1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dissapointingly easy battles.

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Yulaw9460, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] We´ve seen so many threads (I guess) about epic dragonbattles, beholders, liches etc. but how about the dissapointingly easy battles? What battles did you have a lot of high expectations for, but turned out to be somewhat of a breeze?

I´ll give an example: Jan Jansen. Arena in Ust Natha Tavern. Summoned Fire Elemental and killed off all mages with Kuo-Toa Bolts without getting a scratch. Rather dissapointing. I had such high expectations about Drow mages and Drow in general, but apparently not everybody can rock the world like Viconia can...

2. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Heh, been plenty of those too. But have you checked mods? They can make battles a lot tougher.

3. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

Illasera in the start of ToB. A Bhaalspawn who falls that easy? Wow. Talk of thinning of bloodlines.

Then again you even get time to prepare.

4. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

Actually, she was part of the Five, the so called most powerful of them all.
    Perhaps she ran into an army of vampires on the way and didn't have time to seek a church for aid? :D

5. Toker Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

I'm using the tactics mod - there are no easy battles, just difficult ones and almost impossible ones.
    I've also got Valen in my party, this means i have to be extra careful because she cannot be bought back to life when she's dead - this makes all the battles even harder.

6. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

Yes, I know. "Most powerful" :lol:

I had more problems with Gromnir than her or Balthazar for the matter.

I take it as proof that one should stick to a couple of beers.

Illasera must have been drinking heavily last night and Balthazar, well, those monks are into water, right? :lol:

7. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I agree that she was a disappointment, but you have to think of it from the game designer's point of view. She needs to be beatable with ANY character you create. Yes, I know you are suppost to import your character from Shadows of Amm, but you do get the option to do otherwise. That bag of holding they give you doesn't always have weapons that match your chosen proficiencies or even the kit you choose. Poor design, on the bag, but it's a valid concern. Still doesn't make sense from a story perspective, it should be a difficult battle where you barely win, regardless of what class you are.

8. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

I dont know, from a story point of view it makes sense for Illasera to die easily.

I mean, the player character is supposed to be one of, if not the, most powerful Bhaalspawn. Illasera may be one of the 5, but still the weakest of them.

She was arrogant, she was cocky, she got beaten badly.

*Spoiler*
    Given what we know about Melissan, she could have easily tricked Illasera into fighting a battle she had no chance of winning.

*end spoiler*

WOuldnt it be nice if BG2 and ToB were remade, so that ToB were much longer, and had you spending time hunting down the 5 and doing side quests?

9. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

Illsera was tough the first time I fought her. Of course I had very little idea what I was doing :p .

The most dissappointing fight I've ever had would have to be the Cult of the Eyeless. I chose instead of doing all the detective work to just kill everything... and I did just that... Killed everything within' 2 minutes including the beholder! Wasn't it supposed to be some kind of god?

10. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

Well, Omnigodly, Beholder cults are just that, Beholders that decide they're too awesome for Underdark and decide to delve in some self-styled godhood. For the normal populace, it most certainly is godlike in power, but still no more than a Beholder, all in all. But yeah, quite easy still.

11. Halasz Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I thought Jon Irenicus was a very easy battle...it was kind of dissappointing. Amellysan on the other hand OMG!

12. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

On my last play through, I fought Irenicus in the Elven City, before you go to Hell. Now, online (and my brother) kept telling me how incredibly difficult the battle was. Well, when I got there... I paused, set up my initial attack, unpaused, 3 characters scored a critical before his defenses went up and the battle was over. Somehow, I was so drained from the battle I still went to Hell (with all characters at full life). Oh well.

13. Hethan the Skald Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

@ starfox: if you were lucky enough to score THREE critical hits with different characters on the first round, I say you deserve to win that easily.

How was the hell battle, though? That one always gives me a bad time.

To stay on topic: I'm the complete opposite of a tactical mastermind, and that's why I usually don't thing the battles are too easy. Unless I've already played it enough times to memorize what works. Even so, I like to try different approaches to keep it fresh for me.

I never tried Tactics and installed Improved Anvil once, but thought it to be overkill for my tastes. You mean the Copper Coronet Slavers have THAT kind of magical power? Maybe I shouldn't be worrying about Vampires or Cowled Wizards, then. Well... that's just me.

14. Aerie's Number One Fan Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Media:
    The Shadow Dragon in the Temple Ruins. I paused the game and had everyone geared up with weapons and spells, including Nalia having Disintegrate ready. I unpaused, expecting a rollicking good battle, only for Disintegrate to actually work and turn the Shadow Dragon into tiny shadow dragon particles.

15. Hethan the Skald Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

There's a problem, though: correct me if I'm wrong, but using Disintegrate also destroys any items the target was carrying.

In the case of the Shadow Dragon, you'd lose on some of the best leather armor and STR-enhancing weapons in the game.

16. Aerie's Number One Fan Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Media:
    The weapons and armor I had at the time were doing me fine so I wasn't too fussed about losing out on the armor or Crom Faeyr.

17. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

It's probably been said before, but...

Balthazar. Seriously, his AI was ridiculous; all I had to do was run around while my other characters took hacks at him. No clue whether this was a pathfinding issue or a targeting issue, but whatever it was, it was rather disappointing.

18. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

The IA shadowdragon. After several 1/2 hour failed attempts at taking down the beast I ended up killing him in about 2 rounds before he could initiate his dialogue. Just about everyone hit and did good damage, including the summons. Very good luck methinks.

19. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

The false talk strategy?

20. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

That's my favorite "strategy"! Also, Cloudkill; close door.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.