1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Default setting for watching a forum/thread

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by SlickRCBD, Dec 5, 2021.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    On other Xenforo powered sites, specifically Spacebattles, Sufficient Velocity, and Questionable Questing (I know, but often I'll hear there's an uncensored version of some story posted to one of the first two on QQ), there is an option to set the default option for watching a thread or forum to receive e-mails so I don't forget to click the checkbox when subscribing.

Is that option not implemented here or did I forget where it is located? I can't find it under "preferences" or "Alert preferences".

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If you want to watch an entire forum, there's a "Watch Forum" link below the Post New Thread button on the forum thread list.

As for automatically watching threads you create or reply, this is set to on by default as far as I know, so if it's not for you, you must have disabled it at some point. You can set it at https://sorcerers.net/community/account/preferences under Options:

"Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply...
    • and receive email notifications of replies"

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I think you misunderstood. I meant how to automatically check the checkboxes in the options that appear when you click on "watch forum" so it defaults to e-mail alerts.
    I had discovered that somehow I was unsubscribed from several forums and was subscribing en mass, only to get annoyed by having to keep clicking the same options over and over.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    From what I can see, there's no option to set that in either XF1 or XF2. Setting global email defaults is reserved for your own content only, not for watching entire forums. There, alerts are usually preferred over e-mails, hence only alerts being ticked by default.

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I just checked, and it's done for individual threads on 3 other xenforo forums (Spacebattles, Sufficient Velocity, and Questionable Questing), but only seems to be for forums on Sufficient Velocity. It is NOT an option to customize on TheFanfictionForum when they recently switched to Xenforo, or if it is I can't find it.
    Sorry about that, I thought all of them did it except SP, but it's only for "watch thread" not "Watch forum."

SV seems to have a few features not found on any of the other Xenforo sites. Most notably that there are more "reactions" than just "like", but I forget what other features it has that others don't. This was apparently one of them.

6. Taluntain

Media:
    Np, expanded post ratings will come with XF2 here as well.

7. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Sorry if I phrased it badly, I meant to say that I made a mistake confusing a special feature of SV with one found on all the Xenforo sites. I'm only regularly on the 5 I mentioned. I just cited the post ratings as the most visible and obvious example, all the others are more subtle such as some BBcode tags that I never use, although SB has added a few of them in the last update.

8. Taluntain

Media:
    I know, I just mentioned it because expanded post ratings is a popular addon for XF1, but in XF2 it comes stock.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.