1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Diablo

Discussion in 'Diablo 1 & 2' started by AlexGK, Nov 28, 2002.

1. AlexGK Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Seen that somebody started a Heroes of might and magic topic I like to do the same about Diablo series :D Do you fans of D&D like them?

2. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I played the first one but did not care for it much. Not enough story or roleplaying. It was fun for what it was, but I would rather play more story/character driven games.

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

The first Diablo was good. I read the story in the manual, and it was very involving.

But the story did not manifest itself in the game. You picked up on bits and pieces of it, but the history and followthrough just wasn't there.

This alone made it a poor "RPG".

It really ended up being hack and slash. Sure, there were some options to the hacking and slashing.

But there just wasn't a story. There was half a story. And you had to fill in the other half with unique items and magic spells.

It has it's place. And it was a neat game. Even Diablo2 was neat.

Just not involving.

4. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Agreed, although I think that wasn't the intention of the makers.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Diablo 1 was cool. Nice unique items to find that you really thought were something when you found them. And an exceptionally good manual with great drawings and a detailed story and background.

Diablo 2 was the bastard son of Diablo 1. The only thing it had left of its original were hordes of monsters (but now totally uninspired and leaving no unique items), and graphics that somehow managed to look *worse* than in the original Diablo. Manual looked like something slapped together in an hour. (I suppose they thought that the hordes of munchkins that are their target base don't read the manuals anyway...)

All in all, dumbed down and not worth playing in single player. You can't even complete any of the unique sets until you play it online. And get no unique items. For someone who first plays the single player game and only then goes to multiplayer, this killed my desire to even try it online. I played Diablo 2 till chapter 2, then left it on a shelf for a year, and then forced myself to finish it since, after all, I paid for it. But I was really forcing myself, because I had absolutely no desire to play it.

6. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I must say that the story in the world of diablo is smashing. But as said it doesn't manifest in the game, which is a real shame :/

Personally it can be a good to fall asleep in, just play till you drop (literally) then wake up sometime later :D

7. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Diablo 2 is an awesome LAN game though. But that's the only time I ever play it.

8. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I spent a fair amount of time with Diablo 1 single player (this was before I had an internet connection).

I played a good bit of Diablo 2 when it came out. I finished the single player game. Most of the cutscenes that play between chapters were pretty cool. But not much explanation or reason is behind the quests, making it a hack and slash game primarily.

I didn't think I'd play it again, but I was bored one day and started a multiplayer game. It was really a lot of fun. The classes are diverse and have interesting abilities. I am into arcade games, and it had a lot of arcade elements, plus a few RPG-like character developing thrown in.

The fact that there are so many different items, the way the game gets harder when more people join, figuring out how to build my characters, and the thrill of questing with a bunch of people were the draws for me.

I also picked up the expansion pack when it came out, and that added enough to the game to make it worth playing again for a while.

Flaws: Not enough quests (I'm not going to get into the weak story since it's more of a hack and slash), idiots ruining the game with duping, hacking, and other stunts, gets boring after a while due to the limited number of areas.

The bottom line is: I got my money's worth out of the game. And I eventually wound up selling Diablo 2 and the expansion pack for about half of what I paid for it, which isn't bad at all. Recently I found myself kinda wishing I hadn't sold it, since I haven't found a decent online game to replace it with.
    I know a lot of people on this board criticize it for being too "arcadey", and not being a "true RPG", but Diablo was never intended to be an RPG. I like the RPG's, especially Baldur's Gate series and the Fallout series, but don't see why I have to choose between the two styles. Diablo rules! Baldur's Gate rules! Fallout rules!

9. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Diablo was great. Diablo 2 had many faults, and many good things. Honestly, they MUST have been smoking crack.

"Heh, heh, lets make 'em have to quit to save... *sniff* ahhh....."

But still, I once had a few poison charms, and my Necromancer was dealing thousands of damage with each hit! :shake:

10. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

Most hated think for me was one hit - character Death.....

[ November 30, 2002, 01:48: Message edited by: AlexGK ]

11. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I played Diablo I a lot, on several LAN parties and over BattleNET, also when Hellfire came out, but Diablo II, ugh, graphic is worse, i agree, but the engine is awful, when i played with my Necro, it often slowed when i raised many minions, but still i played it a lot, there is something in both Diablo-s i can't explain, simplicity and sense of advancing, actually doing some progress even if you kill even one enemy (but it is a game, i agree). BTW, from my experiences in Diablo I BattleNET i saw it as free Mass- Multplayer RPG and that is only thing it has in common with RPG (there are other similarities of course)

12. Atreides Gems: 7/31

I wasn't too impressed with Diablo 2 but I snagged the expansion thinking "what the hell?" The expansion made the game much more playable (increased stash size and other changes.) For a hack and slash game it's probably one of the best, and I play it when I want to go on a killing spree.

13. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

For hack and slash it's definetly the best.Only Diablo 1 is close :D

[ December 04, 2002, 14:37: Message edited by: AlexGK ]

14. Ray192 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I hate it to death, too boring.

15. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

One way to describe it deffinetly :D I've finished it once on normal level and never started it again.But my brother still plays it he has about 89 lvl clean sorcerer.He just loves it, why I can't say :confused:

16. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

It's a fun, mindless game...in both incarnations. The original was a great deal better though, with a cool eerie setting and story. Diablo II never captured that feeling of the first one.

I beat the first Diablo. When Hellfire came out, I got that and rebeat the game.

I don't believe I ever beat Diablo II and I haven't (and most likely won't) buy Lord of Destruction. The multiplayer can be pretty cool, but it's too lacking in depth to ever hold my attention for more than a week or two.

Come to think of it, I think it may be time to dust off the second one and finally beat it. I can't have an unfinished game on my conscience, now can I? ;)

17. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Diablo is great, especially Diablo 2.
    If i want to make game, i will make games like Diablo 2, which can manipulate the player and his/her real life world. And i can just sit back and laugh at how insanely stupid people can be. If you've played closed Battle net games, you'll know that people sell extra ordianry equipment online for real money. If you go to ebay now and look for Diablo 2, be amazed by the auctions for these equipments. i mean come on, these are essentially 01010101 information stored in a server, it will disappeared once the plug is pulled, it is virtually virtual. On the other hand, the people that are selling these virtual items for real money are simply brilliant.

18. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Don't mean to knock Tal, but I think Diablo II was a great game, and the unique items, particularily the set items, and the class-specific items from the Lord of Destruction expansion set kicked serious ass.

19. Keihdra Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I played Diablo and thought it was the best game ever until I was introduced to Baldur's Gate. Who could go back to the simple hack and slash of Diablo after all the story in Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. Diablo was fun, but it doesn't even compare to the others.

20. Eilonwy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Same here Keihdra (sp??)
    I loved it at first, but when I got BG2 I loved that one. Then, of course, I had to teach my friend the game and now she loves it and wanna play it all the time.
    It gets kinda boring after you have played it through a couple o times...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.