1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dragon Armor (Forgotten Realms fantasy)

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Lord Garak, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Lord Garak Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well this is the first story I'm posting on the net. It's based on a dream I had so the main character is me.His thoughts and feelings and the like are mine in real life(mostly). Don't worry this is just chapter one and it will get better and better the more I writte. Please excuse any spelling mystakes(point them out if you wish) and feel free to make any comments, the more opinions the better.

Dragon Armor

I opened my eyes and groaned. Another boring day , I thought. I got out of the bed and went to wash my self. After I finished I took my dagger and started shaving. Yes I know using a dagger is not very safe but I had nothing else. At least I didn’t cut myself, I already had a few scars. One running from my left eye toward my scalp, one crossing my stomach, two on the left arm and one on my right leg. Well I guess that is part of the danger of being a mercenary. Could be worse. For example, just two days ago we ran into some goblins and poor Jarvell lost his life. He took an arrow right in the throat. Goblins might be annoying but they are good with a bow. Anyway after I finished shaving and got dressed I went down. The inn we were staying at was pretty good and the food wasn’t bad. I found the rest of the mercenaries outside. They were getting ready to leave. Now that was weird, since we were supposed to stay at this inn for another four days. Unless Kaimar decided we had better things to do except waiting for some mage. I went over toward Barlok to find out why we were going.
    “So what’s happening?” I asked.
    “We are leaving.” said Barlok.
    I shook my head, like usual Barlok stated the obvious without expanding the sentence. But in his defense I do have to point out the fact that half-orcs were never very bright. Barlok is no exception, he’s very strong and good in a fight but he’s also a bit stupid.
    “I noticed we’re leaving” I said with a patient voice “but were are we going and why?”
    Barlok looked at me as if I grew horns, then he smiled and said.
    “Boss take us to Westgate. He said lots of coin there.”
    I thought about that for a minute. Westgate was still a few days travel from here and our supplies were almost gone, but there are a couple of villages on the way. But what kind of work did Kaimar think he would find in Westgate I have no idea. Whatever, it wasn’t my job to question our leaders decisions. I patted Barlok on the shoulder and went to get my horse.
    An hour later we left the inn and headed toward Westgate. To bad we wouldn’t get there.
    Why?
    Because we were ambushed, that’s why.
    We were going through Galthmere wood when it happened. Kaimar was leading us like usual when we heard a strange noise. Next thing we knew a huge boulder landed right on Kaimar and our brave leader was turned into puddle of blood, bones and clothes, along with his horse. Then out of nowhere came a rain of arrows and six more fell dead.
    “Form up!” I shouted at the surviving men.
    They did as they were told but before we could form up we were attacked by orcs. Where in the Nine Hells did they come from? And behind them came a hill giant bearing a huge tree. The orcs were almost upon us when the giant used the tree like a broom against us. Scattered as we were, we had no chance.
    “Run!!” shouted someone.
    Before I could run two orcs attacked me. Both had huge war axes, which was good for me. I slipped under their strokes and gutted one of them with my longsword. The orc fell screaming but I didn’t really care. I just turned and lunged at the second. My blade went through his leather shirt and right in his heart. I took out my blade and looked around. The orcs were butchering the rest of the men. I looked for Barlok but I couldn’t see him. Having done all I could, which wasn’t much, I ran deeper into the wood. As I kept running an arrow flew past my head, followed by a second and then a third. Apparently the orcs noticed me when I ran. How I hate running from a fight, but that does not mean I’ve got a death wish. Soon I could hear howling and footsteps behind me. I looked behind and saw four orcs with scimitars and two goblin archers. Then I tripped on a root. As I hit the ground my sword flew from my hand. I scrambled after it when I heard a sound from behind me. I looked and saw an orc with a scimitar raised over his head, ready to spill my brains all over the place. Without thinking I shoved my heel in his groin. The orc fell to his knees and dropped the scimitar. As the orc realized his mistake I picked up the scimitar and cut his head. The decapitated body fell to the ground leaking a lot of blood. I looked for my longsword and found it. I took in my right hand and I got ready for some more killing. The orc I killed was probably some sort of lookout who was supposed to kill anyone escaping the massacre, to bad he ran into me. I didn’t have long to wait before the orcs reached me. I ducked under the first ones swing and gutted him with the longsword. As I came up I brought my scimitar up and blocked a stroke that would have been the end of me. I then used the longsword to parry another swing and I shot out with my right foot hitting the third orc right in the jaw. He fell to ground and didn’t move. I then swung the longsword toward the second orc. He didn’t notice the blade and paid for it. I took of a quarter of his head and spilled his brains all over the place. Then I ducked and raised the longsword over my head while swinging the scimitar. As I expected the longsword stoped the orcs blow and my scimitar cut right through his legs. The orc fell screaming and I got up. While looking around for the goblins I reversed my grip on the longsword and stabbed down right into the orcs eye. The sword went through his eye into his brain, killing him instantly. I took out the sword and went to search for the goblins. I took five steps away from the dead orcs went the two goblins came charging from behind a tree. They had dropped their bows and were using curved daggers big enough to be swords, for them I mean. I used the long sword to block both their attacks and with the scimitar I cut down the first goblin. The second one took a step back but before he could do anything I lunged forward and impaled him on my scimitar. The scimitars tip came out of the goblins back. He was dead all right. I dropped the scimitar and turned away.
    And the ground disappeared from beneath my feet.
