1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Demon Stone Character Sketches at GameSpy

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by JSBB, Sep 8, 2004.

1. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I expect a certain amount of cliches to show up in CRPGs but it really seems like they are stretching to try to fit in as many as possible here.

Why on earth would they feel a need to include studying with a hermit monk to learn self control? Sure it works in a story about Heracles but to use it for an Elven Rogue is just silly.

Come to think of it, since when is rage associated with Drow blood? Last time I checked they were ruthlessly evil in an organized societal sort of way, certainly not ogre/orc/barbarian "Hulk Smash" rage types.

At least they didn't use the old product of rape origin to explain her being half Drow, although the "found the Drow injured and nursed her back to health and so she reformed and became a good elf" story is probably equally as cliche. Somehow I have the feeling that rating concerns were responsible for selecting which cliche to use in this case.

It was hard to imagine that the other characters could match the cliche level of the Rogue's background story but the sorcerer's origin of "Daddy threw me out because I didn't become a warrior like the last 800 generations before me" is probably even more cliche.

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    GameSpy have posted character sketches for Demon Stone. Here's an excerpt from what they write about Zhai:

Growing up without a mother was hard on Zhai. And her mixed blood made everything much harder. She was never trusted. While her father was loving and kind he didn't understand how to deal with her hard-hearted nature and the rage that came along with her Drow blood. The villagers and strangers she came into contact with didn't trust her because of her Drow heritage and kept her at arms length.

All of this has made Zhai independent, secretive, and sarcastic. It has also helped make her become an exceptional rogue. Being forced to sneak everywhere to avoid the accusing looks, Zhai quickly perfected her stealth skills. She developed her fighting and acrobatic skills by studying with a hermit monk. Her father sent Zhai to him to calm the rage that burned in her.

Three words: cliche, cliche, cliche. Remind me not to buy any more Salvatore books. I know it's the roleplaying value of her chest that counts, but still.

Read the whole thing at GameSpy. Links to the other sketches are at the bottom.

[ September 09, 2004, 15:28: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

3. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Drow cause of chaos? This goes against everything I ever learned about Drow. Sure they are full of political games and treachery, but even then, Drow society is very strict and [bold] lawful [/bold]. Oh, and apparently the assumption of child of Drizz't was not far off, since she is apparently the child of Drizz't-with-boobs.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.