1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dead Men Tell No Tales [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by Caradhras, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I've been thinking about doing an evil playthrough of DAO for some time now and this is it!

I won't bother with spoiler tags and the like so consider yourself warned.

Some of you may remember my No Rest For The Wicked thread which was about an evil Jester starting with BG Tutu and which I hoped to carry over to SoA and ToB. I may get back to it some day but losing my saves twice and having two computers giving up the ghost really dampened my spirit.

Anyway, the main idea is to see how well DAO compares to the good old BG when playing a rotten, evil bastard who is as bad as they get. I was looking for a fancy title for the thread and I decided to use the title of the song I was just listening to (some good old Motorhead track).

DAO provides us with some really easy way to capture the essence of an action by pressing just one key and thus taking a nice screenshot. Since a picture is worth a thousand words I'm going to abuse this feature and avoid any unecessary walls of text.

I suffer from a chronic restarter syndrome (CRS) and I've been giving some thought about the character type which would be the most convenient for my purpose. I discarded a few origins right from the start. Human Noble doesn't allow for much evil to be done. The Dalish wasn't a strong contender either. The Mage origin could have but since I've been playing a Mage and it's been a bit boring ever since I've reached level 19 with my last character I felt that I'd try something different (the Mage has some cool evil potential though don't get me wrong). That left me with the City Elf origin and the Dwarf origins. Both Dwarf origins have really cool things going on. A Dwarf Noble has some serious possibilities evil wise and the Dwarf Commoner has this whole Carta thing going on and that is a really cool thing for a character without any qualms about doing whatever is required to survive. I actually started to create a Dwarf Commoner and I even got a name for him (Vundabar, in reference to Virman Vundabar) when I stopped and decided (chronic restarter syndrome, remember?) that a City Elf had even more potential to be a really bad character (and I mean bad in the evil sense of the word).

So here I am now with this City Elf by the name of Niago (don't let the capital N mislead you it's meant to be a direct reference to Othello and a wink at the evil Mage in BG1). A character who is going to be utterly unscrupulous, selfish and obnoxious... In other words a character who is going to be a lot of fun to play.

I'm playing with many mods so I took advantage of all these mods to give him a scarred look and a different haircut. Regarding the build I intend to play, I won't focus on the stats and the like since this thread is more about choices and consequences. I want to play this character in Awakening later on so I'll have to go for a Dexterity build instead of a Cunning build. I plan on using traps, bombs, poisons, stealing more than usual so I've decided to skip fighting abilities (let me tell you that the City Elf origin with Improved Atmosphere was really hard with such a build on the Nightmare difficulty setting).

I've decided that the scoundrel got in a scuffle as a kid and was badly disfigured by some ill tempered human thugs, making him a bitter elf who doesn't have much sympathy for anyone. Losing his mother who was a clever Rogue (and a potential Grey Warden recruit) was the worst thing that happened to him. His father proved to be a rather ineffective parent. The old man managed to gather a dowry to marry his kid but he couldn't get him to forget his mother's teachings...

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

HUMBLE BEGINNINGS (City Elf Origin)​

First let's meet with Niago the helpless level one Rogue in his shabby attire. As you can see, his face is a bit scarred and he bears the constant reminder of the wounds he suffered at the hands of common thugs.

True to his Rogue training he is not one to pass on the opportunity to get some coin despite the fact that the perspective of an arranged marriage is not particularly enticing for such a free spirited rogue like him.

Being a callous bastard doesn't mean that one shouldn't be preoccupied about one's family and Niago aptly proves this point. He also doesn't mind being rather blunt, after all if life has taught him anything it's that it's every man for himself.

That doesn't mean that beggars should be allowed to abuse his good natured disposition no matter what the circumstances are.

Confronted with human nobles on the prowl, our Rogue proves to be more careful than others who may not value life as much as he does. Soris proves helpless as usual and it is Shianni who makes a terrible mess, wasting a perfectly good mug to knock out the Arl's son.

Nesiara his bride thinks highly of herself and Niago enjoys the prospect of berating her. He knows that she doesn't have more choice than he has regarding the matter of the wedding and he sees no reason to be particularly nice to her.