    I guess it was a trap door of some sort, not that it matters anymore. I found myself sliding down a tunnel that did not seem to have an end. I was proven wrong a few seconds later as I came out of the tunnel. I fell on a pile of old rags that released what looked like a thousand years worth of dust. I didn’t much notice the dust since I felt as if a dragon spit me out of his mouth, but without all the drool. After a while I got tired of sitting in the dark so I got up. I had no idea were I was, and I couldn’t see anything, so I started to walk around randomly. I must have run into a wall at least five times. Then my foot hit something metallic. I reached for it, very hard when it’s completely dark around you, and as I grab it I realize it’s a torch.
    “Great, now all I need is something to light it with.” I said out loud.
    Maybe I should have kept quiet, for all the good that would have done. Because just then all the torches in the room suddenly lit up and the room is flooded with light. It hurt my eyes since I was used to the darkness down there. But when I could see again I saw something that was not good. I was in a very big room filled with all sorts of things but the five figures in the middle of the room had all my attention. One of them was a lich and the other four looked like starved kobolds. What they were doing here I could not guess but then where exactly was here? I was just starting to wonder why I didn’t hear the kobolds, noisy little creatures, when I noticed that they were in a trance. The lich was controlling the four kobolds. Without a word from the lich the four kobolds charged toward me. The crude spears they had didn’t look very useful against an armed opponent but I had no weapons since my longsword was somewhere in this room. So I improvised. When the first kobold was about to impale me, I got out of his way and bashed his head with the torch. He fell without any noise. The other three had stopped but I didn’t waist any time. I picked up the spear and threw it at the second kobold. He dropped to the ground with a spear sticking out of his forehead. Just as the other two started to come toward me I look to my right and see a table cluttered with bottles. I ran toward it and I sweep the bottles from the table. Then I pick up the table and turn toward the kobolds. Just in time since the two were very close. I brake the table and their skulls at the same time. Then I turn toward the lich. He just stares at me, though I think he was just getting ready to cast some spell on me. I never found out.
    The door behind the lich bursts apart in a thousand pieces that rain all over the room and a mighty bronze dragon enters the room. Before the lich can do anything the dragon’s mouth opens and fire comes out. The lich is turned into a burning torch but he just stands there while the flames consume him. The dragon then stares at me. Before I can do anything he turns and says.
    “Follow me.”
    What can I do? I follow him into a room so big I couldn’t see the ceiling or the other end. In the middle of the room I notice an altar. And upon it two sets of armor. The dragon goes toward it and stops there. I stop next to him thinking, It’s a bronze dragon, their usually good dragons, they don’t harm someone without reason . And so on.
    “What were you doing there human?”
    “I fell through a trap door off some sort.”
    “So that’s how the lich got in. I’m surprised you didn’t see it.”
    “It was covered with leaves and branches and things. Besides I was being chased by orcs!”
    “Orcs?”
    “Yes orcs! They ambushed me and the rest of the mercenarys I was with. I was lucky to escape, only to find a lich with four kobold servants.”
    The dragon looks at me patiently. Then he says.
    “Calm down young man. I know you are angry but now is not the time for this. The orcs and the lich work for someone else. They came here for something.”
    Orcs, goblins, kobolds, hill giants and a lich, that’s when I realized something weird was going on.
    “Who are they working for… O mighty dragon?”
    “Spare me the flattery. You can talk freely to me. But before I answer your question I must know your name.”
    A dragon you don’t have to flatter, now there’s something.
    “My name is Hirad Stoneheart.”
    “Stoneheart. Is that your name, stone heart, or was it given to you by the mercenaries?”
    “It’s my name.”
    “Very well, Stoneheart.”
    “Could you please call me Hirad?” I ask “No one calls me Stoneheart.”
    “Very well… Hirad. But know this. The name Stoneheart will be known across Faerun, if you decide to help me. Look at the armor on the altar.”
    I do as he said and look at the armor. And my jaw falls. Both sets are identical. The armor is a full plate, completely black except for the elfish decorations, which are red. I pick up a gauntlet from one set. Nothing special about it, except it’s beauty. I put it down and pick up a gauntlet from the other set. The gauntlet was supposed to be heavy but it’s as light as a leather shirt. Seeing the expression on my face the dragon says.
    “The first gauntlet you took is a replica of the original. But the original… Well it’s made from dragon scales. Not the scales from one species but from all of them. The outer layer is made of black dragon scales combined with some red dragon scales. I will not tell you how the other layers are made because you do not need to know that.”
    “You said my name would be known across Faerun if I helped you. What do mean?”
    “Should you decide to help me you would first have to join my order. It’s an ancient order whose name you have never heard and is better you never know. The order was always dedicated to stopping evil and preserving the lives of those who deserve to live.
    The order always had two followers. A dragon and his warrior. The dragon stayed here while the warrior went across Faerun to end evil until his time came to die. If the warrior died away from here the dragon would use a special spell to summon the armor back or if he could, he would try to summon back the warriors spirit. The orders last warrior died a thousand years ago and I could not summon his spirit, nor could I find someone worthy of his place. But you have potential. All you have to do is say you want to join me and I shall tell you the rest. If you refuse… you may leave but you may also doom many to their death. Do as you will.”
    Without hesitation I said.
    “I’ll join you.”
    Two days later I left the hideout. I was wearing the armors replica because I was to wear the real one only if I would really need it’s protection and strength. For example, if I ever found myself in the Nine Hells. But for now all I was thinking of were the dragons last words before I left.
    “Go into the world and fight evil. You shall not be alone. You will search for those who will help you, those who will also need you. Together nothing will stop you. But remember these words. If you come face to face with a man of darkness, whose hatred burns brighter than the sun, your end will come .”

