1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dexter Season 6

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Dice, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Any Dexter fans out there? I've loved the series since the beginning and am always amazed how each season is a good as the others. Since the season already finished last month I think you wouldn't have to worry about spoilers.

2. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Dexter is great. I hope it lasts for another season or two. To be honest; I did find season 3 anf 5 to be kind of a drag. But season 2 is arguable the best season of any tv show I have ever seen.

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I'm a Dexter fanatic. I have the first 5 seasons on DVD and some weekends I just marathon through one.

Season 6 had some sweet ideas in it. Being a religious person, I found some of the assertions therein to be extremely offensive, and the criticisms derived from highly contrived situations. But Hanks Jr. was an excellent antagonist, and I enjoyed seeing fellow Canadian Molly Parker as well. Not too sure I'm comfortable with Debra's new piece of self discovery (eww!) but at least they ascribed that to psychoanalysis and not religion as well.

I think we are seeing Dexter (the character) commence a downward spiral -- as they would say in Criminal Minds, he's devolving.

4. Dice

Media:
    One thing I love about Dexter is the special guests that they bring in each season. I have to say John Lithgow was one of my favorites. I'm so used to see him playing funny characters that it really gave him a lot of dynamic playing a psychotic.

Colin Hanks was really great this season very good sweet to creepy degradation of the character. I also have always had a fondness for Edward James Olmos who played Professor Gellar. He has played a lot of interesting roles in the past and this is just another facet. Loved the twist 2/3 way through although I was curious of what Professor Gellar was really about.

I can't help but wonder if Masukas intern Louis is going to turn out to be a serial killer as well. He sure seems to have an unhealthy fascination with Dexter. I also think that the character John Anderson reminds me a lot of James Doakes from season one and two. I always felt a little sorry of James because he was just trying to be a good cop. I can see why they had to kill him off though.

And I agree this new aspect of Debs character is really disturbing. I would say that Deb's character is the one commencing on a downward spiral more than Dex.

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As a devoted Dexter fan, I have to say I think this is easily the worst season by far. So bad it makes me doubt that the final two seasons will be any good.

SPOILER WARNING - I'M TALKING ABOUT SEASON 6 PLOT POINTS

First off, the writing is getting really sloppy. Anyone who's both seen Fight Club and isn't stupid could see the big "reveal" of this season at the end of the first episode. They telegraphed it way to hard and way too soon.

Also - I realize they need to create drama, but the Miami PD homicide division has got to be the most incompetent, unprofessional police force in the world. Thank god they got that new dude in from Chicago. He seems to be the only one who behaves like a professional, draws obvious conclusions right away, has heard of a thing called "research" and doesn't have some personal character flaw that constantly gets in the way of his job. I mean it took these dips 6 seasons to learn how to use Google, FFS.

While I'm not bothered by the Deb loves Dexter plot device on incest grounds - they aren't related, and they both well know it - I think it's just a lazy ploy by the writers to up the shock value. I can't imagine anyone responded positively to that development.

And finally, DEB. She is my absolute least favorite character on the show. When she isn't cursing up a storm - not in a cool Tarantino kind of way, but in an obnoxious 13-year old trying way too hard to sound edgy and grown up kind of way - she's huddled in a corner bawling, having a meltdown about something. I get that she's in some serious situations and is often in over her head. But you would think that after all she's been through in the last 6 years of succeeding in spite of her doubters and limitations that she'd have grown at least the beginnings of a thicker skin, let alone matured in any substantial way. She's the exact same Deb from Season 1, Episode 1. LAME.

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Jeez, DR, don't beat around the bush!

I see Deb as a seriously messed up woman as a result of her father's deal with the devil in training Dexter and neglecting her. Harry's decision to mould Dexter into a criminal killer has had far reaching negative consequences for Dexter, Deb, and many others (not the least of which Dexter's many, many victims!) She is locked in a stage of development that she simply cannot grow out of. I see that as a deliberate choice on the part of the writers. Whether it works for viewers is another question.

I have to agree about the Miami Metro Homicide division -- though I would add that the venality of LaGuerta is a toxic influence that would be well served if removed. She's a real pain in the butt, and I love the way she's written.

I will admit that season 6 had some weaker moments -- that happens when a series goes on for a while. I still ike it better than about 90% of the other viewing options out there, though.

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh, totally. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE the show. Despite its flaws. But as a fan I reserve the right to pissing and moaning and armchair scriptwriting. :D

That's an interesting point about Deb.

I also both hate and love LaGuerta.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I've seen the first 3 or 4 seasons... disturbingly good.

9. Death Rabbit

Media:
    You'll begin to notice an unmistakable downward trajectory with the appearance of Julia Stiles. :D

10. Dice

Media:
    I like the LaGuerta character. She's a b***h but she's got her soft side. I really hated the Angel/LaGuerta union however. I've never seen two actors have so little chemistry together. I'm glad they didn't drag that relationship out.

I don't have a problem with the Deb. She is the yang to Dexters yin. His polar opposite - messy, volcanic, emotional. I agree that she could keep it under control a little more now that she is in a position of authority. But then again why spoil Miami Metro's incompetence?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.