All this merriment is marred by the arrival of a stranger who is none other than Duncan of the Grey Warden. Soris makes a sensible remark for once.

Anyway, the wedding begins and Nesiara is quite enthralled by her groom. Niago doesn't know why she is so thrilled, it's not like he was encouraging his bride in any way. The reluctant groom is not even wearing his wedding outfit but his everyday clothing. To Niago's utter relief, the ceremony is interrupted and the humans take the women with them. Niago knows better than to interfere. After all he had no particular interest in getting married. That doesn't prevent the thugs from knocking him out for good measure.

Regaining consciousness, Niago is told by his cousin Soris that the Alienage is in turmoil after what happened. Niago relishes the perspective of being entertained by his fellow elves.

Why is it always like this? Some swarthy looking fellow makes a suggestion which seems incredibly dangerous and everybody -even the Elder- seems to agree with him. Nobody even listens to Niago's rather eloquently phrased objection that such a rescue attempt is bound to be very dangerous.

It can't be helped. Since nobody will listen to reason, Niago and Soris have to leave for the Arl's estate. The only consolation for our Rogue is in knowing that the Arl is incredibly rich and that there must be some loot to be gained or otherwise pilfered in such an adventure. Not wasting time the cousins make their way to the Arl's estate and get inside disguised as servants. Duncan has given them some weapons. Niago had wild hopes for a real sword when he heard Duncan say that he would lend them his sword. As it turns out the borrowed sword is a very ordinary piece of metal. Niago tries his best to conceal his disappointment.

Waking up a guard to have a nice little chat is the sort of things Niago enjoys. Taking his cover very seriously he even goes as far as giving some off duty guards some special brandy. After some fighting and plundering, the two cousins make their way to the Arl's son where Shianni is being assaulted. Niago can't help thinking that there is indeed some justice as Shianni who was responsible for all this mess doesn't look so proud and begs him to rescue her. But the Arl's son makes an offer Niago can't refuse.

The coins in his pocket, Niago relishes the idea of freedom away from the Alienage. Soris has second thoughts and seems to feel bad about the deal they made with Vaughan. But Niago couldn't care less.

Back in the Alienage, Niago and Soris realize the Arl's son has double crossed them. Duncan who doesn't care that much about Soris (but it's not Niago who would blame him for that) invokes the Right of Conscription and thus shields Niago from the Arl's guards who have to content themselves with one prisoner in the person of Soris. Niago is annoyed by the loss of the gold that he received for betraying his kin but Duncan is adamant, he goes on, telling Niago how he feels about the elven Rogue.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX​

That's it for now, I hope you'll enjoy reading this as much I enjoyed typing it. Feel free to comment on my game and let me know if you think I've missed some evil opportunity (I'm trying my best to be thorough but there is always room for improvement). :evil:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  2. CelticDream

CelticDream I play well with others... others, not you Veteran

Media:
    I have a couple of questions - more about the mods at the moment than anything else (though there is one section of the origin that I am curious about). I'm also running a mod-heavy game, but was wondering what mods you used for the scars & such. Was also wondering what mod you used for Nesiara because I can't stand how she looks in the vanilla game (if she's supposed to be so hot, why is she so plain and annoying looking? At least Nelaros isn't too bad looking for a groom when playing a female city elf (though he too could use some jazzing up lol).

As far as questions about the game - it's been a very long time since I tried a male CE, so how did you get the option to give the guard poisoned brandy? I do remember that when I did the origin as a male, I never spoke with any of the NPC's in the arl's home, so didn't even know that was possible.

I do admit, I'm having fun reading of your time as an evil little snot in the game. I had a good giggle with Niago's comment to the girl when she said she didn't like the idea of being around men who hadn't seen a woman in months. I'm looking forward to hearing of more of your adventures. Who knows, I might even take your adventures and write a short story on them just for you :)

3. Caradhras

Media:
    First regarding the mods, I used Dr.DJ's Bandit Emporium for the scar on the left (I had to edit the chargenmorphcfg.xml to get it in the character creator because I didn't want to use the toolset) and Atoms Better Male Presets for the one on the right. The hair must be from one of the hair mods in the list I've posted. I could have gone for a beautiful look but I wanted him to be plain if not really ugly (no redeeming features whatsoever).

