1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Diablo 3?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 & 4' started by Death Rabbit, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

I haven't heard anything about this, but I was hoping there were rumors floating about somewhere about a possible Diablo 3 - which I would love to see - is under development. The Blizzard site seems obsessed with the incredibly sh*tty Warcraft III* and says little of their future projects. So is there anything going on? Even planned?

*My opinion only - Warcraft purists needn't waste their time flaming me.

Any help or information on the subject is appreciated.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I would love to see a D3. IMO, the Warcraft games peaked with Starcraft. I have played WCIII, but I don't like the "resurrecting hero" concept. I liked it when you had missions where you had to keep person/unit X alive, so that the storyline would continue. Like I said, I think they peaked with Starcraft, and I can honestly say that I do not think WCIII was a great improvement over SC.

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Blizzard should take a cue from (the Devil!) Microsoft, because Age of Mythology is probably the prettiest, smartest, most playable and well thought out RTS game there is IMO, especially amongst those with a 3-D engine. Warcraft III just sucked. Downright uplayable, if you ask me. And yet another reason to completely write off PC Gamer magazine as bribed ratings whores, because they gave it a stellar review (like many big-budget, over-rated games they fellate to drive up sales).

Anyway, Diablo 3...

I just think D2 was a really fun and interesting game. Sure, it's pure hack and slash - but I get tired of thinking in games sometimes. Sometimes I just want to blindly kick ass and accumulate cool new stuff. D2, and even the first Diablo, gives you a healthy heapin' helpin' of just that. I really do hope they come out with a new one, with more classes, a bigger world, etc.

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Actually, while I really enjoyed the original Diablo, I got bored quickly with D2. Maybe it's because I only played single-player, or maybe it's because I felt I had to complete all 3 difficulty levels for a character to max out the character build. I finished a warrior, and got through 2 Act 1 of Hell difficulty with a necromancer, then got bored, left, and never went back. To me, D1 had much better atmosphere; I preferred the somewhat-randomness of the quests; and while I know many people feel otherwise, in hack-and-slash games such as these, I liked the fact that D1 was a shorter game than D2.

Having said that, if there was a D3, I'd probably check it out anyway.

5. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Diablo 3 probably won't happen. Wasn't Diablo's soul destroyed at the end? Mephisto's soul was destroyed too, and Baal was killed in Lord of Destruction expansion. All the three Prime Evils destroyed.

A Diablo game can't exist without a Diablo in it.

6. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Who cares about diablo the bad guy!?

I dont give one little poo who the bad guy is, as long as it has the atmosphere of the previous games. The pure powerplaying with absolutely no choice over your actions in any way, totaly linear game, the direct opposite to BG, only piling up more and more powerful items and stats, so, Who Doesnt Like It?
    ;)

7. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Given the creativity that Blizzard has shown somewhat from time to time I think they just might be able to pull off a D3... But unfortunately Starcraft 2 must come first, so its going to have to be a long wait.

8. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Don't worry about Diablo, fellas...the ending to the D2 expansion pack strongly suggested that D3's bad guy will be Tyrael.

You heard it here first!

9. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I don't think Warcraft 3 is that good either; those cartoonish graphics have never appealed me, even though the consept of night elves and others is good. Also, there simply isn't enough change or strategy for my liking.

As to Diablo 3, why not? I still play D2, even though it IS kinda repetitive. If D3 had the currently missing elements of detailed graphics and sounds, smooth gameplay and in-game story, plus a whole lot more of teamplay on Battle.net, then I would definitely buy it.

Anyway, hope they are making it (not SCREWING it :p ) -it's a strong brand, so it's quite likely we will see a sequel.

10. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I have heard very few rumors and I can't remember where I heard it from, but they are out there.

Diablo 3 is supposed to be 100% 3D (yay)
    Will be more RPG orientated.
    and the last thing I heard was that it'll be a completely new engine.

I liked WarCraft III.

