1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Divine Divinity

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Faraaz, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Hi...has anyone on here played this game? I found the review for it over at IGN and considering I've never heard of this game before, I'm considering picking it up online and getting it shipped. You only ever find German versions of games here in Switzerland anyway :( so I HAVE to buy stuff online...

So yeah, opinions please!

2. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Dammit, edited, read my other post.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  3. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Whoa...that's surprising considering the good reviews it got. Hmm...I might just "procure" it, if it really is that bad...

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A bit late in responding, but anyway...

Actually, I didn't find it so bad. However, there are a lot of side quests you can do. I fell into the trap of doing so many side quests that I actually forgot what I was trying to do overall, and I eventually lost interest. I never did finish the game.

5. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    An older diablo clone that stands a bit above the others. A lot to do, standard story.
    combat is clicking and potiondrinking. Budget bin stuff, for a rainy day. It will run on old computers

6. Technosis Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Okay, I have read here quite a time now as a guest, but this rather bad opionion to DD forced me to register here :D

So, some words to this game:

I have REALLY liked it. I have played it after playing the usual Infinity-CRPGs (IWD & BG-Series) and without ever playing Diablo or any other "action-RPG", so I cannot compare it with this game.

Of course, the graphics are somewhat outdated and the music is repetitive, but there are many good aspects which make this game a considerable option for any gamer interested in CRPGs:

~ non-linear game-play: you can go wherever you want, whenever you want. There are no restrictions in the main part of the game (of course you will have difficulties in certain areas because of higher-level enemies, but that's the same in Gothic).

~ very good level-up-system: you have a huge amount of possibilities how to develop your character and there are NO restrictions for the starting classes (like in the D&D-System, where a rogue is primarily a rogue and not, for example, a druid). So you can start as a fighter and then select skills from the mage or thief list. This adds a great amount of fun to the game. Further, every skill has 5 levels, so you can stengthen some skills if you like to do so.

~ incredible amount of quests. Also, this quests are quite differently from each other and well integrated in the storyline and the gameplay.

~ good journal. You do not loose yourself in 20k-sides of unsorted text (like in the original Morrowind-Journal) and you get your quests arranged for open and solved, so you will never loose your objectives or forget about a little piece you need to solve a quest. Further, you have a map with different zoom options and a page that lists information about your enemies, your kills, their level and much more (similar to the ToEE-feature)

~ very dialogue-lasting (like Fallout or BG). Also, there are quite well made NPCs with different characters. Some of them you will love, like the prostitute who works also as an assassin or the female general, others you will instantly hate or dislike (like the evil doctor who cooperates with the orks or some of the noblemen). There are also some humorous dialogues and possibilities (for example you can gain xp when going to a prostitute :D)

~ large numbers of enemies, so there are many challenges, and the overall difficulty is relatively well balanced (through there are a few exceptions and some really hard combats)

~ you have unlimited arrows :banana:
    (only non-magical, for magical arrows you will have to spend mana)

Of course, there are also a few negative aspects (other than weak graphics and repetitive music):

~ all enchanted items have random statistics, so it can appear that after a reload your super-weapon has much weaker statistics (or better). This applies only for weapons which are not in your possessions, so once you gain a really good weapon, you should save to preserve the current statistics ;)

~ the game is way too short :(

All in all, it is a very good game. If you are playing BG or IWD, then the graphics should be no real problem for you ;)

Greetings :cool:

btw: I hope there are not too many spelling errors...

7. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
    You can shoot me now.
    :good: I've made a mistake and am a dumbarse, my game was Beyound Divinity, the spin-off of Divine Divinity.

Now, what I've been reading from the internet, my hatred for the BD is justified, but DD is something else.
    It's like saying all the Star Wars movies are bad and the only ones you've seen are the new crappy ones. Then the hearing only registers "Star Wars" and doesn't notice the numbers "IV-VI" in the end.

Again, my bad. Buy the game.

8. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I loved the game. Despite having outdated graphics it is still pretty engrossing but you can easily get lost in the many side quests and simply humongous maps.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.