1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Down with Garrick!

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by The Fat Egg, Jul 23, 2000.

1. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Garrick is useful only to sing. I am aware of what the bard song does aswell. Garrick is a bad fighter I tried using him but he is practically utterly useless. His pick pockets skill is fairly low because by that time you should have some thief already with higher skills. Bards are also not useful fighters due to the fact that they can't use many forms of armor and armament. Why even have a bard. If you want a magic user get a mage!!!! Even Xan is a better fighter!!!!!!

2. hooligan_inc Guest

[​IMG] Garrick is absolutely useless. I mean, he even quotes lines from Henry V ( I did it at school) when you start combat. Honestly!
    Also, Xan is sooooooooooooooo much the best NPC in the game.

[This message has been edited by hooligan_inc (edited July 23, 2000).]

3. Wingfoot Guest

[​IMG] i agree Garrick is useless. he has horrible stats for his class. his Int is average which makes learning a new spell w/him a pain. his Con is low and his STR is even lower. His Dex and Chr are the only decent stats he has. But as for bards as a whole, they can be very helpful.

4. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] The only way to have a good Bard is to play one, since Garrick and Eldoth both suck. If you put the right stats in a bard, they can be good. I can't believe anyone would ever play Xan. People only like him for his sword, he SUCKS SOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!

5. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Xan can inflict more damage in melee combat than any bard!!!! Oh, and he is the most powerful mage in terms of melee damage!!!! If you equip him with the right spells he rocks!!!!! HAH HAH HAH!!!!!!! :D

6. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

To disagree, Garrick is not a fighter. He's a bard. So of course a single class fighter is going to be a better 'fighter', but when is the last time a fighter cast a spell? In reference to the state about arms and armor. A bard can use ANY weapon and can wear up to chainmail. Let's see a mage do that? Just look at it this way a bard is a spell caster for only half the XP of a mage. A mage needs 2500 for 2nd level and a bard only needs 1250 and so on. I agree that Garrick does have some weak stats but he's the best - and only - NPC bard in the game.

7. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

You are forgetting Eldoth. Who I prefer!!!!!

8. hooligan_inc Guest

[​IMG] Eldoth is the man. By the way Gunthar, who would actually want to play as a Bard in the first place?
    Although you are right about the Xan-being-lame-thing gunthar. I apologise for my foolishness in proclaiming him best. I really meant Kivan.

[This message has been edited by hooligan_inc (edited July 24, 2000).]

9. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

[​IMG] Am I the only one who likes Xan????!!!!!!

10. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Why don't you use him in a sesible way then? Do you try to use your mage as a fighter too?

11. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Yes, but only if he's being attacked, I keep him because he's basically a mage who can defend himself in close combat.

12. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Its quite sensible to have a mage who is also able to fight\defend!!!!!

13. Gunthar Gems: 7/31

If you want to melee with a mage, the only way to go is to dual-class. The whole point of a regular mage is to sit back and blast enemies. Xan can't even sit back and blast enemies cause he can't cast Invocation. What is the point of a mage who can't cast Magic Missle, Agannazar's Scorcher, Fireball or Cloudkill. These spells make up the backbone of any good offensive mage. Xan simply isn't a good offensive mage.

14. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

What about lightning, animate dead, monster summoning, and many wands! And he is just as good with the robe of the neutral arch-magi , fairly good armor, and he can inflict about 20 points of damage each hit, and that's about 1\4-1\8 of the life of some named creatures, obviously not including Sarevok!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by The Fat Egg (edited July 27, 2000).]

15. Gunthar Gems: 7/31

I still don't get why people think that Xan is such a good fighter, he can only put one point into short swords. His thaco always will be crappy, perhaps he inflicts 20hp 1% of the time, but normaly he doesn't do anything.

16. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Perhaps you should know that a MoonBlade is not short swords!!!!! Xan on an average basis inflicts 15 damage and 20 about 25% of the time!!!!! And I assume since you didn't mention the spells, you thought they were good, no???!!!!

[This message has been edited by The Fat Egg (edited July 29, 2000).]

17. hooligan_inc Guest

Look, Xan is so much not as bad as Garrick.
    At leastwith Xan his `doomsday` sound effects don't repeatedly make you wan't to put a sledgehammer through the moniter

18. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

19. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I do have to agree here, although Xan isn't my mage of choice, I do have a liking of enchantment and charm spell's, even if the trade off is having to get a couple of wands of magic missile and fireball.
    Oh, I do find Garrick's personality annoying as well incidently, but even the most annoying character has thier uses.(springing the undisarmable traps and decoy for nasty monsters to name but two....)

20. hooligan_inc Guest

Yeah...It's only a shame you can't leave him behind in the wilderness when you get `waylaid by the enemy`.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.