[ December 14, 2004, 20:19: Message edited by: Lord Garak ]

2. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I have already detailed my opinion privately, but I think this has some potential

3. Kelvon Shadowmane Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Really Nice! I've read it at english class and I liked it. You gave it to Aka, right? I'm waiting for the next chapter of your never boring dream...

4. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Yeah, a word of advice, just split the thing up a bit, just double space at the end of paragraphs and stuff to make it easier on the eyes. Other than that good job.

5. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Pretty good, I look forward to seeing to continuation of this...
    :borg:

6. Lord Garak Gems: 7/31

After 3 weeks of not touching the computer(with five short exceptions) I have the second chapter ready. I promise the next one will be more interesting. It'll be about trying to get into the Nine Hells to rescue someone and then getting out.

Band of Mercenaries

I’m so glad that the dragon gave me some money as well. Actually he gave me twenty thousand gold pieces, very queer considering that dragons are very protective of their treasures. Anyway all that money proved to be useful since I walked to the nearest village ,Starmantle, and bought a horse. And not just any horse, I found a mercenary who was desperate for money and I gave him two thousand gold pieces for his warhorse and the military saddle.

After that I decided to go to Westgate. The journey there was not a quick one since I was starting to wonder if the dragon was a prophet or something.

Two days after leaving the village I stopped when I heard what sounded like a lot of goblins arguing amongst themselves. I tied the horse to a tree and went to investigate. I was right of course, in the middle of a little clearing I saw ten goblins bickering for a small piece of meat. I swear I’ll never understand goblins, they can be a danger when in large numbers but they are as dim as a demon is evil. I was just about to attack them when I noticed movement in the bushes, on the other side of the clearing. I circled the goblin camp and headed toward the place I saw the movement come from.