I can't say where I got the file for Nesiara, it's either from Improved Atmosphere or an earlier version of Dragon Age Redesigned (I also use a few other morph files from other mods like Ser Jory from MMs NPC Faces).

Now, regarding the poison in the brandy, you have to wear the servant's clothes with no drawn weapons and you have to get the rat poison and the brandy from the room next to the dining hall. Playing at a harder difficulty I can tell you I did not relish the idea of fighting three more guards so this was very handy.

I'm glad you liked Niago's (mis)adventures. Writing a short story would be incredibly nice. I thought about it myself but it's really time consuming to try and write it like a full story (I did something like this for my BG Tutu run which was more fleshed out and which I tried to write as some sort of diary).

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXX

"IN WAR, VICTORY. IN PEACE, VIGILANCE. IN DEATH, SACRIFICE."

Niago had no choice but to travel with Duncan to Ostagar. He would never have expected to be greeted by the King himself. Clearly the little scarred elven Rogue was moving up in the world!

Duncan himself has authorized him to wander the camp, a perfect occasion for Niago to use his finely honed talents on the purses of the soldiers and guards who would never have expected a Grey Warden to indulge in such activities.

It was easy for Niago to convince a fellow elf to part with a pricey sword destined to some noble warrior. Niago couldn't wield it but he knew it would fetch a good price for its craftsmanship was remarkable.

Growing accustomed to mingle with royalty, Niago felt comfortable enough to ask for an audience with Teyrn Loghain, the hero of Ferelden. The uncouth lout from the Alienage didn't even try to conceal his lack of interest for the impending battle.

On his way to meet the other recruits, Niago ran into a man in a cage, after a nice little chat he learned that the man possessed a certain key. Since the prisoner wasn't willing to part with it Niago simply pried it from the man's dead hands, confronting the guard with some inane explanation.

After meeting the other recruits (useless humans according to Niago), the four men went to the Wilds on a mission for Duncan. Niago and Alistair were getting along just fine although Niago took his mission rather seriously.

In the Korcari Wilds they ran into a note that promised a wish to the person who would summon a mighty spirit near some ancient Tevinter ruins. Burning with greed, Niago didn't heed the danger and the Grey Wardens had to face a terrible foe.

There were many treasures in the Wilds and Niago true to his roguish heritage was determined to get as many treasures as he could. He had no intention of sharing these treasures with anyone, not even their rightful owners.

Alas, the Grey Warden Treaties that the group had been sent to retrieve were nowhere to be found. Instead they met with a very strange woman who introduced herself as Morrigan and was willing to take them to her mother who according to her had hidden and protected the documents. Niago couldn't care less but he went anyway and strangely enough the old crone seemed to take a liking to the elf.

Back in the camp, Niago got a paltry sum for his services from the kennel master who seemed to think that Grey Warden were all charitable and selfless.

Finally the Joining could take place. Niago has been bored by the ceaseless chatter of the other recruits and he didn't mourn their passing. Unwilling as he was he knew that he had no choice in the matter. Still, Niago was lucky enough to survive the Joining and was summoned to a meeting with the King, Uldred and Loghain before the battle. Niago was proud of being asked to assist since he was told he had made quite an impression on the King when Alistair didn't attend. Niago couldn't fathom the reason why he had been singled out but he didn't mind. Getting to know people in high places didn't bother him at all. It was a welcome change after a life spent in the squalor of the Alienage in Denerim.

