1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

DII Co-op Newbie

Discussion in 'Diablo 1 & 2' started by ion, May 7, 2010.

1. ion Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

My work is doing 5 player co-op through DII starting this Friday afternoon.

Any suggestions on a player class that is newb friendly, powerful, and would work well in a group of DII vets?

2. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

necro with skelletons.

very easy and fun to play, and your curses will really make a difference.

are you playing untwinked? only using the items you find in game?

3. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Second vote for summoner Necro. As soon as you guys get over the hurdle called Diablo, it'll be smooth sailing from there on.

Important things to max ASAP: Raise Skeleton, Skeleton Mastery and later Corpse Explosion. One point in Amplify Damage and Summon Resist and you're rocking.

4. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i would actually say, a few more points in Amp. and take corpse explosion later on, as i think the other characters (if they are melee) would prefer the more monsters getting amped, and it will be very tedious with just 1 point in amp. early on

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I would just make sure you all play different classes. If no one else has any desire to play a necromancer though, it is a very solid choice, and will definitely be a big help to the party in the early going.

If you go that route, I agree with Rechet's comments. With just a single point in Amplify Damage, it won't have a large radius of effect, but it usually doesn't take too long to get a hold of a wand with +1-3 Amplify Damage (you can buy one from Akara). Also, the necromancer heads can also spawn with +skills on them, including Amplify Damage (unfortunately, you cannot purchase these - they must be found) so I too would recommend just a single point in that skill. Remember that a necromancer should never enter melee combat, so the things you are looking for on both the weapon and the shield are +skills. Once you get your hands on some +skill items, which like I said shouldn't take long, you'll find a single point is often plenty.

Having said that, with the 1.13 patch, it is now possible to reset skills meaning if you find the going too hard with just a point in Amp, you won't cripple your character too badly if you spend a little more there early on. But keep in mind that for most of the creatures in the early going, your party won't need you to cast amp at all. They will appreciate it against boss packs, and obviously, act bosses, but in those situations, the small radius isn't much of a hinderance, as they are all clustered together (or in the case of Act bosses, you cast it directly on them).

As for party composition, I would highly recommend one of each of the following: Barbarian (tank, and party buffs), Paladin (auras benefit everyone), necromancer (for reasons already stated), sorceress (elemental damage), amazon (missile support). Nothing wrong with druids or assassins though - if someone wants to play one of them, you can easily sub out one of these options. If you all play something different, it's hard to NOT have a balanced party.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.