I almost burst out in laughter but I controlled myself. There right in front of me had to be either the dumbest or the drunkest ranger ever to walk the earth. I say that because he didn’t notice me when I approached, he moved enough that I noticed him and the expression on his face suggested that he tried to beat a dwarf in a drinking contest. He also needed a bath, a hair cut, new clothes and Silvanus knew what else. His clothes were so dirty and full of holes that not even a zombie would be caught dead wearing them. The hazards of being a ranger I suppose, I always liked rangers but the few I actually met were, if not better dressed, at least clean. His hair was so long I suspected that he didn’t leave the woods for at least four months. The simple thought of living in the woods for that long a period sends shivers up my spine. As for the smell. He either didn’t wash all the time he spent in the woods or he killed a troll and forgot to wash. I really hoped it was second variant.
    It was a wonder the goblins didn’t smell his presence, then again they don’t smell very nice either. I took two more steps when the ranger turned toward me and put his fingers to his lips in a gesture that could only mean Quiet. I shrugged and moved next to him in the bushes. He turned toward me again.

“What are you doing here?” He said in a voice so low I could barely hear him.

“Wanted to see if I could help.” I whispered back.

He just stared at me for a while then asked me if I had some arrows to give him. I told him I had a few and he smiled wickedly, showing white teeth that contrasted with all the mud on his face. We circled back to where I left the horse and when I thought the goblins couldn’t hear me anymore I asked.

“What in the name of Tempus is with that smell?”

“I wounded a troll recently” he said” and the dam thing sprayed everything around it with blood. Including me.”

I almost laughed again but instead I searched through the backpack for those arrows the dragon gave me. Come to think of it that dragon gave me a lot of stuff. When I found the arrows I gave them to him, along with the bow.

“Thanks for the gear my good man. Is there any way I could repay you? After I kill those goblins of course.”

I looked at him and wondered how he could help me. Then I remembered what the dragon said.

“Well if you want to help me I do have an offer to make. If you’r interested meet me at the entrance to Westgate in three weeks.”

“I’ll think about it. Though it would help if I knew what you were offering.”

I gave him one off my famous smiles, the ones that make me look like some malefic wizard bent on conquering the world. He quickly turned and left. This time I did laugh.

A few hours after I left the ranger to his work I decided to stop and eat something. I left the horse to graze while I prepared some of the meat I found in the backpack. I had to spend a lot of time cutting it because the two chunks were about the size of my head. After that I left the meat to be cooked while I went to a nearby tree to get a plate. I used my dagger to cut of some of the bark and then I went back to my camp fire. The plate was a bit cold since the dagger I had was enchanted with a cold spell. It wasn’t named Frozen Death for nothing. Still the meat was good and I managed to enjoy my meal. After that I continued to head to Westgate.

On the way there I had to cross some mountains. While crossing them I came upon a devastated temple of Mystra. I was so surprised to see it that at first I didn’t notice the elf kneeling before the temple. When I did notice him I thought he was praying, only when I heard the sounds coming from him did I realize he was crying. I got off my horse and went next to him. As I got closer I noticed the symbol on his chainmail, a circle of seven blue white stars. The elf was probably a paladin of Mystra, which would explain why he was crying in front of a destroyed temple. I knelt beside him and put a hand on his shoulder. He looked at me, his face a mask of grief and despair. Tears were streaming from his blue eyes and down his fair elven face.

“Who are you?” He asked with a croaking voice. He must have shouted a lot of curses before he began crying.

“I’m a friend” I said” I just want to see if I can help you.”

“No, no one can help me.” After which he remained silent for some time. I didn’t leave because I knew he might try to kill himself. I saw men do that when confronted with the loss of their family or homes. In those cases the grief is simply too much and they kill themselves rather than continue living. That or they go mad and still end up dead. I stood there for and hour when suddenly the elf raised his arms and cried.

“How can such evil exist? How can he commit such an atrocity and go unpunished?”

