1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Drizzt Thread - For discussion thereof

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Eltharodo, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Eltharodo Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The last one of these has faded out of the forum, and I always liked talking about the aptness/incorrectness of his appearence in BGII. I liked it, and thought that it rounded off one of the greatest fantasy epics ever <im currently telling my borther the sotry of Eltharodo and the Mad Mage Irenicus. Shhh!>

2. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

So, what exactly do you want to discuss concerning Drizzet?

3. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Why is he actually in BGII? Yeah, help out in the vampire pit, or as a source for some neat weapons for a short while, but then again, why on earth did they actually put him in?

The wery first time i played the game i myself was drizzt, or atleast i wanted to make a character that was him. And boom, you are waylaid by enemies, blah blah blah, and there i am! Or he am... Whatever. :rolleyes:

4. MilanChe Gems: 2/31

They've put him in because it's FUN. Why does it bother you? Lots of people that play FR games also read the books with the same thematic, including Salvatore. For me, it was really fun meeting everyone, not just Drizzt, and the feeling of having them as help with Bodhi was great. Guen jumping around, Drizzt hacking, Bruenor anoyed when Drizzt sents him away...ah...memooooooories.

5. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I agree, it adds to the whole ambience of the game. The game makers had a fantastic knowledge of Forgotten Realms, of it's areas, cosmology and history. It is probably one of the best researched games I have ever played. Having Drizzt in the game just adds to the flavour of it all. You are a hero and it is very likely that you would bump into other heroes on your way around. And besides, isn't it cool just to say that Drizzt helped you or that you killed off one of the most famous fantasy characters.

I would liked to have seen some other characters in the game like Cadderly. Or perhaps you could have helped Artemis hunt down Drizzt.

6. Drumheller Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Look at it the other way around: if the makers did not include Drizzt, how many more people would ask why he wasn't added, especially after BG1?

7. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

No no, don't get me wrong, it doesn't bother me at all! And as a matter of fact i HAVE read several books about Drizzt. I guess i cant picture myself besides him or something like that. Drizzt is ... Drizzt! I find it to weird to come across him in a game.

8. MilanChe Gems: 2/31

Not weird to me. They're always going about the realms, doing their heroic work :p ...hey, just like the PC in BG serial. :D

9. Jolt Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] Drizzt is great! I would of been dissapointed if he wasnt in the game when he was in bg1..

10. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

He's there as source of a half deacent scimitar in Bg, and in Bg he's there as a challenge to the party ;) .

11. Bluerose Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

"Half decent"!? That is one of the best weapons in the game! Plus he gives you a nice armour. The best for fighter/thieves.

EDIT: Damn, a new gem. I didn't ask for that!

12. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Meh. He's there to give you around 10 K exp for his party's blood colouring the soil of Amn. :evil:

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

yeah, in BG1, his gear is the best stuff you could hope to find. but in BG2? are you even ALLOWED to save after killing him? i couldn't... and i read somewhere that if you pick his stuff up if he is killed by the vamps, some guy collects his gear. If you want to talk about ambiance, putting jaraxle in, now THAT was classy.

14. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I enjoy meeting all the characters like Drizzt, Elminster, and so on. Even Cadderly for the few seconds you meet him in BG. It brings a better connection to the books and the game. Having the cities is neat, and the rest of the locations, but now you have the characters that we've all read about.

15. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Entreri makes an appearance in the Unfinished Business mod... although it doesn't really make a lot of sense to me, given the circumstances. As big a fan as I am of Drizzt, having Jarlaxle appear was more enjoyable.

16. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Yeah, originally when you go to fight Bodhi, she has Artemis with her, if you enlist Drizzt.

Like I said, I liked having all the characters show up. I would've liked to see more of Alustriel, Duedermont, even Cadderly's friends, or Kierkan Rufo, in the Vampires Guild.

17. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Or, if there was a good side quest involving Drizzt and co., not just a chance happening while tramping along the countryside.

Like Firkraag's quest, or Trademeet, or Umar Hills even. :(

18. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

But the games meant to be about your character. Whats the point of having all these Realms renowned heros all collected in a corner of the Sword Coast? A cameo by one of them maybe, an appearance by one who lives in that region, sure.
    Just because he's a popular charater he gets put in. Personally I wouldn't have missed him in either game. His scimitars in BG yes, but nothing else :p

19. SimDing0 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

There are actually a fairly substantial number of pretty significant errors where the developers didn't know their stuff well enough.
    See here: http://forums.forgottenwars.net/index.php?showtopic=10116

20. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

@SimDing0: I never said they got everything right, as that would be asking way too much. But in general, they got the history and interactions pretty spot on. Their use of specific towns, the organisations within them, etc is all very well done. The use of certain clerics/symbols that appear within the three games is also very cleverly done.

I think I have learnt more from playing the game than reading the D&D manuals. What I find is that I play the game and cross-reference points in the manuals.

I personally would like to have interacted with Cadderly and his party. Or perhaps if you were evil, another evil party could help you with the Vampires.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.