1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Does this game addict you?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Proteus_za, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

So, I spent the whole weekend playing Baldurs Gate 2. I even sacrificed some sleep to play the game, and boy do I like my sleep. This morning I was half an hour late for work, because I overslept (but that was more because my alarm wasnt set than BG, but still, I realized I needed the sleep). And now I'm at work, but posting on this board, when I should really be looking at continuing my work at producing a simpler to use method of text animation for our product.

And I was thinking - its an unhealthy addiction. I dont want to obsess over anything, game or not. I want to lead a life where I game now and then, socialize now then, work during work hours and sleep during sleep hours. But every so often, this game gets a hold of me, and I cant let go. Until I've played it to death (which usually happens round about the time I start Throne of Bhaal, funnily enough).

Does anyone else have that? Thoroughly enjoy this game, but wish whenever the urge to play it arose, one could warp to an alternate dimension where time didnt matter, play it to your hearts content, and then get back to work?

Even now, I'm thinking about trying to solo or duo SCS II - this coming from a noob who only a few months ago played on Easy! I shouldnt! I should be hoping for they day I can kill Melissan and get back to my normal life. I should be thinking of when the next time I'm going to get drunk is (Saturday night unless Baldurs Gate intervenes).

Smalltext: Please note that, while I refer to it as an addiction, I dont in any way want to belittle real addicts, such as drug addicts and alcoholics. I've never stolen to further my habit.

2. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    Well, I like it when a game is so addictive you sacrifice a bit of your social life and sleep to play it. Gaming is something I do to relax. If a game is so good I can't keep from playing it, it means I'm getting my relaxation. How many times do you come across a game that could swep you away like BG does, hm?

I only had this with the BG series, Morrowind, Diablo 2 and SW: KoToR.

3. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

Yes...I play it more or less continuously, heh. Even when I'm part way through one game I'm planning what mods and NPCs will come with me for the next.

Morrowind was awesome as well. Still haven't tried Oblivion - PC doesn't have enough RAM...

4. Amdis

Amdis Note to self, claws are not toothpicks

Yeah i do that to, planning ahead. I am still in chapter 6 with my Skald but i already started thinking about who/what. :D

As for the games..for me that would have to be BG2, Sacred Gold, Morrowind.

5. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Indeed. One has to be addicted if (s)he's still here ten years after :)

6. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    No. This game sucks. I only play it for the mods. :)

There are better games out there that are more addictive. Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI, for example. I've played that for about two years now, on and off. Yay!

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I have to agree that I would not be playing BG2 if I did not have mods. I still think vanilla BG2 is the best RPG game I have ever played, but no game can be played repeatidly.

But constantly developing new and cool mods make BG2 an evolving and ever-changing game. Indeed, none of my runs are quite like another one. So I guess I am addicted to mods... :heh:

8. nunsbane

nunsbane

Probably most who post here have lost sleep due to a video game. They have probably also missed work (late/absent) and have had their attention shift from important work/school matters to thoughts of their next gaming session.

I've lost sleep for Populous, every Dragon Warrior released in the U.S., Tetris, Nightmare Creatures, Castlevania SotN, Eye Of The Beholder, Ultima IX, Halo 1 & 2, Golden Axe, Strider, Sonic The Hedgehog, Morrowind and Oblivion, Ninja Gaiden (NES), Shadowgate, Super Mario Bros.(most of them), etc. etc. etc.

BG2 happens to be an exceptional offender. I've lost more sleep than I care to remember for this game. I've also spent many hours at work thinking about BG2(Honestly, I devoted some time at work today thinking about generating a 6 man party) and have even taken a personal day or two from work to play.

I don't think you need to worry that your BG2 obsession is unhealthy...what you are experiencing is a completely normal reaction to a superior game. Who needs sleep or full concentration at work anyway?

9. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

If a game can keep me coming back to it after 10 years, even in its unmodded form, it must have done something right.

If that makes me addict, the I am proud to be one.

Best RPG series of all time.

Must say I am guilty of a few of these.
    http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7400

10. DCD Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Pretty much.

I play through the BG series once every few years; it's one of those games that ages very, very well. It's been around three years since my last play, and about two years since then. I first got BGII in 2002 and haven't been sick yet.

The only sad part is the membership has really waned since the heydays. Do people even remember Dark Side of the Sword Coast or TeamBG anymore? 8(

11. Elfen Lied

I've think I have heard of Team BG.

They use to um.. make mods or something. I have some tool program from Team BG, it allows you to make items and spells.

12. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    You THINK you've heard of TeamBG? My God, kids these days... :p

Of course I remember DSotSC - it was pretty horribly buggy. But oh, the good old days when you didn't have WeiDu and you had to make backups of your override folder least you risk countless reinstalls. Good times, good times.

13. Elfen Lied

They were slightly before my time. And was incredibly late in getting heavily into mods. So I have really only heard of them but don't really know them.

While my entry to the world of BG (including mods) was late, that does not change the fact that I agree with however it was that said the BG series is the best RPG series of all time.

So much do I love this series

14. cmorgan Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

playing BG/BG2/ToB addictive?

yes.

playing modded BG/BG2/ToB addictive?

yes.

modding BG/BG2/ToB addictive?

yes.

But only the last leaves permanent marks.

15. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I have played BG2 so often that I knew it by heart. I have now abstained for four or three years or so and I still know parts of it by heart. In the end I was a most efficient metagamer. Which is why I stopped playing. I liked the game, still fondly remember it, but it got boring because it was so very easy eventually, and, well, the story didn't get any newer too.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  16. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

BG 2 was probably the last game that really had me hooked bigtime. I got kind of hooked on oblivion (I like to explore alot), and Kotor 1. But mostly everything I have played after BG2, has been a let-down. I remember getting hooked on aot of games when I was younger though. Monkey Island 1-2, Betrayal at Krondor, Quest for Glory, and the ultima games. Seems to me that the quality of games were better in the past. The story and the gameplay at least.

17. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

My friends mock me for still playing BG2. They do not understand how I can play the very same game for the hundreth time, and I can not tell them the importance of new, developing mods and how they enrich and expand the game so much that nearly all of my plays are unique in certain respects. (be it a new quest, tactical mod, a couple NPCs, etc.) They encourage me to play new RPG games such as NWN 2 among others, but I look and say 'bleah!' and return to my favourite game...am I addicted?

No, simply, I have the right to choose which game to play in my free times, and I find my modded BG2 games far, far enjoyable to all new 3-D multi maxi polygonal with extra shiny and cosy effects games.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.