Then he looked at me and told me happened. Apparently a traveler came at the temple and asked for food and a place to sleep for the night. The monks, clerics and paladins welcomed him with open arms and gave him food and a bed. The next morning before leaving the traveler said he wanted to thank the monks for their hospitality. But instead of thanking them he killed them. He uttered some words and five fireballs came out of each hand and each fireball went straight for one of the monks. Those that tried to hide behind something found that the fireballs could pass through objects like ghosts, just to reach their target and kill him. All that was left of the monks were a few carbonized corpses. When the clerics and paladins tried to stop the traveler, he took the sword he had and attacked with such speed and ferocity that the twenty clerics and paladins were retreating before him. No one could stop him since he moved to fast and his attacks were made with deadly precision. When only a few paladins were still alive the traveler quickly ran outside and casted the fireballs again. This time they did not go through the temple but exploded with tremendous force upon contact with the building. The temple could not resist and collapsed. And the traveler left just as mysteriously as he arrived, leaving nothing but death and destruction in his wake. It was truly a miracle that the elf had survived.

After thinking about the matter I decided to continue my travel toward Westgate. But first I told the elf that if he wanted to stop such evil he should meet me in Westgate. He agreed and continued to stare at the ruble which had been his temple. I truly felt sorry for the elf but unless he decided to accept that in this world there would always be such evil I could do nothing for him.

I think the dragon really was a prophet when he said I’ll find others willing to help me in this eternal battle between good and evil.

Just as I was leaving the mountains I heard the sounds of battle. Without pausing to think I headed toward the sounds.

Leave it to me to run into the middle of a mage fight. Three red robed mages were bombarding with spells another mage which was hooded and was wearing some brown robes that completely hid him, he was also wearing gloves. And he was in desperate need of aid. While it is true that I didn’t know what this conflict was about I didn’t hesitate to rush in and help the lone mage. Like usual my instinct was right. I took my bastard sword in my right hand and I charged in, coming right in front of the three mages. They were so shocked when they saw me that they completely forgot what they were doing. I really wasn’t going to kill them but all they saw was a man in a black full plate armor, with red elfish decorations, with a bastard sword in hand, and riding a black horse, charging toward them with all the speed and fury of a Nightmare.

Out of reflex or fear they began casting Finger of Death. I was no fool and I ran down the first mage, the horses hooves crushing his skull and spilling his brains all over the place. The second mage only had time to see my blade heading toward him. After that his head was rolling across the ground, a expression of disbelief upon his face. The third mage stopped casting and just looked down to see the tip of my sword emerging from his chest. I wonder what hurt the most, the wound itself or the acid that was always dripping from my blade. Anyway he looked at the wound once and then he fell. I think the poor guy had a heart attack or something.

I turned to the mage I just saved, all the while hoping that I didn’t kill the wrong people. The mage approached and looked down at the three corpses. When his shoulders began to shake I realized he was laughing. But no sound was emerging from his mouth. That’s when I suspected that someone had cast Silence. To be honest that wasn’t my problem. I quickly told the mage about an interesting offer I had and he just shook his head, he said yes. Glad that I accomplished something I left the mage to rob the three corpses of whatever they had.

Three weeks later I was going toward Wesgate’s main gate when I heard a lot of shouting, cursing and tables breaking. I went inside the inn and looked at the mess. Broken tables, chairs and kegs of ale everywhere. And spilled ale covering the floor and giving the inn an unpleasant smell. And in the middle of it all was a dwarf and a small human. The dwarf was obviously angry and it was easy to figure out at who. The human looked a little afraid but he also looked like he was nuts. It was the first time that I saw a human face manage to resemble the stupid joy I saw on goblin faces. That or he was the best simpleton ever. Since a crowd was gathering I quickly went between the two and stopped the dwarfs attempt to brake the humans neck.

“Get out of me way!” shouted the dwarf.

“Don’t hurt me, I was only having fun.” Replied the human.

“I don’t care what you were doing or why!” I shouted at the top of my lungs. “Now both of you sit down before I break your necks!” I continued to shout.

I think they decided I was truly serious because they both sat down, on broken chairs.

“Now what in the Nine Hells is going on here?” I asked.

“ That little sneak tried to steel the kegs of ale in this inn.”

“I was going to bring them back.”

“No you weren’t . You could barely carry out one keg. And you even dropped that one!!!”

“It wasn’t my fault. I tripped on that cat sleeping by the door.”

“Liar! You did it on purpose! You wanted to leave me without any ale. You miserable thief!”

