1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Disney Purchases Marvel

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by LKD, Sep 4, 2009.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

What will the upshot of THIS acquisition be? Is it a Good thing or a Bad thing? I'm a little nervous -- I don't want to see Iron Man teaming up with Mickey Mouse.

Thoughts?

2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I am actually more concerned that the price of comic books will skyrocket becauase of the cost of the acquisition.

3. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    When Marvel almost went belly up a decade or so ago, the prices went up like you wouldn't believe. And almost one issue on four was a "special anniversary issue" or something, and those were double the price.

I don't know what the prices were in the last few years, since I haven't read comic books since about the first X-men movie. I don't know how the prices could go up and still maintain an edge over DC or Image (are they even around anymore?)

I'm also concerned about the move. One of the things I dispised of Marvel, and especially the X-men, was the family oriented turn the comics were taking. We you start to read them at the beginning of the '90s where the characters were at their darkest, it's a hard blow. And with Disney, wouldn't be surprised it would become more light-hearted... :(

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm predicting smaller bosoms :D

LKD likes this.
  5. Triactus

Media:
    :lol:, yes, and the return of the Power pack, the super heroes children... *Triactus throws up*

EDIT : I was looking up Power Pack on wikipedia just after I wrote the post, and came across this : "Joe Quesada announced on a New Joe Fridays column at Newsarama that the Power Pack would be returning to the Marvel Universe in late 2007 after the events of Civil War. However, due to the various delays within their release shipping schedules for Marvel Comics; Power Pack's return may now occur within 2009".

*Triactus throws up again*

LKD likes this.
  6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Honestly, I don't think this can be a bad thing. The only thing of interest that Marvel is putting out right now is Runaways. And if your prediction of them returning to light heartedness turns out correct that would make me ridiculously happy. Grimdark and gritty blah can all just go and die in a fire.

Of course, I would love to see Power Pack return :p The original series was very enjoyable until it derailed horribly at the end, and the non-canon new series were highly enjoyable. It's a pity all the other good series were ruined by the 90s grimdark period - X-Men, Excalibur, New Mutants (why did they bring it back if they were going to do this to it?)...

Screw the 90s - it was the worst thing that ever happened to comics.

The Great Snook likes this.
  7. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Oh! My! Nooooooo!

Hells, Disney's one of the worst things that's happened to anything, ever!

Marvel's stuff's been down in the dumps for a long time now, but from this news I get the image of every Marvel character and Stan the Man being sexually assaulted by the Ghost Of Walt. Bloody poop. It's. Just. Too. Much.

8. Triactus

Media:
    Seriously, I think you have it backwards. The '80s and '90s made the comics! The badass period of the super-heroes is when they had the most depth to the characters. I mean Spawn, that was a great title, even though it's not marvel!

LMAO!! :lol:

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I assure you, I don't have it backwards :p Recently I went on a major X-Men binge and set off to read every X-Men comic printed along with most of the spinoffs.

60s: Shallow, repetitive, but still entertaining. I'm glad comics evolved from there though.

Mid-70s to mid-80s: Fantastic. Characters gain things like depth and motivations. They do new and exciting things each time and break the formulas.

Late 80s: Still mostly good, but eh ... things are starting to fray around the seams. X-Men especially dwindles into a bit of a mess, but has some shining moments of awesome. New Mutants reaches a peak and starts to drop. Excalibur appears and more than takes up the slack though.

Early 90s: Every single series drops into an inescapable black hole of grim'n'gritty nonsense. The New Mutants are taken over by Cable, who then turns them into a paramilitary black-ops group and the series is canceled. Excalibur goes from being a light and fun adventure to misery - Phoenix is sucked into a time warp and lost 'forever', Captain Britain returns as some kind of insane barbarian-sort, Shadowcat hooks up with her apparently undead friend from long back and much moping is done, and Nightcrawler is all crushing-doubt-and-agony. X-Men goes even further with the whole 'hey I know - let's kill Illyana and make Colossus EVIL!' thing and ... urgh.
    And let's just not mention what they did to Power Pack. Retconning that crap is probably the only time I've ever been happy about a retcon.

I gave up before reaching the end of '92.

I'm not going to say that nothing good came out of the 90s - there's Sandman and Hellblazer and such. But pretty much everything that was already good was ruined by the 'let's make everything dark and gritty' thing. Dark'n'gritty != depth!

Loreseeker likes this.
  10. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    I'm absolutely with Aik on this.

