1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Does Improved Initiative do anything?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Klorox, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

I know what it should do, but I read that it is bugged and doesn't work.

I have the latest patch, and want to know if this feat is worth taking now.

TIA

2. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

The patch does not address that issue. You will need to download a mod to make it work.
    The mod list here for IWD II is pretty small anyway. You should have no trouble finding the "Improved Initiative Fix".

3. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well I did but the instuctions are not clear enough for me to finish it. the downloading and putting it in your override folder is basic.

the instruction says import it trhough the console, so i call the console and typed import "ii_fix" as told and voila an item appears in my inventory to use on the quickbar.

But alas no item but an line which says nice try cheater. so what now?

As for the question of mister Klorox: yes it matters. With tabletop and/or real turnbased it matters a lot. When you have played Temple of elemantal Evil you know. Before any battle you trow a die for initiative. the one that has the highest goes first and controls the engagement in the first stage. Say a mage goes first. it can drop a fireball before any enemies can use spells or potions against it. Or a arcer can hit a mage, or a tank fighter can block a square.

so how does this relate to Icewind dale? you might have noticed that enemies always react fast and most of the time they hit first, well they have it, and we not. and i can say I hate it. In the latter stages it just is not nice when two or more party member are dead, held, stunnend, or halfway gone with hitpoint before landing a blow myself.

By the way i have the Icewind gate mod installed to play Baldurs gate 2 with the icewind2 engine and ruleset so can taht be a problem?

[ November 13, 2005, 09:45: Message edited by: Merlanni ]

4. Goon66 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

In IWDII it dont affect innitiative rolls it just changes casting time and weapon speed doesnt it? And also they finished that mod???

5. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    finished the mod although a bit buggy. lot of tekst scrolling in the window and crashes when talkin to non game essential npc. also first export npc that joins, delete npc, and import npc before saving to avoid crash. also some animation crash the game. i am in the slums now but a bit reluctant to go on.

Imp. Inin. is a feat I will need, so I stopped untitl it is sorted out. if the game does it not really by the book so be it, but i want that fraction of a second to hit first myself. i am fed up with every time being able to cast spells last and take action after all the enemies are done.

I bluntly (sorry)say why the **** is this problem not handeld with the patch.

6. Goon66 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

BTW did you type the whole ctrlaltdelete:createitem("ii_fix",1) or wateva into the console?

7. Merlanni

Media:
    import and not create. thanks that was what i was looking for. only took me two days

8. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Initiative is much more important in a game like ToEE than it is in IWD2. Yes weaponspeeds and spellcasting time is what was "inititive" in these games.

Peronally i did not feel any big lack for the lack of this feat, you can stil hit first with missles, spells, and by sneaking etc if you just plan a bit. and a Tank is a tank, hes supposed to be pounded upon anyways ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.