They kept at it until I was bored to death. Finally they shut up when the innkeeper arrived. He was hiding down in the wineceller but that’s beyond the point he wanted to make. What that was will be one of the unresolved mysteries of this world. Of course the innkeeper started to shout some more. And then the dwarf and the thief started to shout. I couldn’t take it anymore. I took out five thousand gold pieces and stuffed them in the innkeepers pocket. When he didn’t notice them I took off one of my gauntlets and hit him in the mouth so hard you could hear the way his jaw broke. I then turned toward the dwarf and the thief and told them to follow me. They silently complied.

When I reached the main gate I saw the elven paladin and the dirty ranger but I couldn’t see the mage. The only other person was a beautiful red head, with a long graceful neck and the most captivating eyes I ever saw. It took me about a minute to recognize the robes she was wearing. The mage I rescued was no he, he was a she. Like I said, my instinct was right. I was always a sucker for beautiful women, even if none of them cared. I was hoping that I wouldn’t get any ugly wounds because of her. The scar on my stomach, well I got that one so that a young woman could live. I almost traded my life for hers that day but thankfully there was a cleric nearby.

As I looked at the elf, the red head, the dwarf, the thief and the ranger I knew I had found those that would help me in my battle against evil. I could feel it. Together we were unstoppable.

[ January 13, 2005, 08:52: Message edited by: Lord Garak ]

7. Kelvon Shadowmane Gems: 12/31

I haven't read the second part yet, but i will soon. I'll just edit this post.

EDIT:
    nice, nice, nice! waiting for number 3!

[ January 19, 2005, 15:49: Message edited by: Kelvon Shadowmane ]

8. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Nice bit of work, Garak. I hope your party won't have to face the badass who leveled the Mystran temple too soon...

9. Kelvon Shadowmane Gems: 12/31

Well, is #3 comming, or what?
    Untill then > :beer: and :banana:

10. Lord Garak Gems: 7/31

So far this is only half of chapter three. Don't worry I'll finish it. I'll finish the whole story, eventually. Oh and remember when I said my name is taken from a caracter I created? Well you'll find out a few things about him.

Go to Hell

The next month was a bit weird as we were trying to get used to working with each other. Cristi, our rogue, proved to be the worst rogue in Faerun. He either couldn’t disarm traps or he couldn’t find them. So me and the dwarf, Stoneater, kept running into all sort of traps.

Then there was Harry, the ranger, who refused to fight if he didn’t have any arrows. So that meant that me, the dwarf and the elf were doing all the close combat, since Cristi was a coward when a sword was drawn.

As for Andreea, the mage, well … I had a bad feeling that because of her I would get into a lot of trouble.

Still everything was going pretty well for us until we accepted a job to clear out a tomb that was infested with ghouls. We were waiting for Cristi to pick the lock so that we could go inside when we heard Cristi say something obscene about Mask. We quickly turned toward him only to see a portal open right in front of him and suck him in. After which we heard a voice that could only be described as demonic. What that voice said I’ll never know since Andreea refused to tell us. She only said that the portal led into the Nine Hells of Baator. After that statement we just stood there looking at one another.

“ Well?” asked Andreea.

“Well what?” said Stoneater.

“Are going after him or not?”

None of us said anything because while going after him was the right thing to do, going into the Nine Hells was not so easy. After a while I asked Andreea.

“Can you get us into the Hells?”

She thought about it and then said.

“I’ll need the spell to open a portal into the Hells.” Before I could ask anything else she said. “I know were to get a scroll with the spell.”

So we went back to the inn we were staying at and Andreea told us were we could find the scroll. It was in the tower of a wizard, somewhere south of Westgate. As it turned out the tower belonged to the wizard who sent those three mages to kill Andreea. It was also the place where she learned the ways of magic.

We decided to use Andreea’s meld spell on some arrows. When the arrows would hit the tower they would meld with it leaving only the rope tied to them. The rope’s end would become one with the wall so we could use it to climb up the tower. When Andreea suggested she go alone I protested.

“I can take care of myself you know” she said” and besides I know the area.”

“Yes but who’ll watch your back while you search for the scroll?”

“I can manage. Besides how do you plan to climb a wall wearing a full plate?”

“I’ll go without the armor. It wouldn’t be the first time.”

She looked at me with some amusement and asked.

“What are you afraid of?”

It took me a few seconds to respond.

“Nothing. Why?” I lied of course.

“Just asking.” she said “ Very well you can come along if you wish.”

