1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Disappointing final battle

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Mollusken, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Well, I finally reached the final battle in Icewind Dale for the first time, and it was a huge disappointment. No really tough monsters, no monsters who throw nasty magic at me (except from the lousy traps) and all the monsters were easy to slice down. I have also met myconids tougher than the big red fellow :(

2. Bloodaxe Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

i agree, the hardest foe in the game must be yxunomei. she was a hard one!

3. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Dissapointing is nothing compared to what i felt when i played it. It was an appaling ending after such a beutiful but short lived game.

4. Thalantyr Guest

[​IMG] Put it on Heart of furry mode and get back to me.

5. Whistlingleaf Gems: 1/31

when you add HoW-- the insane mode and the HoF mode both add extra monsters

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yeah, the ending was kinda' a letdown. Even the whole 'crystal' story just turned me off. But the road *to* the ending ruled. The Temple, Shattered Hand, Dorn's Deep, Wyrm's Tooth; all good D&D kinda' storylines.

So, I usually stick to 5/6's of the game. I play until I get to Easthaven (again), and restart a new game...Soon as I wrap up a jont through BG2, I'm going back to the Icewind with a KILLSWORD!

(here nym, here nym, here nym, nym, nym)

7. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Now I never did like the story line, and the final battel wasn't too rough, but I did like the villian of Brother Poquelin. There was just something about him that made me actually want to kill something in the game. The finally could have been much rougher, as honestly I had a much harder time getting past Pomab and his damned reflections, hellnights, and reflecting lighting bolts. I think three party members died there. And the final battle in lower dorn with the priests and the artifact was the most wicked fight of the game. (Just rush in there without knowing what to do to end the fight quick and you'll see what I mean...slaughter). The one real saving grace of the final fight was the dispell magic that kept going off and removing all my protections (and I had a lot at the start of the fight from saved up potions and spells). Personally if there is another IWD, I'd like to see Brother Poquelin return, if in a bit harder form.

8. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

Of course he will return. Didn't you see the ending movie? Icewind Dale 2 has to come.

9. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Oh I saw the movie, one of the better plot twists in the game I might add. That also adds something unexpected and enjoyable to the way the game ends. For once, I never saw it coming.

10. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

It was a nice twist. Took me by surprise too.

11. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

I just finished IWD on Friday for the first time and found the final battle to be pretty easy. I can't say that I was disappointed by the game. It was a lot of fun.
    Having played BG2/TOB first made IWD seem less challenging (because it is). Additionally, I got greedy when I rolled up my characters and they were all quite powerful. In BG2/TOB I rolled up a good main, but used NPC's for the rest of my party, so the overall stats were not as good.

IWD is a great game and I am looking forward to the sequel.

12. Weatherman Gems: 1/31

OK so whats wrong with my copy of the game.

Walked through final battle no problems, just charged straight in "swords a swingin" after a haste, prayer, recitation and a couple of Summon spells.

Put the red guy & the golems down with loss of only 1 party member, who was then restored to life from a scroll, BUT thats it .... no final movie, no way out of room, whats going on??????

Also why the hell can't my thief disable any of the traps in the final room?

13. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] There has been some topics on this earlier. If you do some searching here, you should find it.

14. Linael Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I could'nt finish the final fight without losing people, my party was too magic-based and the end-boss was pretty resistant.
    Yup... I suck.

15. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

Probably not, Linael. I must admit I had played Heart of Winter, and I think the extra levels I got there was a lot of help during the final battle. But anyway, it was too easy.

16. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Now don't get me wrong i loved the game and sill do......but that endng cinematic was so cliche and predictible it was horrendus. the green eyes...the laugh? pleeeeaaassee.

17. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

Come on! They just reeeealy wants us to believe there will be a Icewind Dale 2. They just had to make it obvious ;).

18. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Took me 2 attempts to win it, and I only reloaded to cast the haste and protections after having them dispelled rether than before entering.

For some reason everone in there seemed hellbent on cutting down my Mage, so he just ran around a like the hare at a grayhound track, with all the nasties in tow being cut down by my fighters.

A little too easy I'd have to agree, compared to the problems I had at the end of BG1. Still quality fun game tho'!

19. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

I also had to do it twice, before I realized where the traps were. They were the scariest things in there.

20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yep, bellafikal(sp?) was lousy. I finished him on insane heart of fury mode. Yxunomei, tougher? Not for me. Personally, I had a tougher time in the room with the high archer. Or with Malavon, but not really. The ending was pretty good, but it seemed to much like a ripoff of Diablo2's Bhaal ending. Now THAT was an ending. Best I've seen thus far, just like the Sarevok intro in BG1... they should drop the damn "reading the book" motif that they've adopted, neh?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.