, you should put probably a couple of skill points in search (for traps), and a point in both open locks and disarm traps. It will not help very much, but at least you will be able to use thieves tools, and inspect the traps.

5. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I wouldn't worry much about AC for a caster druid. For one thing, you'll have henchmen, your pet and summons to tank for you and when you do get into the thick of things you can have stoneskin on. Otherwise, just behave like a wizard and stay in the back where it's safe.

The bear is probably the best pet a druid can have. Buff him up with Bull's Strength, Stoneskin, Awaken and Greater Magic Weapon (and the dozens of other good druid buffs) and just stand back and be amazed at how quickly he can slaughter a room full of monsters.

Cast Freedom of Movement on your pet and your henchmen and cast area effect things like Entangle or Stonehold.

Empower Spell is a good feat as Empowered Call Lightning, Ice Storm, Firestorm and Flame Strike can clear a room in a round or two.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.