Two days later I was watching Harry shoot two arrows toward the lonely tower. After we made sure the meld was good Andreea and me started climbing. I can’t understand how she could climb with that robe on. Anyway I was happy the rope held, falling down was not something I looked forward to. When we reached the seventh floor we stopped.

“This is the floor we want.” She said.

I looked at the bared window and couldn’t imagine a way in. Then Andreea smiled , and what a beautiful smile it was, and stated to squeeze in. She had to bend her body in some odd angles to get in but she managed. Meanwhile all I could do was stare at her. When she was inside she turned toward me and said.

“You wait for me here.” Then she was gone.

I was determined to get in that tower so I continued to climb. After passing two more bared windows I came to a normal one. Without trying to be quiet or stealthy I just opened the window and went inside. I found myself in a long corridor. It had a lot of doors on both sides and what looked like a T junction at the end. I decided to go to the right and see where that lead. After a while I came to the end of the corridor. There where six doors there but only one was locked. I decided to see what was in that one so I took out my bastard sword and went next to the door. Since the blade had an acid enchantment on it, it kept dripping acid. I kept the blade above the lock until the acid managed to burn through it. The lock fell to the ground making a lot of noise. Thankfully no one was around so I opened the door and entered the dark room.

I looked for a candle and after a while I found one. After I managed to light it I looked around the room. It was sparsely furnished. It only had a bed, a nightstand and a chest. I also noticed a book on the nightstand so I went to check it out first. After setting the candle on the nightstand I picked up the book. It appeared to be a journal of some kind. I read the last entry:

“I have returned from the quest Kazar has sent me on, only to find I was betrayed. My own master has betrayed me. When I came back he told me that Andreea had run away.”

I stopped for a moment. Could this be the same Andreea that travels with us? My curiosity was stronger than my desire to find her right then so I continued reading.

“I can’t believe she would run away without leaving me a message. She knows how much I care about her.
    And I was right. Only a few hours ago I was told what had happened. The…. person who told me could not be fully trusted. But I don’t care. I still don’t know why she left but she had to have a good reason. Not that it matters. I found out Kazar had sent three of his best students to kill her. While I think she is a very good mage, I don’t think she can beat the three killers.
    Well…. Kazar has managed to get rid off his best student. I swear I shall have his head on a spike for what he did. And if I ever find those three mages, I will turn them inside out. I will do as I was advised. Revenge will be sweet.”

I put the book down and just stared at it. Kazar, in whose tower we happened to be at that very moment, wanted to kill Andreea. What could she have done that her own master wanted her dead? Well I didn’t have time to wonder about that so I took of the backpack I was wearing and I put the book in it. After I got my sword in my right hand and made sure my backpack was strapped securely to my back I headed toward the door. But before I could get to it the door started opening.

I immediately took a fighting position, left foot in front, with all my weight on my right foot and both hands on the sword’s hilt, keeping it’s pommel close to my thigh and the tip pointed toward the door. As the door opened fully I was ready to close in quickly and disembowel whoever was coming in. But before I could attack I recognized Andreea. She looked surprised to see me and I quickly relaxed. Then she looked at a point behind me and said something confusing.

“Drako! Don’t!”

“Andreea?” said a rough whispering voice in my head. Before I could figure out what was happening something small but hard came from behind me and clipped the side of my head. I managed to roll with the blow. I hit the ground shoulder first, continued to roll and quickly came back on my feet. At first all I saw was something small with scales landing on Andreea’s chest. I was getting ready to cut the thing in two when Andreea said to me.

“Hirad put down your sword. It’s ok.”

I was a bit confused about what just happened but I trusted her. That’s when I took the time to look at the creature she was holding in her arms. It looked like a miniature red dragon but without the arrogant look in it’s eyes. Then I remembered that the two monks who raised me had showed me the drawing of such a creature. It was a pseudodragon.

“Hirad I thought I told you to wait for me. What are you doing here?”

“I decided you still might need some help so I found a way in.” She looked at me as if I was supposed to say something else. “And then I got lost” I finished lamely.

“And almost got killed by Drako.” Did I detect a note of concern in her voice?

“I didn’t notice anything when I came in. Where was he and who is he exactly?”

I was expecting Andreea to answer me but I heard that voice in my head again.