11. Woodwyrm Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I hope Blizzard will make StarCraft 2 first.

Though i have nothing against a Diablo III, 3-D... mmmmm, 3-D :D

12. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

If I didn't add my WC3 opinion in here, I'd have to kill myself.

For me, the biggest point of playing WarCraft 3's campaigns was to reveal the story. IMO, WarCraft has the best storyline I've ever seen in a non-RPG game (StarCraft comes close, but since WC has 3 games and an upcoming 4th, it fits more in). I found myself cheating through nearly half the levels just to discover what came next more quickly. (perhaps an important note here is that I am not very good at RTS games)

After the campaigns, I delved into the user-made maps of Battle.net, and some of the maps out there are amazing. For those of you taking a strong anti-WC3 stance (and as for the main, RTS portion of the game, I don't blame you), log onto Battle.net and try some "custom games". If you find some good ones (it may take a while, there are MANY crappy maps out there) you'll spend hours on them before you know what's going on. My opinion of people went up significantly on seeing the kinds of things gamers can pump out with a great map editor.

EDIT: In a feeble attempt to stay on-topic, I would really love to see a Diablo III. However, I'd MUCH rather see StarCraft II first. I love the world of StarCraft, story-wise, almost as much as I do WarCraft, and I'm just impatient for a sequel to what is, if I'm not mistaken, the best-selling RTS game ever. I could be wrong, but I think it was...

13. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

yeh i would love to see a diablo 3.

Diablo and his brothers are only trapped in an abyss, after there essences were released from their soulstones when they were destroyed.

plus the exact effects of Tyrael destorying the worldstone are unknown. so the ending is a little more open that it may first appear to be.

i guess what im trying to say is if there is a third Diablo game regardless of the story (although having a great sotry would be nice) ill play it be it a sequel to Diablo II or a prequel to Diablo, set during the Sin War or whatever.

www.diablo3.com (a diablo fansite)

I would also like to see a Starcraft II, and not that SC Ghost game that is on hold or whatever.
    www.starcrafttwo.com (a starcraft fansite)

14. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I highly doubt D3 will happen. The reason for this is that Bill Roaper and the boys from Blizzard that made Diablo and D2 left to form Flagship studious. Basically, if you crave a D3, pick up HellGate:London when it comes out, i certainly will.

15. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I didn't like Diablo, the world or the storyline. Gameplay was a clickfest, I fail to see how a small, unguarded village could exist in a world surrounded by nasty things and the whole one hero steps up to challenge all the evils in the world is just too far fetched.

Action-RPG-Clickfest. Boring.

I never had the desire to purchase the DII Expansion so I have no idea what happens to the storyline after you defeat Diablo (again).

I found the Warcraft and Starcraft storylines to be far more 'believeable' if not logical. The Warcraft III gameplay wasn't too good but it's all about the storyline. And Jhonka is right about the player-made maps, especially DotA (Defense of the Ancients) Maps. Great fun to be had against other players.

16. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Please, Blizzard, Make Diablo III a reality!

I did like Warcraft III, and if I had High speed and steady money, I'd try WOW, but I loved the mindless murderous mayhem that came with Diablo II...

17. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

warcraft is great, but i prefer diablo (and starcraft).

cant hardly wait for Diablo III and Starcraft II (should they ever be made of course, and i hope they are)

18. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The diablo games never really hooked me to be honest. Too much hack and slash for my taste. But they did have a great story I noticed. The cutscenes in diablo 2 was really really good too.

19. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

When Diablo passed through the gate which led him to hell he has foreseen his end and slept with a female demon there. Now his son is coming from Hell to avenge his father and to take over the world. :p

Seriously, if Blizzard uses(steals) the Bhaalspawn concept of BG they don't need Mr. D. himself. His sons and daughters can do the job.

20. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I agree with Abomination Diablo I and II were only clicking festival and maximising stats, BOOOooorrriiinnng. After twenty minute of clicking on a monster and see it die you've seen them all.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.