1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dragon Age: Origins "Violence" Trailer

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by Azereki, May 12, 2009.

1. Jq-Amp Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

To quote Tycho (from pennyarcade.com)

"Take a sip of this, friend; be soothed."

edit- at least, i found it 10 times better :)

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  2. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Music fits nice with the trailer IMO. It's a trailer about violence, it fits perfect if you ask me and no I do not like this kind of music, not at all in fact. It works here though.

Game looks great if you ask me. If they can incorporate great dialogue and gameplay with elements (and that includes the sex, I still get amazed at people having a problem with this) such as seen in the trailer this could be a great game, perhaps even a step forward in the genre.

3. Nekator Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

*yawns* Did anyone say that it is good only because of the mature content OR that the game only contains of it? None, exclude some critics here.

fully agree, no more to say :)

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Good points Faye. :thumb:

Also, the whole ratings process is meaningless, regarding what's "mature" and what isn't, since it's set by a bunch of politicians, who are just as pandering as the gaming corps (maybe worse). The parents should be the real gatekeepers in that regard.

5. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:

Neither did I. Dragon Age isin't even out yet so I don't claim to say that its only good because of mature content or only contains that. I'm just stating my opinion that there can be sex and violence in good games (eg. fallout 1, fallout 2) but just having sex and violence does not make a game good (eg. postal, leisure suit larry).

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

You cannot compare fallout in terms of sex and violence with this trailer. Fallouts violence was way over the top and worked in that way. Sex IIRC in that game was a black screen and you ending up standing in a bedroom.

If you would use fallouts violence in Dragon Age, then you had reason to complain. But let's review the actual footage of the trailer. All I saw where a few epic battles and an execution. Much like let's say the movies Gladiator and Braveheart. It reminds me of the gritty battlefield violence of the books in the Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin.

The sex scene wasn't even a sex scene if you ask me. Let's just wait and see when the game comes out.

Again it amazes me that people are upset by a trailer that show of the violence in the game. Bioware stated from the beginning on that this would be a mature game. And I trust in them to translate that into the game not being a forgotten realms book for the younger audience but a Malazan or 'Song' book for the mature audience. Otherwise what would be the point.

Oh and the leisure suit larry games (again not even remotely comparable with this game) are about humor and not sex. Larry love for Sail was hilarious if you ask me.

7. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Because the "violence" had nothing to do with it. It would be helpful if you would make an attempt to at least understand the opposing argument - even if you don't agree with it. The trailer was cheap and pandering to some of us, and, as some have remarked, just "embarrassing." You don't have to agree, and that's fine. But the SUPPOSED "violence and sex" had little to do with it, other than how cheaply it was presented. I hope that adds some clarity. Peace. :hippy:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.