Niago was even more satisfied with himself when he learned that he wouldn't be in the thick of the battle but that he and Alistair would have to light up a beacon on top of a nearby tower. If Alistair didn't seem to relish the rather menial task, Niago was more than happy to be away from the bulk of the Horde. As the battle began the two Grey Wardens left the camp to reach the Tower of Ishal.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXX​

The dungeon crawling and hack and slash parts of the game don't offer much in the way of evil opportunities so I'll see if I'll skip this part or just add a few screenshots if Niago makes some snide remarks. I may try getting Alistair to disapprove for a start, that would be interesting to explore that aspect of the game. :evil:

EDIT: I wish Niago could have killed the elven messenger in Ostagar, but to do so you have to fail the Persuasion attempt. Since I have put all my points in Cunning (to boost thieving abilities) it was not possible. I'll start putting points in Dexterity now since with the Fade bonus Cunning will be in the 30 points range and that is more than enough for what I have in mind.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  4. CelticDream

Media:
    I would love to know what you did/said to make Alistair ask Niago if he were insane lol

5. Caradhras

Media:
    Just the usual, i.e. finish the dying soldier. It never fails to entertain. :)

6. CelticDream

Media:
    Ooooh... I never went that route. I always suggested to bandage him up.

7. Caradhras

Media:
    It's nice to try different things from time to time. Anyway, I've played some more and ended up giving a trinket to Alistair (he was hostile at minus 39 and he is now back at minus 29). His approval rate is probably going to go down quite a bit in the course of this game.

ESCAPE FROM OSTAGAR

Niago, Alistair and a pair of guards made their way through the tower which had been taken by the darkspawns. Before they could light the beacon they were in for a surprise as they had to face a terrible foe, an ogre. After defeating the monster and lighting up the beacon, the Grey Wardens were overrun by a slew of monsters and they lost consciousness.

Niago woke up in a hut in the wilds. Morrigan was watching over him and she told him her mother and Alistair waited for him outside. Flemeth seemed to know what they had to do. Niago pointed out that he wasn't that concerned but it was to no avail. They were in the middle of the wilds, surrounded by darkspawns and getting out of the wilds alive already appeared to be quite a feat. Flemeth offered Morrigan's services as a guide. Niago would have refused but given their situation it seemed to be the best course of action.

On their way out of the wilds, the Grey Warden and Morrigan ran into the Mabari hound that Niago had contributed to save from death from blood poisoning. Niago wasn't sure about keeping the dog but since Alistair remonstrated, the Rogue pointed out that the former Templar would have to take care of his food if he wanted the dog to accompany them. Morrigan acknowledged this decision with one of her snide remarks. Niago was already bored by his new pet and sent it to fetch something, to his surprise the dog came back with an ancient bottle. Niago decided that he had been wrong and vowed to keep that priceless dog around. A dog that could bring back ancient wine with so much ease was worth its weight in gold!

Finally reaching Lothering, the Grey Wardens were stopped by a band of bandits asking for a toll. Niago started to negotiate, confident enough in Alistair's blade and Morrigan's magic to back him up in case things went wrong. Niago eventually managed to get what he wanted and the bandits ended up dead which put an end to the ongoing negotiations.

The dog proved its use once more as he retrieved some very ancient item the like of which Niago had never seen before.

Niago found the settlement plunged into chaos and he managed to exercise his talents as a rogue despite the fact that most refugees didn't have any money. The peasants were not the kind to mess around with an armed elf accompanied by a warrior and a strange woman.

The dog found another item which this time proved disappointing. Niago scolded the hound believing that such an episode should be averted in the future. Niago was in a rotten mood when he ran into an elven family who thought that they could impose on him because he was an elf.

There was a commotion around a merchant plying his trade and a priestess accusing him of taking advantage of the situation. Niago was called upon to interfere. The Rogue sided with the merchant who offered him a more satisfying monetary incentive. The priestess was irate. Alistair remonstrated but Niago didn't care as all he wanted was a discount. The merchant gave Niago some free advice that the Rogue was eager to follow.

Prowling around the settlement, Niago noticed a large man in a cage. After a brief discussion, Niago decided to free him, if only to spite the authorities who had placed him there for his crimes. On his way to the Chantry, Niago was singled out by a mad Chasind barbarian who ran away before the Grey Warden could put his axe to the test. The Rogue managed to convince the crowd to make him a donation so they could be saved. Inside the Chantry, Niago got some information about what had happened at Ostagar and he also managed to get a reward from the Chief Templar there although his attempt to get another payment proved to be vain.

