1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Death Spell?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Isshy, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Isshy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Which enemies are able to cast Death Spell (or Death Fog) in the game?
    I've been following the 'best summons' thread and this question came to mind, but I felt it was too off topic for that thread.

PS-Does anyone cast Death Fog? I don't think I have ever seen it.

2. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I don't believe I have ever seen it, and I know that I have never cast it.

3. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Elder Orb Beholders, Dragons, some enemy mages, some Undead such as Vampires, and Liches are the
    main culprits. If you want Specific encounters that will take me sometime. Since the death spell
    instantly kill all summoned creatures within range
    , when Igo up against someone I suspect may cast
    the death spell on my summoned x creature I send a
    group of creatures summoned with a wand. this way they waste thier death spells on low level mosters and won't have death spells to cast on my Fire Elemental or Spider Spawn or Skeleton Warriors or you get the picture. As Silverstar
    said

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

^Cool, I am famous now! :roll:

Anyway, most mages will cast Death spell when they see a summon. Other critters Bassil mentioned are also quite capable of killing all of your summons.

So use Gate type spells as they are not summoned, they are 'gated.'

A shame that Deathward does not protect summons from Death spells. :(

5. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31

@ Silverstar
    we should start a Wand of Monster Summoning Cult
    :pope:

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Even though that wand is nice, summoning some monsters beforehand is even easier. Or just getting that robe that increases spellcasting speed.

IIRC, Death Fog is cast by 'wandering horrors' when they die. Might be wrong, though.

7. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

How much does a charge from a Wand of Monster Summoning cost ?

8. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Most of the Liche's in the game(not the demi-liches) can be almost religious on casting some kind of death spell at least a couple times if you let them. Usually in combination with their stun spells and such.

9. Darkstrike Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

10. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31

The way I handle a Lich with my Bard is, first I run, half way through my flight I use the Wand of Monster Summoning to summon connon fodder. I send one creature to attack the Lich and lead the others out of range of his death spell. After he cast his death spell I send the rest to attack and cast PFE. on myself. I will have to summon monsters at least two or three more times throughout the fight because he will gate a feind hence my PFE.,and I think he has banshee's wail, and summon djinn who I usually dispatch with my own death spell. Eventually he runs out of spells and then my connon fodder and I kick his ass. :p

11. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@Bassil: Have you tried this with Tactics' Improved Liches installed? I doubt that would work...

12. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31

@Faraaz, no. All my BG games are unmodded. I don't mind using this cheese tactic with my solo Bard and it would work the same if I used a prot. from undead scroll with this tactic. I am just trying to show how handy a Wand of Monster Summoning is.

13. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

@faraaz

I use my summoning wand heavily on Tactic's 'smarter than thou' liches AND mages. They fall to the trick always, wasting their ABDHWs and all other strong stuff to summons which I just keep summoning each round, provided that the monsters summoned are nearest targets. :shake: Cheesy maybe but effective!

14. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31

People can call it cheese if the want to, but the way I see it is you are using the Wand of Monster Summoning the way it was intended. That is it summons monsters to do my bidding. It doesn't matter who you are fighting they must get through you summons to get to you. the wand as I see it is a fast, effective way to restore that protective force you need after your last one was wiped out by a death spell. It beats the hell out of having your valuable fire elemental killed by a death spell and your ass kicked while trying to summon another one.

15. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Not cheesy. Cheesy is exploiting a mistake. This is tactics. Send in the fodder first, then charge; a standard tactic.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.