1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do you keep all your books?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Rallymama, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    As I've mentioned elsewhere, Velcro and I are moving into a new house soon. For the next 6 weeks we'll be frantically packing up our stuff, throwing out as much of our accumulated crap as possible (one recent victim was Velcro's collection of empty PC game boxes, so I really got a kick out of this week's poll!).

Anyway, what do you do with the books you've purchased and read? We've gleaned our library a few times in the past but it was mostly my stuff; Velcro is a packrat who wanted to keep every novel he's ever read (just about, at any rate) Last weekend we FINALLY went after it with a hard eye and ditched stuff we knew we'd never re-read: Anne McCaffrey was the most notable victim. We figured that if Pern was really calling for a re-read, we'd hit a library! :lol:

I suppose another benefit of this, aside from having less to move, is that well buy more new books through SP.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I have absolutely no packrat tendencies whatsoever . . . except when it comes to books. I have every book I ever bought (all 2,000 or so of them). The reason is that sometimes, for no reason I can fathom, I will get the urge to re-read a book, a series, even part of a book. I need to do it then, not after a trip to the library. The books don't even have to be good. Sometimes I find that I want to reread something because of an idea that's there, even if the book is crap. Sometimes, I even reread the Pern books.

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I keep all of the books that I purchase. I am fairly selective about my purchases but I must admit that I do have some trash that I will likely never read again. As a result, my collection is fairly large (roughly 600 books) but I am a bachelor with a three bedroom house so I have plenty of room to spare.

I converted one bedroom into a library/office and installed a set of bookshelf units with two 80cm wide and two 60 cm wide shelving units for a total of twelve 80cm and twelve 60 cm shelves. I had pretty well filled those so I added another pair of 80 cm units in the finished basement giving me another twelve 80 cm shelves to fill.

That gives me a total of 2640 cm (1118 inches) of shelf space. That will probably keep me happy for another year or two and then I will have to go out and buy some more units.

Ah yes, the thrill of moving - I mostly used small boxes that I got for free from the liquor store so I had boxes labelled "Books 1" up to "Books 20" or so. At the time of my move, my books took up more space then all of my other possessions combined.

4. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I keep almost all of my books. I only get rid of the ones that i dont like.

5. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Well my collection is now gradually growing larger, and seeing my bookcase filling with books makes my heart leap. I will never get rid of any books I read, if only for the sheer joy of looking at lots of books stacked and ready to read.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I keep all my books as well. I paid good money for practically all of them, so it doesn't make sense to throw any away. And I like building a library of my own... especially considering it's mostly fantasy and classics. Non-mainstream fantasy is very hard to get here in Slovenia, and damn expensive too. (Thank God for Amazon!)

Rallymama, next time put them into a box and ship them to me, I'll gladly relieve you of any extra fantasy you want to get rid of! :D

7. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I've kept all my books too, much for the same reason as dmc...I've read most of my books at least twice, and I go back and re-read the best ones often (ex. LOTR series-9 times, and the whole Drizzt series at least 4 times).

8. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

i keep everyone ive bought in the last 4 years(since i started reading) so ive got all 600( i think thats pretty good for being only 14) or so books for the same reason as dmc, i get urges to re-read books, parts of books, and/or series.

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Never shall I throw out a fantasy book! Or any good book in general. I have gotten rid of most of my pre-teen books however, as they do suck (things such as Goosebumps and Animorphs), but merely suggesting that I get rid of any of my books is worth the death penalty as far as I'm concerned.
    Those people in Candlekeep have the right idea :D

10. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Throw my books?!!!! :eek: No way i paid for them and no matter how cheap or how expensive their value for me is priceless i'd rather throw my brother out of the room than my books ;)

11. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I keep most all of mine, though the last time we moved, I went through the ones I really didn't think I'd ever read again (not many), and donated them. I think the collection is up to 600-700 now.

I need another bookshelf! :D

12. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

I'm a Bibliophile, through and through.

Throwing away books is Anathema to me.

Actually, my project for the summer has been compiling a database (a spreadsheet, actually) of my personal library. I have been going for about two months, and am about halfway done.

I have too many and yet not enough books. And yes, I hate to move - books are a b**** to pack, move, and then unpack!

13. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    No, never.... I have loads of books, some here, some "back home" and when I get my own place my first purchase will be a good, proper bookcase.

I or someone else has paid good money for them, and they have so many memories that I will not give them up. Never.

Also, like dmc, I like to re-read stuff... and the urge must be satiated immediately and not in three weeks' time.

14. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Sorry if I've left anyone with the impression that we DISCARDED our old books - heaven forbid! :eek: They went straight to the local library as a donation. :good: Seeing as the library was closed and I left them anyway, we didn't even get a receipt for tax purposes. :angel:

15. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I'll NEVER throw away a book. Even if I didn't like it. I keep all my books, except the school books! :D :p :grin:

16. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Having a library of my own is quite enticing idea, especially when one can say: "Yep, read them all" :D

Shelf 1: the Wheel of Time in hard-covers, and The Encyclopedia of Myths & Legends.
    Shelf 2: Highschool books.
    Shelf 3: More highschool books.
    Shelf 4: Computer magazines, highschool/ polytechnic/university memoes (and my collection of Magic -the Gathering cards I never use. They just have nice art, so just can't simply discard them.)

17. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I have a bookshelf thats full top to bottom all the way across my old room. It's getting so bad that I've started to double the rows. I have some books stacked in the corner by it to.

I'm not even close to my parents though. They have a bookshelf in the living room thats full top to bottom, then they have 25 boxes out in one of our sheds full of novels. It's gotten to the point that if I want a book I just ask my dad and he's probably got it.

He has everything from Dune to Helter Skelter to The Once and Future King.

18. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I never throw away books... it's like sacrilege or something...

19. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Twice in my life have I had an intentional book clear out.

Once when I left Norway back in the early 80's, I cleared out the children's books. They passed down to my cousins.

Second time when my parents moved back to Norway some ten years later. I was renting in a shared house then, and I didn't have much room. So I sent all my Norwegian language books back to Norway to the Summer house.

Other books have been lost along the way, mainly when I split with a previous girlfriend, but none have been intentionally thrown away.

20. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Our living room is wall-to-wall books, and there are duplicates of lots of them that my husband and I both own copies of. I also have scary towers of books on my desk and beside my bed, and we use stacks of Dungeons and Dragons manuals as sort of impromptu coffee tables in the office. I find it very, very hard to get rid of books. Even the ones I really hated. I just feel like maybe, someday, I'll want to read it again, or it will contain the answer to a trivia question, or maybe one of my nephews or nieces will like it, or... or... or...

It's totally irrational. I just get attached to them.

Once when I moved I could not afford to ship all my books to my new destination so I had to take a few boxes to a second-hand store. I actually got a surprisingly good amount of money for them, which I did not feel the least bit guilty spending entirely on new books once I'd got to my new home!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.