“Drako was hiding near the ceiling. You did not look there… Hirad. Drako belong to Garak.” Then I could swear the voice in my head became sad. “But Garak is gone and Drako is lonely.” The little pseudodragon looked at Andreea and I could actually see some hope appear in his reptilian eyes. I was expecting to hear his voice again but I didn’t. Instead Andreea nodded and said.

“Yes you can remain with me Drako.” That’s when I realized that Drako could communicate either with all of us or just one person. The advantages of communicating telepathically I suppose. Hmm, maybe I should have paid more attention to Galiveth’s lessons.

“So what are you doing here?” I asked Andreea.

“Besides saving your neck?”

“Oh … yeah. Thanks.” Boy did I feel like an ass.

“Any time.” She said. “ To answer your question I came here to get Drako. And see a … friend. But I guess he left.” As she finished her sentence I noticed a sadness in her voice. For some reason that saddened me as well.

“We should probably get going.” I said. I wanted something to distract me because when I feel sad I tend to get depressed very quickly. And I needed that about as much as I needed a ghoul chewing my leg.

While we were heading to Kazar’s lab, Drako started flying around us and was saying something to Andreea. I could tell because she was smiling and that somehow made me want to smile. But I suppressed the urge because something was different and I didn’t know what. After a while Drako gently landed on my shoulder.

“Drako wonders who might you be, Hirad?”

I looked to Andreea but she didn’t seem to hear anything so I decided to try something. I’m the one who killed the three mages sent to assassinate Andreea. I’m a friend. I said in my mind.

“ Drako belive you. Also Drako saw you take Garak’s journal. Drako did not tell this to Andreea but Drako wants to know why you took the journal?”

I took it because I thought it might interest Andreea. I half lied. Truth be told I wasn’t very sure why I took the journal. Drako, where Andreea and Garak close?

“Yes they were close.” Said Drako’s voice in my head. Again I began to feel a bit sad. “But Drako did not tell Andreea that Garak changed.”

What do you mean?

“After hearing that Andreea left, Garak became bitter. He talked to someone. Drako not know who. But three days after coming from quest, Garak left again. He seemed very angry. Drako wory for Garak.”

I’m sure he’ll be alright.

“ Drako not think so. Garak’s anger was great. Drako worries Garak might do something foolish.”

I had nothing to say about that so we continued our journey in silence. Eventually we came to Kazar’s lab. Of course it was locked but Andreea used a spell to turn the lock in water. I hoped Kazar likes to mop the floor. Once inside Andreea quickly found the scroll she needed and we went back out the way we came in. What bothered me about the whole thing is that the tower seemed devoid of any life. When I asked Drako about it he said he had no idea what might have happened.

Six hours later I had finished donning the Dragon Armor. The real one, not the replica. It felt weird wearing it, it was very light and even though I had expected it to be cold to the touch, it was in fact warm. At least the inside of the armor was warm, the outside was as cold as metal. That was when I found out why the dragon told me not to wear anything else under the armor, I would have managed to cook myself. The armor also made me feel stronger, healthier, faster, heck I even thought I could see better, as if I had a hawks eyes. When Drako first saw me he said.

“Hirad now look like wingless dragon.”

Stoneater just laughed and Elf snorted. I think he was still angry at me for an incident that happened as we where leaving Kazar’s tower. Elf was annoyed that I couldn’t pronounce his name so he wrote it on a piece of paper My pronunciation was so terrible that he just threw away the paper in disgust and refused to talk to me. Meanwhile Stoneater, Andreea and Drako couldn’t stop laughing.

Well that doesn’t matter. I looked at my companions and asked.

“Ready?”

They looked at me and nodded. I could see the determination on their faces, we would either return with Cristi or not at all. I looked at Andreea and nodded. She read the scroll and when she was done the air in front of me started to burn. A fiery line formed itself and then it started to tear open. Like a drop of water on the floor it widened until it was big enough that someone could pass through it. Its edges were wreathed in flame like a frame and in the middle I could see a barren land raked by fierce winds and in the distance a huge fortress. Taking a deep breath to calm myself I entered the portal before the others. I willingly went to Hell.

11. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Very nice, Garak. I like the way the relationships between characters are developing.

Sorry about your head (reference your RBP about falling on ice).

In Hirad's place, I'd have already slipped a dagger between Cristi the Useless Rogue's ribs. He should be thankful he's a plot device...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.