1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Downloading Music (Legally)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Elios, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

How many of you download music legally?
    I'm not talking about those nasty person to person file-sharing programs.
    I am talking about places like Amazon.com They have an excellent free download section where you can usually get two to three songs off a cd. Most are from new and emerging artists and some of it is not too good. But there is some good stuff.
    Any other sites like that out there?

2. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

No, why download short samples when you can download anything you want from p2p? I can’t see anything nasty about it. I download music illegally all the time and I will continue to do so while music CD’s are so ridiculously expensive.

3. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Music CD's are expensive here too, but all songs released on CD's are legal to download here. :xx:

Sharing them isn't legal, tho...

4. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Arrrggggg! I don't care about whether you use P2P software or anyone's feelings on that.
    I was just curious if anyone used the legal websites to download music from new and upcoming bands and such.
    And Amazon offers the whole version of the song to download.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

To answer, your question: Yes - I have used Virgin's legal paid download system. It was quite reasonably priced (and better quality than the variable p2p tracks) but the wesbite was not that easy to use. Not bad though.

6. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I've downloaded some songs, from various artists, who offered them for free on their official site, but never downloaded anything from Amazon, or a similar site. If that Amazon thing is free, I might check it out some time, to see if there is anything good available.

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Sometimes I download samples to check out a band I think might be good before heading off on a journey to hunt down their CDs.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned iTunes yet... It's the biggest thing in legal music download out there.

9. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] iTunes? Isn't that a Mac-only service? Only about 5% of Americans use Macs anymore (probably less).

Of course, Napster's back - and legit.

10. teekc Gems: 23/31

me have itune, me use windows xp chinese version. me found out itunes while using quicktime. me don't download legit music because they all sing in english.

11. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Okay, my error.

12. metal leper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

iTunes annoys me - available for mac and windows but not linux

I try to download stuff legally first (if it's free), but then I also have a lot of illegal stuff (much of which is out of print in the UK so that makes me feel less bad). Blind Guardian used to have quite a lot of songs on mp3.com, don't know if they are still there

13. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I've only downloaded one song, which was Stockholm Syndrome by Muse. I had to text them, paying £1.50, and they gave me a unique code to access the download page. A bit expensive I thought, but I love that song.

14. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Why not just use kazaa or winmx to save paying 1.50£. Madness ;z

15. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I know only 2 sites with good MP3's:

www.ocremix.org , game music remixes -legal.

Of course, I'll leave out the illegal mp3spy :p

16. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I know this is off topic and I dont want to hijack this thread but this bears repeating.

When you download music illegaly you are not hurting the record companies,you are hurting the artist.When an artist does not sell enough albums they get dropped.When they get dropped they can no longer make the music that you love.

Record Companies will not take these losses,they are passed on to the bands so remember the next time you download that song from a band you love you are not hurting the record company.What you are realy doing is making sure that band will not be able to release anther album for your enjoyment.

17. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

If the price of CD's was not so high then people would buy them. Know how much it costs to make a CD? Know how much a CD costs in the UK?

Music sucks today anyway, take me back to the 70s please.

To be honest my favourites are bought and paid for anyway, sometimes I download songs I hear on the radio that are pretty good but why would I pay for an album with 1 good track and 14 tracks of ****.

[ March 06, 2004, 23:31: Message edited by: Sarevok- ]

18. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

What I tend to do is download a couple of songs from a CD and, if I like it, I'll buy it. If the bands are making good music, it makes no sense to stop them by cutting the money they make. However, I also don't want to spend £15 on 12 songs played by someone who sounds like he sings from within a cardboard box.

And with that song I paid £1.50 for, it was before the album was released. And I'd do it again too, if I didn't now have their album.

The only other time I download music from P2P is when I already own a CD, and I want MP3 versions so I can put them on my own compilation CD. I'm far too lazy to find a free MP3-ripper.

On a final note, don't use Kazaa. It installs loads of spyware on your computer, unless you use the lite version.

19. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

KaZaA Lite ownz.

20. Orrick the Grey Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

A lot of cds in new zealand cost over $30 so I dont often buy them. I do download some music, but not often, and never a whole album.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.