1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Deathbringer Assault

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Chickavalier, May 10, 2005.

1. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

2. Elwyn De'Liam Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

once in a while sarevok's attack does ~200 damage. it's called deathbringer assault...

3. The_Swordalizer Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

It ROXOR's big time. I think maybe Ascension makes Sarevok's Sword of Chaos make it more likely or sumthin?

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I do not use him but I saw it on a friend's game. Sarevok laughs evilly and it does somehow about 200 damage on a single hit! AND no, it is not a critical hit. Though I don't know when or better, HOW he does this?

5. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

iirc there's 5% for a Deathbringer Assault everytime he hits. It does normal damage + 200 extra.

Packs quite a punch :p

6. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Used with Whirlwind/Greater Whirlwind with it, slaughter! :D

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Here's a question - could a critical hit STACK with a death bringer assault, or are they mutually exclusive?

8. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I've never seen both at once, at least.

9. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

@ Aldeth:

I believe the answer to your question is no: the normal damage is applied first and separately, so on a critical hit it is only that which doubles. Were it to be a Deathbringer Assault simultaneously, the extra 200 points worth would be applied after the normal damage, and would not be subject to the 2x multiplier.

Check the feedback window when he lands one; it'll say "Sarevok does x damage to Random" on one line, followed by "Sarevok does 200 damage to Random" on the next.

Still, if Gothmog's right about 5% chance of Deathbringer Assault, that gives a 1 in 400 chance of landing a simultaneous Critical / DA on the next swing, which is pretty slim odds of them being coincident, even if they stacked.

10. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I dual-classed Sarevok to a Thief once...he backstabbed with Celestial Fury +3, got a critical hit AND a Deathbringer Assault...CARNAGE!!! :D

His backstab hit for like 150 damage, plus 200 or so damage extra.

How cool is Sarevok?

11. LeFleur Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@ Faraaz:

Heh that ends the whole sorcerer vs every other class with one single hit :D

12. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    What damage type is the assault? There are some monsters for which it can do less than 50 damage, IIRC.

13. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

you can use abillity which makes attacks always crit...
    And I never use Sarevok but I've seen him ALWAYS doing 200 damage......

[ May 11, 2005, 15:06: Message edited by: Chickavalier ]

14. Winterine Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Sarevok is bloody awesome! :D :D :D

@SI: I've seen that too. I think with creatures that need 3 or 4+ weapons, his Deathbringer Assault does the lesser damage. But hey, it's still a lot *grins* I can't remember what type of damage it is for sure, but I think it's slashing, so if that's the case, perhaps those creatures have resistances to slashing damage.

15. Hyperion Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I think the type of damage depends on the weapon he wields at that time. Not sure about it though.

16. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

It really is too bad you can't get Sarevok until so late in the game. The last time I played Throne of Bhaal, he was striking Fire Giants dead left, right, and center. He wasted Abazigal after Anomen and Keldorn both got floored.

17. Myth Gems: 6/31

Sarevok + the ravager = Lops off heads like nobody's business :lol:

18. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Aye...however...I find that Korgan is actually a better choice than Sarevok.

He gets Berserker Rage, which has some nice immunities. He also gets 19 Con which is HEAPS useful when in big brawls.

Also, grandmastery in axes is nothing to sneeze at.

Axe of the Unyielding +5 with Crom Faeyr... :D

A fighter with 25 STR, 19 Con, 18 Dex, grandmastery AND Berserker Immunities...I find that better than just a 5% chance for 200 damage, and admittedly the COOLEST personality.

Another MAJOR advantage is that you get him right out of Chateau Irenicus, rather than 3/4th of the way through the game.

19. Myth Gems: 6/31

Yep. It is true that Korgan Bloodaxe and Edwin Odesseiron have the coolest personalities in the game. Sarevok however is not left behind - I just love the way he taunts Anomen (dunno why but I have always hated that guy) Ano says somehing like "I dunno how did you manage to crawl your way in the ranks of this group" Sarevok: "By being useful, something I am sure you know nothing of!" His gnome-skinning techniques are pretty cool too.

He may not be an universal soldier like Korgan, but he surely is a killing machine. Note that this guy has a moral breaking point of 1 (like the undead) so even in the toughest of battles you will never hear something like "Aye there'll be time for this battle another day". He is usually the only one left when everybody else hits the floor
    Plus - he is the only NPC in the game with 18/00 strenght LIKE A BLOODY OGRE! Korgan starts off with pretty low strenght (not that it matters when you get the Crom Faeyr)
    Lastly - there is simply no argument that there is no other NPC who could dish out more damage than Sarevok - I mean a DA + critical can almost knock an average dragon down in a single blow. When you improve his chance of critical he just walks around, whacks something, cries out "DIE!" and it dies - who needs finger of death :lol:

20. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

How do you improve critical hit chances? Other than the HLA and weapon style proficiencies?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.