1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Divine Divinity!

Discussion in 'Playground' started by alighter, Sep 19, 2002.

1. alighter Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Anyone else is playing this one? This got to be one of the best games I have played in recent years. Sorta like Diablo2 + Fallout2, although heavier on the Fallout side (which IMHO is a good thing ;) )

It's replacing IWD2 as my favorite game of the year now :cool:

2. Ray192 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

it's already out???

3. alighter Gems: 4/31

Hmm... don't know about US, it's out in England, so we got it here quite fast too ;)

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] I've seen it in a preview at Slappy's site and to be honest about it...

Consider it bought! ;)

5. Veldrin

Veldrin We'll ride the spiral to the end Veteran

Yeah, I saw adds for it too, looks pretty cool. I wonder if it's out here or not.

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Hmmm.

I've not heard of this game. Diablo2 and Fallout2?

I'm not sure that a good mix. Heck, I'm not really sure the *reagents* are even good.

But I'll at least give it a look/see...

7. alighter Gems: 4/31

You don't think Fallout 2 is good? Blasphemy! :p

And this game is more like Diablo 2 in combat system, but Fallout 2 in spirit. Or maybe Ultima 7 in spirit. Which makes a really great game :cool:

8. Ray192 Gems: 5/31

is there a demo for it?

9. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

10. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

"440Mb"

Mother of God.
    (is there anything else to say?)

11. TheNovak Gems: 5/31

Yes--thank God for DSL.

12. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I've seen a couple of reviews now and the reaction has been mixed. The first (PC Zone) scored it very highly and loved the atmosphere, music, graphics (allowing for them only being 2D), the story, the flexability of the character development, the degree of interaction with the world, the size of the game and the lack of loading screens. The second (PC Gamer) gave a relatively low score with the biggest gripe being that they found it boring to wander around large empty areas and found the combat too simplistic and repetitive. I also think they felt that it was all a bit old hat without 3D and no multiplayer (not that that affected PsT or BG).

So it'll be interesting to hear what you lot think :)

PS just found a (possibly biased) online review:

http://www.gamesxtreme.net/features.php?id=536

I'm not sure when it's out but the beginning of October seems likely for the UK. You can order it here:

http://www.gamer.uk.com/cgi-bin/aff_jump.cgi?uid=taluntain&item=pcgames2394

[ September 21, 2002, 10:35: Message edited by: Slappy ]

13. alighter Gems: 4/31

I thik the game look great, even compared to 3D games. It got some nifty details and effects that's not possible with 3D graphics yet. ;)

14. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

It's already out, Slappy, I saw in in the shops today.

15. alighter Gems: 4/31

It's out in UK for more than a week I heard. and out in US for three days I think...

16. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Doh, I thought I'd seen it in the shops but after not being able to get it online, I thought it must just have been a promotional box. I need to get out more :)

17. Ray192 Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] ".The second (PC Gamer) gave a relatively low score with the biggest gripe being that they found it boring to wander around large empty areas and found the combat too simplistic and repetitive. "

oh my god, those guys gave diablo 2 like 94% and they complain about simplicity and repeativeness???

18. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Yeah.

That's why I canceled my subscription to PC Gamer. It's like "Skiskel doez Gamez". They've made so many bad callz, it's obvious their tastes far differ from mine. I go with CGW, now. They are fairly locked on. Although, they like UT2k3, and the little bit of it I've seen really sucks.

So, I may have just been watching the wrong LAN game...

19. Ray192 Gems: 5/31

heh, at least PC gamer got the best demos usually, that's the only reason I buy them(too lazy to download), if I wanted reviews and previews I'd ratehr go to IGN or Gamespot.

20. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I downloaded the demo (an hour and a half on my dsl), and spent a few hours playing it. I would say the point of view and animation is similar to Fallout, and the gameplay is similar to the first Diablo (but much more open). It generally has an "old school" feel to it, which is both good and bad.

In some ways, the game seems kind of primitive. For instance, when there is a wall blocking your view, the game does not make the wall transparent, something most games started doing 10 years ago! If you are in the back of a building you will be able to see your character through the wall, but not items or objects. Inside, you can't even see your char if he's behind a wall.
    The graphics are decent, although not great, but the animation seems awfully stiff.

Still, I did have fun with it, and would have played more if the demo let you save. I like a lot of older "classic" games (own a Sega Genesis, and several other older systems), so the fact that the game feels a little outdated graphically doesn't bother me. I thought it was fairly entertaining, and that's what matters. The quests are varied and interesting, and I liked the way you can pick from different skill sets, you are not restricted to just the skill sets for one character. It seems to be pretty open ended.

Overall score: 3 and a half out of 5. Not worth buying full price ($40 in the US), but I'm looking to pick it up cheaper on ebay or as a budget title. Better than that horrible Throne of Darkness game, but not as good as Nox.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.