1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do you have a conscience?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Teensabre, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Teensabre Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

OK, I know everyone has a conscience, but do you actually hear somebody in your head? (NOT schizophrenia :D ) Is yours the voice/image of a famous person/relative?

2. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

You mean like a little voice in my head ? No, can't say i ever had that.

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Are you talking about Pinnochio and the Crickett sort of thing?

No, I sincerely doubt there are many, though there will be some. Do you have one TeenyS?

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    It's a feeling rather. Or sometimes like debating with yourself within your brain.

5. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

i dont know about a voice, but sometimes when i face my 45minute walk home from town after a night out i talk things through with myself. It always seems like a good idea at the time but i always respond to my questions with the most pessimistic views possible.

6. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I have borderline schitzophrenia, I talk to myself constantly and have 5 named personalities, Sephthra, Seether, Amon, Tangepone, and Rigamatoner, but I call them all by nick names, Seph Seeth Amon Tange and Rig. It would just be a split personality disorder instead of multiple personalities, but I regard myself as the middle one in conversation with myself, so its like I'm talking to someone else even though I'm talking to myself and I know I'm talking to myself it feels like I'm talking to someone else. Each of them takes on what I guess would be a part of my personality: my competitive nature, my anger and agression, my cold and distant intellect, my romantic side, and my sense of humor.

In this I am totally serious. It's something I developed when I was wee and now to me is just kind of a passing thought. It doesn't disturb my functionality or anything, I mostly just find it abstractly and objectively comical. It also keeps me from getting bored, ever, even when stuck somewhere without good people or near a computer.

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    To be a nitpick so has split personality nothing to do with schizophrenia really. It is a very old and deeply rooted misconception. Scizophrenia just makes you perceive the world in a very odd way and makes you see and hear alot of stuff that isnt really there. You literally live in a world of your own. Multiple personalities is a completely different thing, often developed in childhood as a mean to escape from something really horrible. Literally making it so that the bad stuff isnt happening to me but to someone else.

8. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I know- the Borderline Schitzophrenia is in addition to the multiple personalities.

9. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

A few years ago I discovered that I had several teacher animals. Native Americans say that people have "teacher animals" that convey lessons and guidance to an individual. I had several dreams in which a coyote was in them. I found out that coyote was one of my teacher animals. This fit because to Native Americans, coyote is a trickster and plays practical jokes. It is very close to part of my personality.
    A few weeks after I had had these dreams, I was out in my backyard where I grew up playing my NA flute on a clear night. As I was playing, I heard off in the distance coyote calling. I stopped to listen and he stopped. So I continued playing. As I continued playing, coyote started again. I stopped and he stopped. I realized that coyote was singing with me. We continued for about twenty minutes of this. Ever since then, I've always heard coyote's "voice" at times offering me advice. Not like actual words, but rather his essence guiding me. Its kind of hard to explain. There have been many occassions were coyote has appeared to me either in real form, or in a dream or as a presence guiding me. So I guess in a way, coyote could be part of a conscience.
    (note: I am aware I did not put the word 'the' in front of the word 'coyote' It is not a gramatical error, it is how Native Americans refer to things with a personality. Just don't want a plaque! :) )

[ January 22, 2003, 10:17: Message edited by: Elios ]

10. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

A voice? No. But I do think about the consequences of my actions, and how my actions would fit into my set of morals and ethics.

11. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I feel. I can feel much faster than discuss with myself. I once tried to make up different personalities talking to me in my mind. But I dropped it. There is nothing more effient than the most serious mind and the deepest commitment.
    I don't have time to discuss this in a commitee. One feeling can describe thousand words. So who needs discussions. But It is hard. I admit. I often catch myself in trying to blame other personalities for beeing lazy. For beeing rude. For beeing arrogant. But it is me. No charading personalities to blame. And like anything worth having in life, if you want to stay keen you got to work for it.

12. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I'd agree with the feeling thing.

I've felt physically ill after doing things I shouldn't (obviously *really* shouldn't). I suppose it's tied up with guilt, but that's the closest I've come to conscience as you describe.

I also try to do the right thing in other circumstances, and in a sense that is also a conscience, but I don't suppose that's what you mean.

13. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I sort of talk with myself a lot... I discuss with myself, debate, argue, berate and the like. Heck, I talk out loud to myself even in public. You should see how people look at me... It can go like this.

"Joze, my girl, you are being such an idiot... why are even thinking iof doing it...."
    "Because I am an idiot, that's Why"
    "I see... I should just off myself"
    "Nah... you aren't an idiot, merely a harebrain"
    "Why thank me"´

And so it goes on. Yóu cannot imagine how people look at me... it has to be seen.

(The girl who talks to herself)

14. Eilonwy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I dunno. I often think for myself, speak to myslef inside my head. Daydream, and pretend that stuff that doesnt happen, happen. And then the reactions of the people around me and everything.
    Sometimes I can have conversations with myself, inside my head.
    Heh.
    I know, you dont have to tell me...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.