1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do girls play computer games?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Well, the person that actually got me involved in my current PnP group is a female (an old gf on top of that, ha!). She's also a more avid player of D2 than I have ever been, and is very much into the other "guy" games.

That said, she is one of the only female gamers I know of. If I met too many more around here, it would be shocking.

2. Crashta Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hmm ok this subject is voiced out me thinks.
    I really should be playing nwns or d2 right now
    but the only thing either of them got going fer themselves is the online gameplay.
    There are as many differant kinda chics as there are differant kinds of ppl.. so of course there
    are chics who play rpg. My only question is.. Is there any guys who play NeverwinterNights online??
    Ive only met other chics.

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Chics? :rolleyes:

Girls are as good as boys when it comes to games and role-playing. Sometimes they can be better, sometimes they can be worse.

But really chics is hitting low :toofar:
    What I have found is that women are more willing to play with people yet men prefer to play with other men. I think Crashtas' post verified this.

Added - I'm going to kick butt, Ancalimon, I will prove that girls are just as good as boys. I can be good at acting :evil:

[ March 14, 2003, 21:17: Message edited by: 8people ]

4. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Aye, probably true. But what are ye goin to do 'bout it 'chic'? :D ;) :p

5. SC Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I am a chick :p I play D&D P&P, and online. I also play chess, badminton, bass guitar, and piano. :) I've also introduced two of my friends to play D&D tabletop with me, and encouraged another one to play more as well. :) What I find is: Why aren't there any GUYS who play D&D around my school?

6. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Me? A Chic? Well... I am okay with my feminine side, if that's what you're hinting at :grin:

7. Woodwyrm Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] I don't know a lot of girls (Blame me for having an unequaled social life). But the of the girls i know, only one plays games, and she's doing it with a vengeance, on the swedish PCGamer forum we have (or had) a topic, just about this and the sexism in games... Also (don't laugh) i think i am in love with Aerie...

8. SoCo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] I knew a few girls that played EQ (EverQuest) They were in my guild... We became good Aol Friends soon after.

9. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Hey can someone help me out with a very small problem of mine. There is this girl at my school(I mentioned her earlier) who I kind of like. I think she is into D&D and computer games and such but I'm not sure, also I'm not sure even if she has a boyfriend. How do I ask her these things without making a fool out of myself if she, A. has a bf. B. does not play D&D or computer games(and even thinks they are geeky) I know this may be a bit off topic but I think as the starter I should have the right to post this.

10. Shura Gems: 25/31

[​IMG] Disclaimer: No sexist views are implied in the below post.

Yes, girls are equally as good, if not better in role-playing games but only a microscopic few have the reflexes and coordination required to play other games: platformers, shooters, etc.

Discounting those moronic dance machines you find in arcades, of course.

I did see a (hideously repulsive) girl play Counter Strike once in a LAN cafe, though she played badly.

Hence the lesser number of women/girls/females/chicks gamers...

11. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    @Kovalis: Are you already acquainted with this girl? If so, then it's easy. Ask her if she plays D&D and wants to bring a character into your group (clear that with the other players, first). Ask what her favorite game is, then if it's not the same asours you can debate the relative merits - or you have an opportunity to show her your favorite game(s). Either way, keep the conversation light and neutral, and at some point the boyfriend part will come along naturally.

Let us know what happens! :roll:

12. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Well, this is going to be... um, what's the word; dangerous, I think. I'll try to ask her come Monday. I can only hope that all goes well. :confused:

13. Hephaestus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

If I were you... I wouldn't come to me for love advice. :D :p ;)

Good luck, though.

14. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Shura: I do not want to start a debate with you, because I am in too good a mood to start arguing with anyone... But I ask, on what grounds do you say that females lack the reflexes and coordination?

Kovalis: Good luck!

(a female who likes to think that even though she may not completely prod buttock in certain games, she has female friends who certainly do!)

15. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    That's OK, Ara, I was wondering the same thing! I find it had to believe that women who have sufficient reflexes and coordination to succeed at sports - or even everday skills, like driving - couldn't ace computer games as well if they chose to. Males aren't good at them the first time they play, it takes time to learn the required responses. I still contend that the reason more females don't play the shhoter-style games is that they're not interested enough to invest the amount of time required to get good enough to make the games truly fun.

[ March 16, 2003, 13:35: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

16. Shura Gems: 25/31

[​IMG] @ Ara: I did not say that all females lack reflexes and coordination, just that many do. Hell, even many guys lack such attributes, being muscle-bound jocks with a centralised intelligence at their groin. It's just that with the smaller number of female gamers, quick-witted and razor sharp gamers are rarer than male gamers with, if you'll pardon the expression, leet skills (1337 5k115).

Now, I have no reason to doubt that you can wipe the floor with any average male gamer in many fighting games. So go kick their...prod their buttocks! ;)

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Asking her about d&d is nothing to make an issue of, but with that boyfriend be more careful. Of course, if you care so much whether she has one or not. Just ask her normally to go out with you somewhere, a pub, caffee, something casual and don't make a date of it. She will tell you about that boyfriend if she realises you're interested. If not, it'll come in some talk. Or you may just put the boyfriend in some neutral sentence (like asking her if her bf plays d&d as well - you need one more male character ;) ) - it always worked for me. Unless you blush, forget what you wanted to say etc everything will be good :) .

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.