1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Drizzt must die!

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Aikanaro, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

IMHO the drizzt series has been running far to long and has gotten quite out of hand. The story needs closure and it doesn't seem to be getting it any time soon. The Dark Elf Trilogy detailed his escape from Menzoberranzan, The Icewind dale trillogy was him finding friends and happiness. The Legacy of the Drow should have been the last though. And it didn't need to carry on as long as it did. It should have found closure there, maybe with Drizzts death in Menzoberranzan, maybe he for some reason would preffer to join Zaknafein in death or something like that but instead it just keeps on going with no end in sight, the quality of the books getting poorer (except servant of the shard, but this needn't have been linked to Drizzt in any way)

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Not likely to happen any time soon since the Drizzt books are the most profitable novel series for WoTC.

3. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Two quotes from the Good Book might illuminate this problem for you ...

"of the making of many books there is no end." (somewhere in Ecclesiasties)

"the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil" (2 Timothy)

4. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Well, as long as a lot of people buy them, they're going to publish new ones. But when the sales drop, they are going to bring out one more book, which will give them a lot of money, because it is the last in a series. When the last Drizzt-book is published, Salvatore and WoTC, will think of another hero with which they can make a few millions.

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

That is the problem with WOTC. I was expecting a bunch of Drizzt defenders to jump up and start flaming me at any moment, but then, you get that when you attack everyones favorite hero. Drizzt is realy starting to bore me though, and the next trillogy all Drizzt, I don't think I'll bother with it myself

6. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Maybe he and Cattie-Brie or Alustriel will have kids...Then it can be Drizzt, the next generation!!! Then his children can become disillusioned with the surface world and travel back to Menzobarranzan to discover their roots!

This has potential!!! I'm tellin ya! :rolleyes: :p

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Good grief, don't give them ideas! :shake:

8. Lennon Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Now if only there were still authors about who write for something other than profit :(

9. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] Drizzt the next generation??

That would be horribly disgusting! :D

10. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Drizzt needs to join a paladin order, and get down to some good, old-fashioned, Texan-style CLEAVING! :bigeyes: :good:

11. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

"Now if only there were still authors about who write for something other than profit :( "

Try something that isn't Forgotten Realms or DragonLance :p

12. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

im gonna reply in completely moronic language:
    DRIZZT R0XX0R!!

Well i like the Drizzt novels and i dont think that Salvetore writes for money at all :)

13. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Jesper, how many Drizzt books have you read? And which ones?

14. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Drizzt is annoying as Hell, a fact that I discovered a long time ago. His tales of woe are torture, and he is simply too black-and-white minded for his own good!

Kill Drizzt. Period. And publish some books about Zak in Menzoberranzan... now there's a drow to love!

Ara
    (Having an incredible urge to imitate Cait Sith)

15. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Alright, here's a Drizzt-lover for ya. I've no idea what you're all talking about! Drizzt is great! I've read every Drizzt book (except for Sea of Swords, which I'm gonna read as soon as I'm done with the Cormyr Trilogy) and I can't get enough of reading about his heroics. The black-and-white mindedness is what I like most, and the only thing about him that I don't like is his constant struggle with guilt (which Salvatore overemphasizes both with Drizzt and Cadderly).
    Of course, I like every main character in the Drizzt series (Bruenor, Catti-Brie, Wulfgar, Regis, Entreri, Jarlaxle and Zaknafein) and I agree that it'd be cool if Salvatore wrote a few books about Zak's days in the Underdark (since these books would inevitably include Jarlaxle).

16. Mister Rogue Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I do think that Drizzt is getting out of hand and boring, but the books are not losing quality. I am loathe to say it but I prefer Artemis Entreri- perhaps R.A.Salvatore could write about his childhood and ascention in the ranks of Pook's guild... And how he acquired his kick@$$ +5 DAGGER THAT STEALS LIFE FORCE!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

[ August 25, 2002, 12:46: Message edited by: Mister Rogue ]

17. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

For a good recount on Zaknafein's and Jarlaxle's lives go to www.dragonlibrary.com and the story is called 'Rainbow in the Dark'

18. TheNovak Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I gotta stand up for the Drizz-man. Salvatore's a damned good author, IMO, and if he wants to milk the cash cow, he can just write another Star Wars book (he did the novelization for Episode II, for the two or three of you who don't already know :p ). But I gotta agree...I still think Drizzt's cool, but Artemis and Jarlaxle seriously need their own series.

Even though they're villains, they're two of the most likeable characters in the series. Even though they're evil as Hell (erm, Baator), they're still good guys. Servant of the Shard was by far the best Salvatore book I've read (and I've read pretty much all of 'em, save the second Demon War saga and his infamous, Chewie-killing Star Wars novel), and he really should abandon Drizzt for awhile to focus on the loveable assassins, and their gradual turn from darkness and corruption to (at least) a more neutral-ish alignment. Who knows, maybe someday Entreri will even realize how empty his life is, and join a holy order or Tyr?

Well, maybe not. Anyway, that's my twelve or thirteen cents.

19. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I must say that Vector Prime, in which Chewie kicked the bucket, is one of the worst SW books I've read and the worst of RAS, definitely...

Ara
    (Queen of Spam...)

20. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Drizzt! Drizzt! Drizzt! Drizzt!

Don't you get tired of Drizzt? C'mon man (an women also)! Give him a break! The guy needs a vacation in a resort near Neverwinter far away the North!

If I were him, I'd cleave every one of you! (Drizzt is not exactly a social role model you know!)

AND, no, he must not die, just to relax and chill out at Neverwinter I tell ya!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.