1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dividing up the loot

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Erran, Aug 24, 2001.

1. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] A common problem when adventuring is who gets what. 3 tried and tested solutions in order of increasing complexity and fairness:

1) If the party has a 'charismatic' leader that everyone trusts, let them decide.
    2) Draw lots (roll die) highest picks first, then the next etc...
    3) Assign a value to each item (per DMG) If someone gets a +1 sword then they get that much LESS gold.

anyone any better ideas?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You forgot: Battle Royale! Freeforall! The one left standing gets the loot!

3. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I think that the best way to split up the treasures found is to assign the Magical Items to the character best able to use them to the parties advantage, in a case of equal possibilities, the person who actually found it gets first choice then roll dice for it. The monetary portion (and any items that are sold off), are divided equally among the players. If the DM runs a fair world, the magic items will equal out in the long run. Also, it can be useful to keep a portion of the money in a pool to purchase group items; including food, lodging, healing potions, etc.

Just an example of how the magical item thing works: Take the No. American Team from RC, They find a +1 Long Sword. There are 2 fighters, 1 ranger, 1 paladin, and 1 Elven Sorceress all who could use the sword. But which one would be best suited to use it giving the party the best advantage for having it. If we decide that all are equal, then the one who actually picked it up gets it. If that one does not want it or if the cleric picked it up, everyone roll 1d20, highest roll gets it. We could also argue as to the best person suited to get it. The sorceress, although proficient because of elven heritage, would not be the best choice as she would not be getting into melee fights that often, we hope. Gaspar, the fighter, has weapon focus with the greataxe and due to his great strength is +6 to hit already. In a similar way, Mathetais is +5 to hit with the Longsword already. This leaves Bayne, the ranger, and Calin, the Fighter. It would be hard to argue as to which one would best benefit from the +1 longsword so We have the two roll 1d20 (unless one of them picked it up first, then that one gets it).

This may seem like a long process, but actually, it really takes only a minute to assess the situation. It takes much longer to type it out, and much much longer to have the group argue over who gets the damn sword.

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited August 24, 2001).]

4. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Finders keepers tends to favour rogues who are opening chests while the battle still rages around them!

As for items evening out, that depends on the DM. In a persisent, low magic world with a lot of players (like ALFA) you can't count on it.

5. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

Yes Erran, But isn't that why we organize guilds like AORTA. This way we travel with like minded people. We can sell off the extra +1 swords in order to buy that +1 mace for the Cleric.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Yeah, but see the Battle Royale method makes the whole process of battle far more interesting and strategic. See, when battle with the monsters breaks out everyone in the party is thinking "I better hold some back so my buddies take it in the shorts and I can be triumphant with the loot!" But they can't hold back too much, else they risk losing their lives altogether: no loot for anyone. So what do you do, go all out 'til the monsters are almost dead and then take a few cracks at your buddies (like a couple of fireballs into the midst of the melee), or do you hold back as much as you can hoping the monsters will do most of the work for you, and all that's left for you is to mop up? See? Strategy! Balance! MUCH more interesting... ;)

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited August 24, 2001).]

7. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] BTA that sounds great for an evil party, where backstabing and still are just part of every day life. Hopefully in a good party a less destructive way can be found. I find the bidding process works the best. Let the PCs each state what item they'd like and if their is no conflict your golden. If two or more PC want the same item they can either trade, draw lots or have a duel. It all up to the players.

8. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I think BTA must be evil. now the whole whoever found it gets it doesn't work in a battle where items drop. I think that everyone should pick a weapon that would best suit them at the beginning of the game so that there is less conflict when a good item drops

9. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I would say that the 1st point is good, about a party leader deciding, though it requires that person thinks for the best of the group. Say party leader decides unless majority is thinking otherwise

10. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] The party leader answer has major issues though. Once in a while having someone (the player with the best CHR) speak for the party is a good idea, but having them determine who gets what smacks of deiaster. Do it a more democratic way for best results.

For example in my current party we have 7 PCs and none of them really stand out as the 'leader'. Most of us have been role-playing together for years and we won't let anyone PC 'take charge'. If someone said 'hey, we have this loot and I'll decide who gets what' we would most like beat them to a pulp. The 'lets see what we have and all vote on it' method works so much better. But this is only my experience with older players, maybe things are different with your group.

11. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

Voltric, when you have an experienced group of players who have been playing together, that method is indeed the best. When you are dealing with a group of new players, or players who are playing together for the first time, the party dynamics are different. Eventually, though, the players will ultimately have to decide what the method that works best for them will be. This can however make or break a party.

12. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Well, my philosophy is that the other characters won't know what I just found on the dead orc's body if I don't tell them....

13. Penlal Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Shralp,
    I've seen that tactic used by MANY thieves. The ol' dont tell and nobody gets hurt. Now while that may be fine and good RP wise, it hurts the party IC. For instance, let's say a thief (no matter what his alignment) did that in my party, I have a CG (but not too intelligent) barbarian. When the barbarian finds out the thief had the item and didn't disclose it to those who just took a whipping defending the thief's ass, he gets upset and looks at it like they were just betrayed. Betrayal is a typical evil act and being chaotic to begin with, he attacks and slaughters the thief in a fit of rage. How does that benefit the party? It doesn't because now we have no thief AND the rest of the party may be upset with the barbarian (typically the muscle of thr group). BUT it was all IC and perfectly legal role-playing. In addition, the theif's PLAYER is upset with the barbarian's PLAYER and vice versa and now that brings up another problem. So although that thief tactic may be practical from a RP standpoint, it usually hurts all involved.

14. Erran Gems: 19/31

As leader of AORTA, any thief CAUGHT doing that would be booted instantly. How can you expect the party to save your a$$ with cures and protection ir you're only out for number one? Happy solo roleplaying, or join a bunch of C-Es.

15. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

A concern of dividing loot was always a tough decision. Maybe it is just my RP group, but if their party finds a +1 Bastard Sword, everyone wants it, no matter if the party has no character focused or even proficient with the weapon. It mostly leads to selling the item and dividing the profit, but the initial argue is more like "...I'll kill you if you're not gonna let me carry the sword to the store..." The point is, everyone learns the hard way, and experienced players have fewer problems on this one.
    About hiding loot. Well, if the party defeated some enemies and one member snatched some items and acts like he'd never seen them... Same thing that to steal from your comrades. But, if the person has dispatched the enemies alone, while the party was busy doing other things, I see no reason why he shal not be allowed to keep most of the loot for himself.

16. Binky Farnsworth Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well for my 2cps worth I've never had a problem with dividing magical loot. Groups I have played in have always seemed to be able to work out who gets what pretty easily. Often the players with lower STR would get first dibs on magic weapons and obviously Wizards would get the wands etc. I guess that was one benefit of 2e rules with weapon proficiency involving specific weapon types and not general categories.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.