1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Deck of Weasels! (morphed to debate on taxes/economics)

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Darkwolf, May 9, 2003.

1. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I'd like to see a deck just to see who made it on. The left will cry about free speech (speak out, and you end up on a deck of cards!) in an effort to limit the free speech of the people making this deck.

Now don't get me wrong, this deck is offensive in the extreme, and on that basis I wouldn't buy one even thought I'm a right winger, but the makers still have a right ro make the jokes they want, just as the people portrayed can say what they want.

3. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

4. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

I see it as a joke and I don't feel offended or something similar and I bet that the same applies for most of the people, who are on this deck, especially Europeans, since they are used to receive more extreme mocking in their own countries from their political opponents in the press and in tv shows. My question is what would happened if a "deck of warmongers" or a "deck of neonazis" (which would contain the members of the current US administration and their allies) would be released? What would be the reaction of the conservatives and of those who supported the war? Would they consider it as a joke or would they start screaming about treason and disrespect to the authorities?

5. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Darkwolf, I see your thread as invitation to post my favourite American-joke at the moment. :rolleyes: :D ;)

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just so people are clear: Yago's quote is in fact a joke and has no basis in reality.

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wow Darkwolf, that page reminded me so much about www.whitehouse.org . Are you sure that those two pages arent working together? Both are proud Republican WASP sites that promotes the right way of thinking.

8. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

By "right" I trust you mean as opposed to left rather than as opposed to correct, Joacqin? ;)

9. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I would find a deck of Warmongers just as offensive -- and funny -- as I find this deck under discussion. Funny how those two things so often go together. As for Yago's joke, Yago, be careful! That joke's an antique!

10. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Joacqin,

That is offensive to the growing community of minority members of the Republican Party. :( Some of my favorite conservative Republicans are black, Clarence Thomas, JC Watts and Condalezza Rice to start with. The Democratic Party has been poorly representing interests the minorities in this country for decades, and using terms like your quote to imply that Republicans do not represent them. It was the Democrats who fought equal rights and integration in this country, not the Republicans. The fact that the Democrats have fooled poor and uneducated people in the nation to believe that Dems have their best interests at heart is nothing short of a confidence game. And that game is finally starting to unwind on them.

Newsmax.com is an admittedly right extreme wing/conservative/republican sight. I never represented it as anything else. I am not promoting it, or alleging that it has any credibility. I do not know if they are working together with whitehouse.org, but to me it looks like whitehouse.org is a leftist site, taking satirical potshots at the President. But just so everyone is clear, whitehouse.org is not affiliated in any way with the executive branch of the US government. :rolleyes:

11. Iago Gems: 24/31

Dam, but it wasn't an antique for me. It reached me pair E-mail about 2 weeks ago. :) :D ;)

feeling backwarded, not updated. Hm. Should get some friends which are not backwarded mountainers. Move to the city ? To the lowlands ? Emmigration ?

By the way, I love the last international outpost of antimaricansm worldwide. The place were antimaricanism is save, sound, sober, uncensored and uncompromisingly harsh: Jon Stewart's daily show international edition. That guy rocks.

Edit:

Darkwolf wrote:

That's right Darkwolf. But aren't you missing out on something ? In the 40's, the democrats started to change their policies and made it possible for the blacks to gain rights ? A movement spearheaded by the democrat presidents FDR (acutally, mainly his wife), Truman and finally LBJ? Who followed the line, that a change in traditional views of the democracy party was long over due. And doesn't the democratic party account for the only president which wasn't a WASP ? (JFK, even if he was a dork).

And did this change not make a lot of democrats to change their party to republican ? Most prominent, Ronald Regaen (from a North-state) and that mummy of a 100 year old ex-senator from South-Carolina (I guess) ?

[ May 09, 2003, 20:48: Message edited by: Yago ]

12. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    There are those who would argue that the Democrats, with their lowest-common-denominator style of social policy and tendency to buy votes through welfare subsidies, are actually doing minorities a great disservice andworking to reverse the cause of civil rights.

13. Iago Gems: 24/31

At Rallymama.

Now, the exact details of domestic US-plolicies are unkown to me. But I guess, if I was American, I would be like Chandos the Red a green. I don't think that the democrats are saints. I personally think they are just "Republican-light". The Republican party is in my point of view, communism for the rich and the party of big Goverment and a tax-money-waste machine. But that's just my point of view.

14. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Yago - the Demoncrats (err. . . spelling error intentional) are the "big government" party. The Republicans are the "slightly smaller government than what the Democrats want" party. Neither thrills me in the slightest.

15. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Yago,

The Republicans are believed to be for the rich because the Democrats have told that lie for so that everyone believes it. The Democrats have based that lie on the mantra that the Republicans want to reduce taxes for the rich, and not for the poor. THE POOR DO NOT PAY TAXES IN THIS COUNTRY! (not yelling at you, just yelling because this frustrates me!) The bottom 60% of wage earners in this country do not pay a dime of taxes, and the bottom 50% receiver back more than they paid in when they file at the end of the year. You can't give a tax cut to people who don't pay taxes! :toofar:

The Republicans are about responsibility. Make people responsible for themselves, let them keep more of the money they make, and let them spend or invest it how they choose. That action provides more food and resources than when the government takes it and hands it out.

The Democrats are about making people feel good. "Oh, those nasty old doctors are charging you too much, let us tax the minority of people in this county (the rich) so that the majority of you can have "free" health care (of course they know it will be just like Canada where people either die on the waiting list for things like a heart bypass or come to America where they can get it done now)", or "those nasty rich people, they take (you will never hear a Dem say that the rich earn their money, they appropriate it, but you will hear them say that the gov't "earns" its money :rolleyes: ) more resources than they deserve, so if you vote for me I will give you a $300 check, which of course the government "earned" in its revenue, (aka appropriated from the rich)"

So the under educated sheeples (cross of a sheep and a person) in this country take a small bribe, passing up the chance to have greater economic gain. Meanwhile the Republicans keep trying to do things to get the economy going so that people won't need socialized medicine and welfare checks, all the while being stabbed in the back by the very politicians who claim to "represent the people". :rolleyes:

16. Iago Gems: 24/31

At Darkwolf

I just realized, I should have avoided going more in detail about political parties in general. I should have see it coming and after the one with the mummy out out of South-Carolina should have stopped. (he, he, oof, South-Carolia was right then). As human expirience and common sense tells, discussion about parties and their politics usally go on for ages. I just want to end it like this, everything you said in the post above sounds plausible, it's you're opinion and it's fine with me. But I have one recept against right-wing parties. I try to save the economy and the free market of my own country and don't vote for them. :D :D :D

Edit: Ironacally, last time I voted for our "republican" party. The American republican party gives republicanism a bad name. :D ;)

[ May 10, 2003, 12:45: Message edited by: Yago ]

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Why is it believed that just because you like taking potshop at the American Republican party you support the American Democratic party? For me they are both unspeakably evil, the GOP is just a little more blatant about it. :p

Secondly I would say that being 'WASP' is not as much about ethnicity as it is about attitude. Rice is as WASP as you can get in my mind.

18. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Unspeakably evil?? O....K....

Someone educate me as to what WASP stands for.

19. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Darkwolf - The poor in America don't pay taxes because they don't have any money. But, let's get straight on a few things: Everyone in America pays taxes -- sales tax, state income tax, homeowners tax, tax on gasoline, etc. The poor have no way around these taxes. The good thing about it is that the rich don't either. So those are as fair as can be done with the current system.

Now, there is the fed tax, which I suppose is the tax you are referring to in your post, by your comment that "the poor don't pay taxes."
    That is one of the uses of the poor for the American conservative elite. Not only are they used as an example of what happens to those who fail to live-up to the "American dream," but they help ensure that the rich are continued to by erroneously admired by the middle-class, into which most of us fall.

While the rich are avoiding paying taxes through loop-holes and high-priced lawyers and accountants, the middle class continues to believe that the poor get the hand-outs while the rich are paying through the nose to keep America going. That is the American fairy tale.

But the rich are smart, they know that if the poor did not exsist that they would not be able to maintain the illusion of their moral status, and elite superiority to the rest of us. Thus, they also make them their "clients."
    While most average families are trying to maintain a decent existence, the rich are busy with charity affairs, which they then hold up to show us their "benevolent" nature.

As to your comment that the republicans are the party of "responsiblity," I agree: they are responsible to the pharmaceutical, insurance, big oil compaines, large banks, etc. That is where the real welfare action in America resides. The conservative movement has come to its fruiation when they are giving hand-outs to this pack of scoundrels. Whether it is keeping wages low, to keep the poor as they are, or they are subsidizing phoney new contracts with the fat cats, the conservatives are keeping the American dream a reality for those who benefit from it the most -- the rich.

20. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] I don't feel like arguing with the above post at the moment, and I'm sure that Darkwolf will do a fine job of responding, so I'll just drop this in:

Isn't becoming rich and free and happy the American dream? Rags to riches -- O. Henry and all that. Why do we resent the ones who succeeded?

Reminds me of a joke I heard once. If the details are a little off, well, I don't remember it that well, but the point is still the same.

An Englishman, a Frenchman, and a Russian were walking together along a deserted beach when they found a bottle lying in the sand. When they pulled the top off, a genie appeared. "I can only grant three wishes, so each of you will get one," he told them. The Englishman replied, "I wish I was richer than everyone else." The Frenchman said, "I wish I had more women than any of my friends." The Russian thought for awhile, and then said, "I am poor; I have no cow. I wish my neighbor's cow was dead."

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.