1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do girls play computer games?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Are there ANY girls out there who are at all into playing D&D and computer games like Baldurs Gate?
    I only know 2 guys who play at all(and barely), and I don't know a single girl who even knows what it is.

2. Hephaestus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

There's a girl at my school who is an avid Diablo player. Sadly, however, nobody I know has heard of BGII.

3. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Yes, unfortunately, that seems to be the way things go for us poor common people and such. It's really fun and I don't know why more people don't play, I think it is because it's too complicated for their simple minds to comprehend. They don't understand... :rolleyes: :eek:

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Speaking as a former girl, I can readily say that simplicity of mind has little to do with why more girls don't play. Truthfully, it's probably exactly the opposite.

What video/PC games have the highest visibility among the non-gaming populace? It's stuff like Mortal Kombat, Quake, Duke Nukem, Vice City - all first-person shooters with barely enough plot to hold the spraying droplets of blood together. In general, this kind of game doesn't hold enough appeal for girls to make them look deeper on the shelves and find the good stuff, like BG, Zelda, Everquest, etc.

I bet if you look into it, you'll find that a significant proportion of people playing The Sims are female. Why this game over so many others? Because it's all about relationships, both cyber and the real ones that can develop. It's hard to have a relationship with a charater whose only purpose is to kick butt. Bo-RING!

5. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Something similar. Why don't more girls play chess?

There's some club-level players mixing it up with the guys. But how many women grandmasters are there?

There's plenty of smart girls out there, something anybody who goes to university will find out. But ... how is it its guys who are into games like chess and BG2?

6. Teensabre Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Oh Yeah! I have loads of games! Some are really boyish too, like Toca2 Racing etc. I have a lot of stuff like BG1 and Star Wars. :)

I have a game boy too ;)

I'm a game girl

7. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

my mate's girlfriend sometimes watched him play BG, IWD and Asheron's Call.

8. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] I can sense the horde of female SPers readying their Celestial Furies+3 and Holy Avengers +6 to wreak vengeance upon the starter of this topic...

But truth be told, where I come from, female gamers are almost non-existent. :(

9. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Whacks Kovalis with Avenger 6+ and ties him up with bubble gum and leta bubble gum needy Britney at him

Girls PLAY PC games and PS games. I am a very big fan of Tekken 3 I just don't have the opportunity to play. I have played BG2, BGI, TotSC, IWD, M&M 6-M&M8 and that's maybe all. I have better things to do nowadays.

10. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Females playing videogames are a rumour that I keep hearing of in the discussion boards in the net. I have considerable array of familiar people irl and I've never even heard of a familiar of a familiar's friend's friend who was female and even thought about watching someone play a videoconsole at some point of her life. Save a friend of mine who's played with me and her brother for a couple of times, just for the company. This is not to say that I wouldn't believe females play videogames at all, just that it seems to be very, very rare.

Like Rallymama said though, the public image of video-/PC-games isn't all that pretty. Roleplaying games in particular are the type that would relate to females better than most other games. And in fact, I believe more of the RPG gaming audience is female than is the case with other games. I assume this will all be fixed by time. Even more so as the females get bored with the 1 out of every 10 guys in the future who find something else to do but play games all the time (mark my words, the era of gamenerds is coming).

In the end though, I can't see why people would care. As obviously females have something quite interesting to do if they haven't still subjected to this gamingculture the way many males have. This is probably not so much a bad thing. Besides, from my own point of view I can say that not a single person I've met online has ever seen or heard of me irl. So I hardly care wether that pretty chick I'm traveling with in that strange fantasy world is a girl or a guy, as I'm never going to meet them anyway no matter what the circumstance.

11. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

No girls playing crpg's or any other computer games around here, i guess...
    RPG playing girls are rare, but i know one.

The era of nerds (especially gamenerds) is here.

12. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31

I was always thought of as ultra weird for liking video games, by guys and girls alike. So, I hid that fact. A lot. I still do, actually, it's never become a socially acceptable thing. But I think there are a lot of women who play video games who don't admit to it out of fear of retribution.
    And I kick butt at MK, thank you.

13. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31

You kick butt at MK. As in Mortal Kombat? I've never seen a girl play that.
    I'm rubbish at MK 1,2,3, but i can kick a good butt at MK4. I can't believe the new Mortal Kombat isn't coming out on PC, damnit. :bang:

14. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well I'm, like, one of those girls who would NEVER play computer games. I mean, it's such a guy thing. What would I do for an encore - like, change my own oil? Pee standing up? Hello?! Plus, I could totally, like, break a nail on the joystick or something.

15. Ex-Paladine Banned

My cousin of course a girl finished Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights.

Paladine whispers:

I can't but she can

16. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    I'm one of those mysterious 'game grrrls' as well :p

However I'm the only girl I know that plays games. Sure, some of them tried Games like Caesar or Pharaoh, but instantly deleted them when they found out they consist of more than one level :rolleyes: . (Patience is a rare quality these days). I tried to get my best friend to play BG one day...a total disaster. She got so upset because a gibberling killed her main char. It was hilarious. She thought it was unfair. lol

Also, I've noticed that when some of my male friends found out I also like games they were shocked and couldn't believe it. One of them asked me if it wasn't terribly hard to be a game girl. And to be honest I would never tell it to someone I don't know well. Over here it's okay to play games if you're a guy, if you're a girl, you're considered a nerd.

17. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

I know almost no girls who game!

18. Crashta Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hmm I know fer a fact chicks play computer games, not just rpg's like Diablo2, but games like Quake and Unreal.. I play D2 online ALOT, the social contact is goddessly. Nwns looks like it has a great multi too... xept fer the whole gamespy thing. O yeah, well chicks play these games.

19. Eilonwy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Hmm... I have played computergames as long as I knew there was something called a computer. Favourite game for years was Warcraft 2 and I when I dragged my best friend infront of the puter to show her she became some sort of orc wannabe. (Oh yes, you should see her!) I tried to make her play BG2 when I got it,(embarrasing to hear her talk about Warcraft 2 when Warcraft 3 was out) but she is very impatient and ran outta the room before we even finished her characters stats. She plays Diablo 2 though and of course Quake and NOLF.
    Most of my girl-friends play putergames, and yes, including The Sims and everything that belongs to it. *sigh*
    Funny thing is, I have lots of really bad games that noones ever heard of, instead of famous good games.
    Ever played Heist? America? Autobahn racing? Heart of Darkness?
    *sigh again*

20. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I am a girl.

I play computer games 24/7 and I used to be the best at my chest club for a wee while - I've somewhat lost it though. In my last school I was known as "The Computer Freak" and had more friends that were boys because the girls thought I was weird - without having a boyfriend at ten and refusing to wear make-up and play kiss chase... let alone any chase... running is pointless in my experience and non-experience. :rolleyes:

Society may prevent girls becoming avid gamers while it is stereotypical for girls to play with make-up and boys while boys play with girls and plastic models and rulesets.

Also it seems that while boys who play D&D are perfectly accepted girls are somewhat teased. I was often scorned and ridiculed because of what I talked about and because people didn't understand that games can be for anyone.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.