1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Deathsong

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Macready, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Macready Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Hello -

*plot spoilers within*

I did the Xzar/Montaron quest in the Harper building last night, and knowing from having played before that I was being duped by the Harpers, I decided to give myself the last laugh by killing the spectral harpists while I was inside. The thought of them smugly returning from the Xzar business only to find their guardians gone brought a smile to my face. :)

Anyway, I moved to the far corner of the room, lit up their little section with Farsight, sent in a Mordenkainen's Sword, and started reading the Daily Athkatlan...business as usual. But one of the spectral harpists cast "Death Song" at the sword. Whatever it was, it had an area effect, as the text window indicated that I had made a saving throw, and I started running around in a panic (with that little thing over my head as if someone had cast Horror at me).

Luckily, the sword lasted long enough to kill two of the three harpists, and kept the third busy long enough for the panic to wear off. But I can't help feeling that was a very near miss...I'm attempting to win the game with no deaths (and I've been playing this character since he was a little 5 HP weakling in Candlekeep), so the thought that I may have almost bought the farm is sobering.

Does anyone know what "Death Song" does to someone who fails the saving throw? I'm assuming it has a Wail of the Banshee type effect (AE death), but I'm looking for confirmation. Thanks.

[ December 13, 2004, 17:04: Message edited by: Macready ]

2. Lord Garak Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Nver heard of that spell but I'll look it up. Will answer you if I find anything(and if I remember to) ;)

3. Laertis Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'm almost certain that such spell doesn't exist. But maybe Lord Garak will give us some proofs. Or not.

4. Macready Gems: 6/31

Hi -

A few tidbits:

* It definitely exists.

* It may have been spelled "Deathsong" rather than "Death Song."

* It may be an innate ability (as opposed to a spell) because it seemed to just happen. I saw no casting taking place. In my earlier post I probably should have said it was used on me (instead of saying it was cast at me).

Thanks for anything you might find. Obviously this isn't a huge deal -- I was just curious to find out if that little scrape was as close a call as it seemed.

5. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

It wouldn't surprise me if something like that DID exist. Poring through the games' innards, I've seen stuff like Rapture of the Father...with the spell description saying Finger of Death Ignore Resistance No Save!!! :eek: :eek: Would'nt mind that as even a lvl 9 spell... :D

6. Lord Garak Gems: 7/31

Well I didn't find any Death Song spell but I did find something similar. Finger of Death in Icewind Dale 2.
    Here's the description:
    The caster utters the finger of death incantation, points his index finger at the creature to be slain, and unless the victim makes a Fortitude save, the victim dies instantly.Even if the save is succesful, however, the brush with death stil inflicts 3d6+1 point/level of damage.Characters slain by Finger of Death cannot be resurrected - they are gone forever.
    Level:Drd 8,Sor/Wiz 7
    Range: Sight of Caster
    Duration: Permanent
    Casting Time: 5
    Area of Effect: 1 creature
    Sving Throw: Fortitude partial
    If Death Song is similar to this... well... you came pretty close to death :mommy: .
    Tymora was with you.LoL
    Yes I know you were runing around in circles in panic, that could be because of the brush with death.
    It's a thought.

7. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

Perhaps the song is merely a special ability of the spectral harpers, theres a chance that at least one of them is a bard.

8. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Finger of Death is also in BG2

Finger of Death in BG2 is lvl 7 spell which does 2d8+1 dmg on a successful save and death at a failing save. Save is Vs Spells at -2

However I found the spell Deathsong:
    It is effectively a horror spell. Which fits to what happened to you when you encountered it. It also grants the spectral harpist an immunity to enchantment and gives the harpist a bonus to damage (15)

So it isn't like finger of death, but from the name perhaps it should be. I guess it would fit from the point that the characters are scared they will die and the attacker does more damage to them, though.

9. Macready Gems: 6/31

Hello -

@8people: Thanks! I was actually just coming here to post the same thing. I remembered that I had downloaded NearInfinity recently to follow someone's instructions on how to fix a couple of nasty endgame glitches in Tutu, so I used the ShadowKeeper spell browser to locate Deathsong's file (Innate Level 0, SPIN921.SPL) and had a look.

I don't understand much about the engine, but NearInfinity has a screen which listed the effects you mentioned pretty clearly. The only thing I don't get is that it looked like I had made my save! Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you fail a save, you don't see the save roll in the feedback window, right? But if you do make the save, you see something like "Macready Save vs. Spell (4)" (or something like that). I did in fact see the save message, but I was panicked all the same.

Ah well. Thanks for taking the trouble. I'm still kicking myself for not applying a Resist Fear before I started. It's a mistake I make often.

10. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] If the window shows failures it will also show successful saves. you can turn it on or off in the options iirc.

I've gotten into the habit of having every caster in my party memorise one resist fear or similar and cast it all the time :D

11. Greystar Gems: 7/31

That spell only increases the damage and magic resistance of the caster, and horrifies enemies for 60 second (1 turn), plus some other visual effects, so don't worry much about it.

Edit: Oops, 8people got it before me.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.