1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"Does ANYONE like THIS game??!!"

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Just couldn't help but post this here, seeing as how its appearantly not much more popular than Pool of Radiance!

2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Quiet a few people will say yes, because of its multi-player fetures thingys. But personally... NO, I don't.

3. Blast Skeleton Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

i second that

it gets played alot because of the modules (online and offline)
    but the game itself is worse than Baldur's Gate I
    the developers did alot of work creating the toolset
    they should've done more efforts to make the game a great singleplayer experience

ugh, my english grammar sucks :rolleyes:

4. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I don't understand what which is so terrible about this game. Of course it's not that good compared to the best, but it is by far an OK game to play.

5. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] This game's greatest feature is the Multiplay...You should try playing in ALFA. It's awesome!

6. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Yes, campaigning multiplayer. Even better if it's anything then the OC. That's why it had so good ratings everywhere. Every editorial office, I bet, was multplaying it after half an hour. And had a blast.

7. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Okay, BG2 has a better storyline, but it ain't THAT bad! And this is probably the only thing possibly wrong with the game. I like it quite good.

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I had a lot of fun with the game, and even more in ALFA.

Never tried PoR though, so maybe I'd've liked it too :)

9. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

It's not a terrible game but it's not much good either. And considering it's from the same company that brought us BG1 and 2, it's obvious they could do a lot better than the yawn-a-thon that is NWN.

As far as I'm concerned, every game a company brings out should be better than its previous one. But NWN isn't better than BG2. It's worse. A lot worse.

Galling when you think about it that the effort that was wasted on NWN could have gone into making BG3...

10. Jschild Gems: 8/31

Remember Bioware did not develop Baldur's Gate, Black Isle did it for them.

11. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well I for one think it's a great game, and I've never played the multiplayer yet. I'm going through right now with a Human Fighter 3/Cleric 5 with Tomi as my henchmen, and loving every minute. The new feats and prestige classes from SoU add an interesting element. I will definitely be buying HotU when it comes out. Maybe when I have a bit more time and faster connection I'll give ALFA a try. Perhaps Sir Bel or BTA would be so good as to show me the ropes. But I love it. I don't find the story any more or less compelling than any of the other D&D games around.

12. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

ALFA! ALFA! ALFA!

Honestly, I haven't even started the single player, I'm always online. I use the toolset too, and dabble in a bit of scripting.

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Jschild, you got it the other way around. BioWare developed Baldur's Gate for BIS.

BioWare games are both BG games and NWN, plus their expansions.

14. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Hehe, i gotta say it for the fourth time :p

ALFA!

Truly this game is just medicore or even worse in SP. But multiplayer rocks. I started SP once and left it alone in the beggining of second chapter.

Now the only reason why i keep NwN installed is ALFA.

15. RX2000 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I dont see anything wrong with the SP campaign. Most game's stories are boring to me anyways, why should this one be any different? Its doesnt make it any less enjoyable to me. I like the game overall. :)

16. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

quote: "most games stories are boring to me anyway", have you played Baldur's Gate?

17. RX2000 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Yes of course, you're the offspring of a God blah blah yadda yadda. I play games for the gameplay, not the story. ;)

18. Jabbrwock Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Of course people like this game. It's actually quite popular. Of course, if you hang out on the Baldur's Gate boards, you'll get nothing but hate for it. The people who hang out there are mostly the die-hard fans who will not accept anything even remotely different from BG as being even minimally acceptable.

NWN is not BG3. It was not intended to be BG3. It may surprise you to discover that, in fact, the vast majority of games are not BG3, and if you stop expecting every game to be BG3, you'll discover that there are plenty of really excellent games out there that are not BG3. This is good, because *NO* game is or ever will be BG3, because the Baldur's Gate series is owned by a company that may not legally develop any successors, at least for the foreseeable future.

Judged on its own merits, NWN is an excellent game. It is good for people who want multiplayer, and for those who want easy module development, either to develop their own, or to just get loads of customized content to play with. In both of these areas, it is enormously superior to the Baldur's Gate series, just as the BG series is enormously superior to NWN in interesting characters and (matter of opinion here) graphic appeal.

19. dshadow Gems: 8/31

As far as I'm concerned, NWN isn't superior to BG in any way whatsoever. It's not a good game by any standards and while some of this can be attributed to the less-than-thrilling storyline, most of it lies with the game's engine which is, let's face it, tedious as hell. I can't really see such an engine ever being any good. Maybe one day I'll be proved wrong but if the future holds a wealth of games similar to NWN then I think I'll go back to playing Space Invaders and Pac Man instead.

20. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Exaggerate much?

Jabbrwock clearly stated that it was better for multiplayer (true) and for people who want to build modules in it (overwhelmingly true).

Don't get me wrong, BG was my favorite crpg (well maybe torment, but its close), and the storyline was definately better than NWN's OC, but come on.

If you really think its easier to make a mod in BG than NWN, I'd have to suspect that you've never actually seen NWN.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.