1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Did I screw up with Valen? (HotU spoilers maybe?)

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Paine, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Paine Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I just started Chapter 2 and I met Valen, whom I promptly took with me 'cause I promptly came down with a case of Tiefling Fever (my last official RPG boyfriends were Anomen and Aarin Gend, can you frelling blame me? :p ). My question is when exactly can I start smooth talking him? He seems to be the strong, silent type--well actually he's ignoring me altogether. :wail: Could it be because I also took Nathyrra with me? I've had a couple of interjections from her already (you know, when a henchman stops and asks "Can we talk?" or something). So far Valen hasn't said anything at all, except when I took the quest from the Maeviir daughter to kill the Matron Mother, and then he only chimed in after Nathyrra said something. Also Valen and Nathyrra had a little chat without me after the ferry guy took me to the island with the Avariel town and I kinda got all Wendy Testaburger on her ("Stay away from my tiefling, *****!"). :p

Should I drop Nathyrra's ass back in the temple or can I romance Valen with her in the group? Can I even romance him at all? (I am a Chaotic Good female elven Ranger/Cleric/Champion of Torm with 14+ int wis & cha if that makes a difference) I guess I'm kinda paranoid since I know how tricky/buggy these things can be sometimes. Help would be appreciated. Valen is about the only henchman I've met so far in all 3 NWN OCs that I don't want to slap the crap out of immediately (okay, not Deekin either--he cracks me up).

2. netdiver Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I didnt even know you could romance characters, aside from the occasional persuasion flirt.

3. Paine Gems: 4/31

Yeah, in HotU there's one for either gender PC. Although from what I understand female PCs get shafted yet AGAIN--male PCs have a choice of two romances whereas females only have Valen (not that it's really a bad thing I guess :p ).

I actually answered my own question. Turns out I was having some dialogue weirdness in general (for some reason I was unable to get all the mirror shards in Shaori Fell 'cause the game wouldn't let me talk to the librarian). I uninstalled HotU and reinstalled and copied my saves back over and now everything seems to be ok. Weird.

4. netdiver Gems: 1/31

I require this romance. As if I don't ignore my friends enough already.

5. Paine Gems: 4/31

Hee. Well I'm at the beginning of chapter 3 now and Valen and I have hooked up. He hasn't made an interjection since then, but when I click on him to talk he says "Yes, my love?" instead of "I am yours to command" (hee!) Unfortunately, the romance itself isn't nearly as long or involved as the ones in BG2 (probably because the HotU is much shorter and they don't have as much time) but Bioware is pushing all my squealy fangirl buttons--gorgeous otherworldly warrior with a tortured past who's hurting inside. I can feel Bioware's manipulations but I just don't care. I actually feel pretty guilty about it, since this PC was also Solaufein's one true love in BG2 (love that mod). Kinda feel like I'm cheating on him, LOL. I still have a little ways to go in the game yet but it's looking like the romance thing might have some bearing on the endgame due to the plethora of anvils being dropped right now. We'll see.

It's actually pretty easy to hook up with Valen, my initial paranoia was completely unfounded. All you really have to do is flirt with him when the opportunity presents itself (which is obvious), and listen with a kind ear. The "wrong" dialogue options are painfully obvious unless you're a complete idiot in social situations. Even though you get less XP, if you like the RP, take Nathyrra along with you and Valen 'cause there's one dialogue he has with her that's pretty hilarious. Something about his tail. ;)

6. netdiver Gems: 1/31

Once i get through the original campaign, and then SoU, I will have to purchase HotU just to see this romance thing

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.