1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Double topic: Character names and DIY Weapons

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by hooligan_inc, Jul 30, 2000.

1. hooligan_inc Guest

1: Where can I get an easy to use weapons editor? I like the idea of personalizing swords and things.

2. Do you always give characters the same name? I always use `Stinger`, named after the best move in WCW, the Stinger Splash.
    And yes, I know wrestling is fake.

2. Wingfoot Guest

cant help you w/ the 1st question, but as for names, i use names from the various fantasy books ive read, mostly from LOTR, or from movies like Excalibur, or Braveheart. there are a couple of 'Name Creation' sites out there as well. cant remember the addresses though.

3. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

4. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I nearly always use Vermillion for male characters, he the first character I had in a roleplaying game and a character in most fantasy stories I write.
    The other one is Gavriel, a character I had in the AD&D Underdark campaign, and the only character to live all the way through it from beginning to end.
    As for female characters, the names can change depending on what class they are, for example Sephrenia for a cleric.(Taken from a David Eddings book)

5. Dave Eddings is so lame....

6. shadow Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Maybe you can either try spelling backwords (case in pt -- Saravok) names of people/places or combining foreign phrases (ie. "a la", "aka", or LOTR elvish phrases) with initials...
    Any other suggestions?

7. Launcelot Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Mr. Eddings rulz the roost.
    u might appreciate the books a little more if u were European!!!

The Belgariad and the Mallorian are not quite middle earth, more medival earth.
    Noticed anything about them, assuming you have read them?
    if not read these! they are amasing!

8. Launcelot Gems: 1/31

Mr. Eddings rulz the roost my friend.
    You have to be european to appreciate them though!

What have u read?
    the belgariad and the mallorian series are the best i've read. I'd recommend them to anyone!

if u have have u notice anything about the cultures and geography???

ps guess where i got my handle from!

9. I read the two series about the living gem.
    The diamond knoight, plains of fire, Sapphire rose, wtc.

Well, I enjoyed the books, it is rare to find fantasy that has some humor in it, but there are times when you can tell that Dave Eddings painted himself into a corner, so to speak. So some of his plot and character manueverings seem kind of contrived.

Also, some of his characters (especially Sephrina) are kinda thin.

And he completely changed the storyline from the first book to the second. A plot twist is one thing, flatly contradicting your earlier works is another.

Despite all that though, I quite enjoyed the series. It had faults but it was a "good read".

As a side note: Why does every fantasy author seem to base one of their races on the Japanese? Do they think they are being original or something :rolleyes:

Character names: despite my handle, I don't usually like to use characters from books or movies for names.
    The character is already established. To take that character and put it in a completely different setting seems kind of stupid to me.
    What I usually do is take an ordinary name, switch a few letters, sometimes add a prefix or suffix, like "ias" or "ion" and viola, instant fantasy character name!
    For example, take Mike. Add "ias" to the end, switch some chars, and it becomes "Miklias".

Terry Brooks comes up with the best names for places and things, has anyone noticed that?

[This message has been edited by Lord Balduran (edited September 17, 2000).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.