1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do you buff your party before a battle? Answer honestly :P

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Archaven, Feb 10, 2006.

1. JiggaJay Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The only fights I have ever buffed for are against dragons or the last boss (can't remember her name... began with an M? It's been so long)

Otherwise, no I can't say that I do. I should probably start though :D

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I just try and roleplay as much as possible, which discounts most buffs. Plus, I'm too lazy to work out which ones I need when, which is why I prefer characters awho are strong when unbuffed (rather than the theoretical power of something like a fighter / mage who is awesome when he has the perfect combo of buffs and equipment)

3. Prine Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Personally I can't imagine how dull this game would be for me if I wasn't always formulating elaborate magical manoeuvres.

4. Tofa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

after playing IWD2 and using strength of one before most battles I got to BG2 and still used it to buff my party. In IWD2 i needed the spell, i forgot what it did, i just knew i needed it. 3/4 of the way through BG2 i realised what it did and i had most of my chars over 18 stength already. so i effectively brought down the strength of my party for most of the game. :doh: :)

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

^LoL, that is funny chrisDC.

BG2 and IWD2 are very different in buffing. The buffs in IWD2 are less serious and easy to deal with I guess. But in BG2, the buffs are amazing and there are hundreds of ways to dispel each spell/combat protection etc. This makes combat all more interesting! Magic is by all means more strong and reliable in BG2. :thumb:

6. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Actually, i usually buff DURING the battle. If some characters needs extra-protection, then i grant it.

7. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

My parties have always been melee-focused. My mage is simply for countering other mages and my priest is for picking up the pieces after the battle. Everyone else is a meat-cleaver.

8. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Me too. I mostly melee, and heal afterwards. Mages are there to summon fodder, or provoke the battle with one fireball or something.

I usually keep stoneskin on all my mages though. Iron skin... not as much because not as much spell slots for those and they seem to run out faster duration-wise.

I also tend to memorize some buffs, but they are left unused by the time I have to rest again. Things like death ward or spell immunity - they might come in handy, so I take them, but I don't end up using them.

9. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Before any bigger/tougher battle. That includes setting the trap field also :D

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

More like magic is far too complicated in BG II. Every enemy mage has a zillion instant immunities to everything and it takes ages to decipher which of the dozen counter spells you have to cast to get past them. I actually reckon that some encounters are almost impossible to do without 'cheating' slightly by preparing for the battle with precisely the steps required, even though there was no way your characters could predict what was going to happen.

11. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I cast buffing spells during battles, or when they first see their enemy, or when it seems logical.
    "There's a rampaging group of Wyverns" would probably mean that the party would do at least a couple of things to prepare rather than run along and say "Hey! There really are Wyverns here!"

So predominantly during a battle anyway ;)

12. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

@Harbourboy

Yea, that is the fun of it, magic is interesting, much complex and fun in BG2!

13. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I buff my party before a difficult battle then save (it takes a while...) in case something bad happens. I try to not get anyone killed. But if it's just your average battle then I don't bother, most of my party have protective items anyway.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.