1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do you play an instrument? Would like to?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Jarel, May 20, 2003.

1. Jarel Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Tell us what kind of link do you have with your instrument, why did you choose that one over the others, how did you started playing and anything else comes to your mind about the subject.
    I'd also like to know from whoever DOESN'T play if they've ever desired to, and if so wich instrument and why.
    I play the guitar since January 1996, and I've always studied it by myself (wich of course has his limits in terms of technical progression, but at the same time have given me a lot of freedom in developing my own style).
    Sometimes playing the guitar (and doing anything else concerns music) is the only way I have to get out particular depressive and sad moments, expecially when I have "heart problems" and friends are of little help in raising spirits. ;)
    Through the years I've also discovered that the "band dimension" of playing can be something of very stimulating and interesting to do, expecially when you start to play in public places.It makes you feel like being part of a complex mechanism, in which each element deeply interacts with the others, creating something that is more than the sum of the singles.
    Last but not least, improvising and composing on an instrument are two powerful means to explore and unleash one's potentiality in terms of fantasy and creativity, wich is something great! :D

2. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I started playing violin when i was about 8 or 10, but i was rubbish. Took up guitar about November 96, self taught from nirvana books (the easiest way to learn to play some songs). Then i changed direction and now play anything i can, including Dream Theater (i try at least) and anything i like at the time.
    Started playing the Organ in about 94 i think, got to grade 4 (i had lessons) i think, but i havent really played it since moving to uni, as i dont have room to store it.
    Play Bass too, but i'm not a bassist (just a guitarist who likes to play the bass). And can also play the drums to a pretty good standard. Again, self taught. I just did anything that would improve my coordination. Started teaching myself about 2 years before i evers sat at the drum kit, then my mates were like, "whoa, are you sure you haven't had lessons?" But no, i hadn't.

I was in a band during college, and i can't wait to start up a new one> Playing all those instruments is good, but no feeling beats the feeling of playing with a band. I mainly like to just jam, rather than play specific songs.

3. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I don't play an instrument. I would like to learn guitar, piano, and bongos (seriously). When I have more time on my hands, I am going to give it a go.

4. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I thought about learning how to play guitar for a while now and this seems a perfect time to start. Now all I need to do is buy a cheap guitar to learn it on. But I don't know how to play an instrument at this moment. As a kid, I always wanted to play saxophone, but unfortunately, I never got around to it.

5. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31

I don't play any instruments but i sure do would like to be able to play some drums. Love the beat :cool:

6. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I've played bass since 1990, and I know enough to futz around on the guitar and piano a bit.

7. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I play the guitar (classical), flute (alto and soprano), saxophone (alto) and I can sing a bit.

That's it. Honestly ;) What can I say? I was raised in a musical family :D

8. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I played flute and alto sax all the way through high school. I recently donated them to a small school, along with all my music books.

If I were to take up an instrument now, it would probably be something like Celtic harp or lute. If I were to stick with a wind instrument, it would be recorder or pennywhistle.

9. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I've been playing flute for 3 years. Then i swiched to saxophone (alt) for 4 years and a half. Then i quit playing.
    I still have my say at home so i can play whenever i feel like, but that doesnt happen very often.

It was great while it lasted but i had less and less time and i've been getting addicted to computers at the time. There just wasnt enough time for all the stuff i wanted doing.

10. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I would really like to learn how to play on a piano. Piano just make the best sad music and .. sad music rule.

11. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I played the trumpet for a bout a year when I was in 6th grade...but gave it up after I couln't read the music.

Now that I'm older I'd really like to learn how to play the guitar or maybe the drums. :cool: :rolling:

12. Jarel Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

@Intentioner: hey, I am a guitarist who likes to play bass as well! I also played it in a band. Dumm du-dumm da-dumm ;)
    Faragon made me think about how our voice is an instrument as any other; I really love to sing, I did it a lot in a choir during high school (we used to sing very different styles, from Gregorian ,through Gospel, to jazz and modern tunes) and in my band I always sing backing vocals, wich is a lot of fun if well done.

13. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I started playing the piano when I was ~4 years old. My parents had initially wanted my sister to learn piano only, but I started to imitate her and so my parents let me learn it too. I stopped having lessons two years ago, so now my fingers are slowly deteriorating in virtuousity.

I learned guitar in public school in grade 6. Not too in depth though; just learned some basic chords and picking patterns. I'd like to further my knowledge in the guitar, but I don't even have one to self-teach myself.

Another instrument I'd like to learn is the harmonica. It looks like such a simple toy, but I've heard some songs that seem to demand high virtuousity.

14. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well okay, in terms of what i can play, I can play the Guitar (pick/finger style) and Bass Guitar (pick/fingerstyle).

I started playing instruments as my mate inspired me to when he played the guitar in front of me. I picked up the bass so as to join his band. We had three gigs before i left (not my style of music) to join a punk rock band. 2 months of being the bassist and i was 'promoted' to that of lead guitarist as i apparantly was more capable then their guitarist at the time. (Note: I've been learning guitar throughout my musical career from the start)

We drafted in another guitarist and bassist and here we now have the band 'Still Bust'

15. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I used to play the piano. I started when I was 14 years old, taking lessons till I was 20. But since then the piano was sounding bad and it was not fixable anymore. So my parents sold it. Since then, I do not play anymore. A new one, even if it is electronic is just to expensive.

16. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've been a drummer since I was 11. I've been in and out of every kind of band. I've played everything from ska to jazzy funk to hardcore balls-n'-chunk metal. I was in a country band once for about an hour (we all make mistakes). :D

Drums are the best. No other instrument envolves your entire body like a nice full set of drums. Anyone who said white kids have no rhythm never met me. :D You literally feel every note, every hit, every crash. You really get into a song and the rhythm becomes a part of you. Your arms and legs begin to move and create the different combinations of hits without you even thinking about it. You just feel it. It's magical stuff. :thumb:

17. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Since I love to hear trumpets/horns (uptempo jazz, soul, funk etc), I'd like to learn to play one. It's quite versatile, too. Not only Soul (with a capital S), but even Last Post needs a Trumpet.

I think it will never happen, though. I think I'd be dead before I try. My neighbourhood hates anything associated with 'noise'. Pfft! :rolleyes:

My fav-instruments are
    Trumpets/Horns
    Drums/percussions
    Hammond Organ
    Bass-guitar
    Piano
    Alto-sax
    (and Computer-animated sounds)

18. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I'm a violist, although I sometimes practice by myself with vocals (trying to learn how to "scream").

19. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I used to play the saxophone (alto) in the mid 80's... but I wasn't that good. I can also play the harmonica and recorder (fiffle flute).

I would really like to learn to play the piano and guitar.

20. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31

@Aragorn II: I got so into thinking about my actual instruments that i forgot how i also love to sing. I'd love to sing and play lead in a band, but i could probably only do rhythm and sing, as i'd just screw up if trying to play lead and anything else.
    I guessed you are in a band from you pics on the pics site.

I find music is the only way i can really express myslef, however, i don't have the patients to record entire songs by myself on Cubase. D'oh.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.