1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do I still need Windows 98SE?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by SlickRCBD, Nov 6, 2012.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I posted a couple weeks ago about a hard drive crash on my old Windows 98SE/XP dual-boot system. I've had some busy weekends and haven't been able to work on that computer. Now I can't figure out how to image the 60gb and 100gb images onto 120gb drives without wasting space, so I'm reinstalling from scratch. I'm seriously considering not installing Windows 98SE at all.

Can anybody think of a need for Windows 98SE if I reinstall the following games:
    Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Starfleet Command I
    Starfleet Command II:Empires at War
    Starfleet Command II:Orion Pirates
    Starfleet Amarda (on second thought, I probably won't until I feel like playing again, I haven't played in years)
    Pool of Radiance II:Ruins of Myth Dranor
    Baldur's Gate I
    Baldur's Gate II
    Icewind Dale I
    Icewind Dale II
    Jane's Fleet Command
    Jane's 688i
    X-com
    X-com 2:Terra From the Deep
    Diablo
    Diablo II
    Heros of Might and Magic II
    King's Bounty (bundled with HoM&MII, probably need DOSbox since I could barely get it to work in Win98SE).
    Quest for Glory I VGA
    Quest for Glory II fan-based remake

That's it for what I intend to install off the bat, I can't think of much else I've played on that machine in the last 3 years. Everything else I can think of almost certainly needs DOSbox to run under XP.

Does anything on this list actually need Windows 98SE or can I forget it in favor of XP and halving the reinstall time? I'm well aware of the XP-patch for X-COM.

I can't think of anything else I'm going to bother reinstalling that I don't already know for sure works on XP. Then again, I already know the Infinity Engine games and Jane's Fleet Command work.

2. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I've not played many of those games, but BG 1&2, IWD 1&2 and D2 I have never even played on Win98. I have played them without a problem in XP, though, and at least BG and IWD work without a problem even on Win7. I would expect the same for D2.

X-Com I've never actually played, but I do have a version of it sitting around on my hdd somewhere and it doesn't work in Win7 out of the box, apparently there's some compatibility issue with 64-bit Windows. I still need to set that up in DOSbox.

Now if you'd been asking about Carmageddon 2... That's a game I still haven't managed to get to work successfully in XP or Win7.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I know I have at least two games that won't run on Windows XP, but I don't think I've played them in years. I don't think any of the ones on that list are it, and I guess if I do find it I can do without it.

I don't have XP 64, the machine is a 1ghz Dell Optiplex GX110 with only half a gig of PC-133 RAM that according to the manual can't hold more than 512MB.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  4. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

Back in the day I was stuck using an old 933mhz Dell optiplex gx115 for the longest time and yeah those old things can not hold more then 512mb of ram which sucks. Guess it was becuase they were made for windows 98se and that could not handle more then 512mb of ram.

5. Oxymoron Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG]
    I couldn't get it to work on Vista either, but then again, what works perfectly in Vista? :p
    Except Halo 2... :p

6. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

About Carmageddon 2... I think I can help on that one.

The problem isn't the game itself, which runs just fine on XP, it's the Securom protection on the disc is not NT compatible. There is an XP patch available for download, an unofficial patch from SCI. Download it and replace carma2_hw.exe with the patched one and voila, you can play this magnificient pedestrian slaughterfest once again.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.