1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

District 9

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Tassadar, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Has anyone seen this yet? I just came back from the movies and I've gotta say this is the best film I've seen this year by a longshot. In terms of sci-fi movies, this is right up there amongst the very best, and I really did not expect anything like this. Definitely will see it again.

2. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    I saw a couple of previews, but I still haven't gotten the story. Is it an invasion of aliens, or is it genetic monsters? :confused:

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Haven't seen it yet, but from the previews it looks like a case of marooned aliens. They didn't invade, they're stuck here and somehow humans aren't allowing them to leave. But that's just my best guess.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Looks cool, I can't wait to watch it.

5. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

It was a pretty cool story, but probably doesn't merit the absurd hype it gets. It is fairly predictable at times (not really a problem), but the main flaw is that leaves you thinking there could have been more.

In terms of hype versus reality it reminds me slightly of Slumdog Millionaire. Go in there expecting an incredible film and you may be disappointing, but go expecting a good one and you'll be perfectly satisfied.

6. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I saw it and loved it. One of the few movies I've seen this year that has actually made me feel something (the rest have been bland crapbags). Plus, it was wicked cool, and does not look like a 30 million dollar movie (more like 300 million dollars with some of the effects they have).

Don't go in expecting the second coming of Christ, though.

7. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I should probably note that I was one of those who were satisfied.

8. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    I really should go see it. Someone told me it was the best Sci-Fi movie he saw since Blade Runner...

As for Slumdog millionaire, I have to agree with you Chicken. I was taken by the hype, but I thought it was a beautiful film (the photography is amazing), but I thought the story was rather predictable and corny. Matter of fact, am I the only one who finds it rather annoying that the film puts so much emphasis on the american dream (i.e. with enough money, you can have all your dreams and find love...)...

9. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Saw it... have to agree it's one of the best sci-fi movies I've seen. Reminds me of the old T.V. series Alien Nation. Just a precaution, it's quite gory and violent.

10. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I saw it yesterday and thought it was very good.

11. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I liked it too, it combines scifi with a bit of social/historical situation commentary.

12. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I thought it was very odd, but I liked it overall.

13. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Great movie. Much better than those other 300M $ "summer hits"...

14. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Yep. Cool movie, nice ideas and nice implementation.

15. Saber

Syndax! Good to see you, where've you been?

16. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Good, but it had some problems.

First of all, if you're going to do an allegorical story about race relations, one of the great hopes should not be that the blacks all go back to Africa. I mean, ****ing seriously. And of course there's the whole 'blacks are analogous to cockroaches' thing, but whatever.

As for the filming, every single action sequence post, um...well, post-exposure...needed reworking. The mercs spontaneously began suffering from stormtrooper syndrome, a bit of sheet metal serves as an effective shield from small arms fire, the mercs have simultaneously the best morale and worst tactics of any fighting force ever and so on...

17. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    ... and how could alien rocket fuel or whatever that was transform a human into an alien? Easy that one, because it's alien technology that's not supposed to be understood.

In that spirit ... details, details. The movie was fun ;)

And I have a feeling that there will be a second part.

18. Saber

Haha, the fuel-transformation is a huge sticking point for some people... the best explanation I have heard is that because everything the aliens use is DNA based (i.e. human beings can't use their weapons, they have to stick their arms in that goo to fly the ship), the fuel has their DNA in it as well. When he got it on him and was then cut on the arm, it got into his blood and, well, you know the rest.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.