1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do I need a tablet?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Beren, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I purchased a cell phone with the usual goodies and got onto a good and affordable plan today. I sort of let the person who set me up talk me into giving a tablet a try. There's a return policy, so basically I'm treating this as a short trial period.

But I'm wondering ... If I already have a laptop that I can take around with me during hotel trips and the like, do I really need a tablet?

I'd like to hear from other posters. Yay or nay? And why? If you do use one, how does it fit into your life and in what situations do you use one?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I would say if you have a smartphone and a laptop, you really don't need a tablet, but it's really up to you if you find it valuable... and they're typically pretty cheap.

3. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I have a laptop, desktop, and smartphone. There are a couple of tablets in my house (used by my sons). I really have no need to use them, at all.

To me a tablet is a possible alternative to a laptop. But a laptop is a lot more practical and useful for the things I need to do while on the go, so I would pretty much always choose a laptop over a tablet.

A smartphone is sort of necessary and separate to the above, because, well, I also need a phone. And this device gives me my on the go internet access. A tablet could maybe be the on the go internet device, but a tablet isn't a phone - so it can't replace the smartphone.

So, for me laptop and phone are needed. Tablets are an unessential novelty device.

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I have a phone and a laptop, and I can envision only one use for a tablet. I like to lie in bed and read, usually paper books from the library. I discovered that the laptop was nice for reading too, until I'm ready to goto sleep, then there is no good place to put it down without it being a trip hazard. Especially since I did not have Wi-Fi at the time, but simply made an extra-long patch cable from some scrap at work they were going to toss.

My phone can be used for this, but the screen seems a bit small. My eyesight isn't as good as it used to be so I need a larger font. I've often wished I went for the model with the bigger screen, but the one I desire would not fit in my pocket so easily and I'm not allowed to clip it to my belt at work. The one I have is the perfect size for my pocket. Good for then, not so good for lying in bed trying to read without glasses.

A tablet or e-reader (one that can display .doc, .htm, .txt, .rtf, and hopefully .odt) would be far better than the phone or laptop, but I can't justify buying one for this purpose.

Then again, these days with my current job, I don't have much use for a laptop except sitting on the porch watching DVDs or reading on nice days. The laptop is old and out dated. Let me put it this way, the laptop runs Windows XP and I haven't seen the need to buy a new one as I don't really have much use for it and the XP one works fine. It technically came with Vista, but performed so badly that I upgraded it to XP and it was an upgrade not a downgrade.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I've been trying to come up with a use for one to justify buying it, but haven't managed so far. If you read a lot on the go or away from the computer though, it might be worthwhile. For the record, I've already got everything BUT a tablet.

6. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    No.

There, conundrum solved. You can move on with your life now.

7. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Tablets have a niche. It is browsing the internet on the sofa. That's it. Doesn't work all that well for some sites, but then having a laptop on your lap is not that great, either.

8. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    A laptop fills that "niche" for me just fine. I have come to prefer slim-line laptops for an easy form factor and manageable weight, but otherwise control and options on a laptop are far better than those of a tablet. That said, in a pinch a tablet is perfectly acceptable in that role as well.

As a bit of an aside, many years back I purchased a "mobile desktop" from Alienware -- before they were purchased by Dell -- and I thought I could use it like a laptop. As I recall it weighed more than 12 pounds, and generated a ton of heat. After my first hour with it on my lap, I realized I would never use it like that again. And I think that started me down the path of preferring light, low-power laptops while on the go, and heavy-duty, powerful desktops for gaming and other more intensive activities.

9. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If I want more screen space, I'd need a desktop anyway, or dock a laptop, which would be pretty much the same. For traveling, I got a small and light laptop.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.