1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Discussion in 'Playground' started by joacqin, Feb 25, 2012.

1. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Steam has a special price for Deus Ex: HR this weekend and I am really tempted to get it. I have heard some amazing things about this game and if I am not completely out there a lot of the people on this board has played it. After looking into the game it seems a lot more of an rpg than I thought but I am still afraid that it is too much of an fps for me. Not much for twitchy fps game play but learnt to appreciate first person in the Elderscroll games.

So is this game as good as it looks? Is this game an RPG with some FPS in it or an FPS with some RPG in it?

2. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Hard to tell. the reviews were great. I played the opening mission but lost interest. RPG elements are there, but I lost interest after the first level(Skyrim). It does not play like elder scrolls.

This hybrid type games walk a thin line. Most are crappy but this one not. It is not like other games.

What you might like to try if you do not get this one is Stalker call of pripyat. More FPS but not with the speed of mainstream shooters.

I say 60/40 to yes, based more on hearsay and witnessed potential than playing myself.

3. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

You do not have to kill anyone except in the mandatory boss fights (Typhoon Explosive System FTW). So it is not much of a shooter unless you want it to be. I would definitely get it, one of the best games of 2011.

4. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Well worth buying. I've been playing it for a little while and I think it's really good.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I bought it, 16€ seems like good value.

6. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It's definitely a game worth getting. It's not without it's flaws, but overall it's a pretty damn fun game.

Like the original, there's usually multiple ways to get to the objective and quite often also multiple ways of dealing with said objective. You can play it as a shooter, but, also like the original, it'll be quite hard as you tend to die very easily, even on the middle difficulty. It plays better as a stealth shooter. I love stealthing around, and for that it's a very enjoyable game.

The biggest problem I have with it, is the boss fights. You may have read this elsewhere, but they are unavoidable, and there's no alternative paths - unlike the original, I might add - and if you've been stealthing around, it's quite a break with the rest of the gameplay.

The story takes a while to get started, but if you've played the original, you'll notice a few familiar names. And once it gets going it's pretty good so far.

7. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

the only thing that irritates me is that only the first of your energy cells recharges. So if you want to use anything worth using that uses energy - namely cloaking - you need to use those energy bars. And it makes the extra energy cell upgrade completely pointless since they will never recharge.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.