1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dragonlance VS Forgotten Realms

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Wassup, Mar 22, 2001.

1. Wassup Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Is there a reason why there's no more project for new game in the DrgaonLance world?

There's a time where a lot of game that take place in DL world where introduce, but now, its almost all in Forgotten Realm.

Is it because its less popular that it use to be?

2. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

That's one reason, FR is more popular as a setting then all the others.

Second is that the Forgotten Realms are just much better developed by WoTC. A game of the size and grandeur of BG set in Dragonlance would require lots of thinking and adding from the makers of the game, time they can better spend at enhancing graphics, improving the game engine, etc. In the old days, when SSI ran the D&D-market, the games were much smaller, so they didn't need a very complex campaign world.

3. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I like both.

4. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I like then both as well but Lord Bane is right FR is much more developed than DL. More book written about it, more modules released in it, etc.

I think for the common user of a BG-like game the setting of 'D&D' is enough for them. Most people who don't play table top don't know about the different worlds. Therefore, it's easier for Bioware to put the game in FR to save themselves time and effort in making a whole new world.

I think it's just the real hardcore gamers (like many of us) that know the difference between FR and DL and have a opinion about which one we like the most. But we do not repersent the normal population who those buying the game, or at least only a part of it. Thus Bioware can't pick the FR with many problems.

5. Shura Gems: 25/31

Since we're on the topic of DL, is Raistlin good or evil? I've just started reading DL books and he seems like a pretty messed up fellow to me.

6. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Hmm... now to answer that would be to give away too much. Raistlin is one of the most intriguing characters in the series. If you're reading the Chronicles, check out the Twins series after. It's excellent!

7. Wassup Gems: 9/31

[​IMG] You are at the beginning? So he have his red robe, so he's neutral. Cant say much. You will learn the rest in your reading.

[This message has been edited by Wassup (edited March 23, 2001).]

8. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] SSHHHHH !!!!!

9. Wassup Gems: 9/31

[​IMG] What is your favorite caracter in DL ?

Mine was Sturm. Sad story... And Kitiara.

10. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31

Well, aside from my abiding infatuation with a certain bearded half elf...

Definitely Raistlin!! His character development hooked me from the very beginning. Then I'd have to say Kitiara. I guess I tend to enjoy the complexities of the conflict within the two of them.

11. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I thought they were all fairly well done, however if you look at most of the characters they were quite predictable. Caramon would die for his brother, Tanis was perhaps tempted several times but generally did the right thing. Tasslehoff just had such child-like innocence that continually drove Flint crazy.
    I agree with Darien on this one, Raistlin has to be my favourite. That's not to say I liked him the most, just that I found him the most interesting. There were times when you just never knew how he would react. Generally he did things for his own benefit, but there were times such as with Bupu or with Lady Crysania (sp?) that I was just never sure.

12. Shura Gems: 25/31

Ertuu kicks everyone's ass.

13. Hellfire20098 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Tanis kicked ass then and kicks ass now

14. Vandalore Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I got interested into D&D through Forgotten Realms so I have to give it a lot of credit. Although, recently I've been reading Dragonlance and I enjoy that a lot too. It's very hard to say which is better. They both are full of goodies.

15. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] I've only heard of Dragonlance in passing, such as now.

Can anybody tell me what is it, and if it has any merits?

16. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31

It's fantastic... Check out the list here, and start at the top. The Chronicles Trilogy is a great adventure, with some very interesting characters. I highly recommend it.
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Books/index_dl.php

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2018
  17. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I would also recommend the chronicles triology. Assuming, of course, you don't think about the plot too much. Don't get me wrong-it's fantastic (pun intended) writing. It's just that I have problem with a group of completely average people (with the exception of Raistlin) saving the world from evil. If that doesn't bother you, go buy the Chronicles Triology now.

18. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31

[​IMG] Thanks Darien, but those are only the titles of the books. I was hoping that somebody could tell me about the campaign setting, what makes it unique, what "feel" it has, etc.

The only campaign settings I have been exposed to are Greyhawk, FR and Planescape. In my opinion, the Planescape setting is the best. FR feels like stock fantasy, whereas Greyhawk has little that I find unique. Actually, this is because I'm biased towards the Planescape setting.

Then again, I see the need to have exposure to the Prime worlds. Experiences are different.....right now I'm favoring Greyhawk although I think it lacks colour, if only because I think too much has already been written about Faerun.

19. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31

[​IMG] And another thing about Greyhawk, the sappy names. Man, the names are even sappier than in FR!

Countries, places, towns, people, all sappy!

I think I'll use the Oriental Adventures setting instead.

20. Shura Gems: 25/31

Maybe you could have a master swordsman called Shura the Kensai as an NPC in your campaign Rak.
    All your paladin PCs will tremble in fear.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.