There is a point where there really is no point reading X-men anymore and it corresponds with 1990.

Bronze Age is fabulous as comics go - while Rust is... well just that. Getting depressed all the time really isn't *fun*.

...and supers with guns *shudders*

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

A third one onboard for the anti-90's Marvel theme. I only really collected comics during this decade but I actually tended towards Image comics such as The Darkness, Divine Right, etc.

And for Spider-Man. The Clone Saga. Really? REALLY? What a convoluted piece of crap.

However, I did read some of the Marvel MAX series and I have to say that The Punisher is THE SHI+. And Vertigo trumps everything as far as comics for adults goes. Preacher, Hellblazer, Sandman, Y: The Last Man, Fables.

12. Triactus

Media:
    You're possessed, the lot of you!!! :pope:

haha, no, seriously, I agree that the '80's was a good time for comics. I just think that the '90s was the next step in the same motion. The darker period had started before 1990. But seriously, the best marvel crossovers have to be The Age of Apocalypse and the Onslaught saga. Next to that are the Infinity sagas, started in the '80s and finished in the '90s.

Enagonios, I whole heartly agree that the Peter Parker is a clone story ark is pure BS. Especially in the end where the writers, seeing the massive drop is sales, finished the story line with the regular "no, we were just kidding". But it was the same in DC. Superman died, Batman was crippled, Hal Jordan went crazy and he started a killing rampage.

Yes, there were misses, but to me, there were far more hits.

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Ah, right :doh: That Electric Superman was retarded, I'd totally forgotten about it. I did enjoy the AoA series though. And I actually thought Batman having to go through his training again was pretty cool although Jean Paul Valley was annoying since he was such a nutjob.

And I wasn't a Green Lantern fan so I thought the Hal Jordan thing was brilliant. Zero Hour was pretty cool. And that one issue in his descent into madness, the one with the cover with him and his insane grin flashing his fingers loaded with green lantern rings like they were his "bling" was one of the most bad-ass covers ever.

14. Triactus

Media:
    I wasn't a fan of lantern at the time. My brother started collecting them starting with the introduction of the Kyle Rayner, the new Lantern. At some point, he started buying all the previous issues of the original series. I read them all, and I must tell you : DC created some monsters. Both Superan and Hal Jordan were too perfect. They were so good and righteous that nothing would make them sway. They realized they had to do something to shake the boat so they "killed" both characters.

When you get to Hal Jordan's madness, it makes absolutly no sense that he would behave that way. His home town was destroyed, but his on and off girlfirend/soulmate survived, and he says, in the issue before the story ark, something to the effect of "Well, the town may have been destroyed, but if we remember them, they will live on in our hearts. And at least I have you". Then the issue after, he goes mad with grief and kills every one he cared about, bassically. It makes no sense at all! The character was not like that, he was much wiser. I felt cheated... :(

Of course, I liked the new lantern and I thought it was a good move to bring in some new blood, but just not the way it was handled...

15. olla86 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I think it is not bad and Iron Man wouldn't became a Jerry or a Mickey Mouse.
    This is a business. That is all!

16. Triactus

Media:
    Yeah, but a new company means a new philosophy. In radio broadcasting, when another company takes over, the whole team is canned and another one is hired, so the listners understand it's a new concept.

I'm not saying the creative teams at Marvel will be canned, but we can certainly expect them to make creative changes to the products. Will it be good or bad? My money is on bad, but that's me...

And of course they're a company and they technically can do whatever they want. However, they sell their product to people. We are in our right as a consummer to demand a quality product.

17. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

A fairly funny take on the possible outcome of the takeover: Marvel Poppins

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

A talking mouse and a duck that wears no underwear? They're already mutants! Professor X is just bringing them under his wing before Magneto does.

19. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Donald Duck was banned in sweden :rolling:

I'm dating a comic buff, so my main concerns about the purchase will be:
    1. Will the price of comics increase? Probably not as Disney is already pretty much a cow in most areas. Both brands are 'household' and purchases are pretty much a given for both sides
    2. Will the production of books increase? Disney may expect more turnover, which may mean streamlining product ranges, weeding out less popular things to get the more popular things out with more frequency. Or overall increase in production to all ranges will leave me in a flat with a manic reader :rolleyes:
    3. Will current storylines be interrupted? Alterred? Discarded completely? Listening to batman rants was bad enough! :lol:

20. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Donald Duck was banned in Sweden? When? I spent my childhood reading Donald Duck comics in Sweden and I have as of yet never heard of a ban.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.