1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dodgers in Bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by dmc, Jun 28, 2011.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    This is obviously making the headlines here, and I imagine it has crossed the view of most Americans. To sum up, Frank McCourt, owner of the Dodgers, is finishing a messy divorce and needs money to keep the Dodgers afloat and pay off his ex. He had a TV deal in place to accomplish those things, but MLB did not approve it, citing the "best interests of baseball" clause.

I think the deal probably wasn't great, but I also think that Bud Selig realizes he screwed up when he let McCourt buy the team and is trying to fix it. As a (to me) last-ditch ploy, McCourt put the team in BK (because he couldn't make payroll) and is trying to get past MLB.

While I dislike baseball and have absolutely no affinity for the Dodgers, this is fun to watch. Plus, I ran into Jamie McCourt at the Starbucks outside of Court a few months ago and she was such an imperious biyatch that anything that happens that might not get her paid as she wants is icing on the cake. Sure, she may ultimately benefit from this, but, from all accounts, Frank McCourt is an equal biyatch on the male side and deserves what he is getting.

In short, I think watching the Dodgers implode off the field is better than watching them play on the field.

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've heard a rumor - so, grain of salt, table 2 - that investors in Brooklyn, NY are trying to buy the team, with the intent of bringing the Dodgers back to their original home. Considering the economic resurgence in the Brooklyn area these past few years, it strikes me as a shrewd move.

Even though I too am a so-so fan of baseball, I think this development (if true) is incredibly cool.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I think that would be absolutely hilarious and would really serve McCourt right. One of his earlier ploys was to separate the Dodgers franchise from Dodger Stadium (i.e., separate ownership) and the concessions so that if MLB stripped the team from him, it would still owe him money in rent and he would make all kinds of money from the stadium. If the team went back to Brooklyn, he'd be stuck with an empty ballpark not bringing in any money.

I don't, however, think MLB would actually let that happen. It would be funny though.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    That's because the deal would have been great for settling the divorce, but would have done little to help the financial situation of the team. Most of the money gained in the TV deal would have been required just to pay of the debts.

You mean when he let McCourt buy the team on credit? Even though Mark Cuban expressed interest in buying in the team, and could pay in cash?

I would love to see the Dodgers back in Brooklyn. Heck, if the Nets can move there, why not an MLB team too? Although that would make three MLB teams in NYC - not that we haven't seen that before - (Yankees, Giants, Dodgers)

5. dmc

Media:
    MLB wants no part of Cuban in their stodgy old owners group. Ignore for the moment that he has a proven track record of doing everything he can to make his team win, that he brings media attention to his team, and, by association, his sport and other teams, ignore that his players love him, ignore that he would pay for the team out of his pocket and that he does not look to his own municipality to pay for the victory parade he brought to a team that was crap before him. The owners are afraid of him and they really have no clue that he would be the best thing for baseball, which is dying a slow agonizing death each year.

(Plus, it would be awesome to have him in LA stirring up trouble, just awesome.)

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I agree on all points dmc. I just find it amusing that Selig played the "best interest of baseball card", when a good starting point of doing something in the "best interest of baseball" would finding an owner that can... you know... actually pay for the team he's buying.

7. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Dodgers in Brooklyn could revive baseball, at least for a year or two, especially if they challenge for th Series title. Hell, NY has enough people inteh vicinity to draw fans and revenue. But That would leave a huge whole in LA. It is jsut to big of a market to not have a team in it.

Cuban in LA would be the best thing Selig could do right now for the game. And it would definitely make the trade deadline intersting as you know Cuban would be trying to soak up all the big names. We would see the rise of the NL version of the Yankees. Personally, I think that is a good thing...

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    The thing is... the Dodgers WERE the west coast version of the Yankees. They and the Giants are the two premier west coast teams. And LA is the second biggest market in the US, so it makes sense that they could support a baseball team... although I do find it shocking that they haven't had a football team for over 10 years now.

9. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

They were usually a top spender, but never reaching the Yankees in payroll. Under Cuban, that could actually happen.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.