The Head of the Lothering Chantry wanted a tithe which Niago was not disposed to offer. She didn't prove amenable to persuasion and that forced Niago to negotiate. Alistair's intervention prevented the negotiations from getting out of hand and the Grey Warden received the key to the prisoner's cage. On their way out they met a knight from Redcliffe which Alistair knew. Niago hadn't been paying much attention but he eventually understood that the knight was a friend of another knight who had fallen, a victim of the toll bandits. Niago got a reward and was most satisfied.

The group made its way to the tavern where they were waylaid by a band of soldiers in the service of Teyrn Loghain. Niago received the help of a woman who claimed that the Maker had told her to help the Grey Warden. Niago didn't doubt that she was clearly out of her mind but he also felt flattered to be singled out by someone who claimed to be acting on the Maker's direct orders. Not that he was a staunch believer (or much of a believer either) but the very idea appealed to him. There were definitely some advantages in being a Grey Warden.

Once again in the muddy streets of Lothering, the dog found yet another item. This time it proved very useful but still there was no telling where the mutt could have found such a rare piece of equipment. In between two quests for the Chantry, the Irregulars and some notable citizens of the settlement, Niago endeavoured to get to know his companions better. Morrigan told him a story about Flemeth which wasn't at odds with his no nonsense attitude. Later on, he tried to find out whether or not Leliana had taken her vows with all the subtlety that he was able to muster. Unfortunately that lead her to ramble about some Orlesian fashion which was not Niago's preferred topic for a conversation. If Niago had misgivings about Leliana, she was able to convince him how unfounded his fears were. Still, he couldn't tolerate that well all her talk about religion, the Chantry, the Maker and the Chant of Light. At least in comparison Morrigan's humour was indeed refreshing. Niago had tried to ignore the fact that Alistair had been brooding about Duncan's death. The Rogue wanted to make sure that the former Templar's grief wouldn't prevent him from fulfilling his role (whatever that may be). Alistair proved more amicable on the subject of his family. Nevertheless he made it quite clear that no matter what the Blight had to be stopped. Niago didn't relish the perspective of not having much of a choice in the matter.

On their way to leave the settlement the group was attacked by a band of darkspawns and the Grey Wardens saved a Dwarf merchant who proved most grateful, so grateful that later that night they settled their camp near the Grey Warden's tents so that they could enjoy their protection. Niago was weary but he wondered if Morrigan would entertain him. He ended up having an argument about the delusive nature of love. Niago didn't care much for such emotions anyway and he had no objection to proffer regarding what the witch had said.

That's a long post. I've skipped a few bits but I should have left more stuff out. Even if I didn't mention them I did the quests in Lothering (with the exception of the poultices quest which is not about getting a reward and is definitely a good deed). I'm not sure where Niago will go next. He is now a level 7 Assassin so the world is his oyster. :evil:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  8. Caradhras

Media:

"IF ALL ELSE FAILS, GO FOR THE EYES."

Niago was now free to do as he pleased and musing about wealth and riches beyond his wildest dreams he decided to head for Orzammar, the legendary Dwarven city. Alistair wouldn't object and Niago felt more comfortable having the former Templar by his side if things went sour. The bounty hunters that awaited the Grey Wardens as they were making their way through the mountains was a perfect example of the wisdom of this decision.

The first treasure was found by the dog who proved once more how useful he could be. Niago had hoped for better rewards but he assumed that he would have to earn them. Being admitted to Orzammar given the current dispute was not as easy as expected. The Grey Wardens had to fight some of Loghain's men before being allowed in the Hall of Heroes.

Niago was eager to get to work. Niago did dabble in the nug trade to get some coins. Having grown up in an Alienage he didn't object to what could have appeared to be a menial task but one which proved incredibly easy for someone as nimble as Niago. But he wasn't going to accept just any task. Even to such a man like Niago there were some limits to what he was willing to do and the Rogue could sense that there was no money to be got from a deluded girl. His original line of work was more rewarding.

He was prompt to ask for rewards however and didn't mind taking advantage of a widow grieving for her son. Still, he had no time to waste on spreading the Chant in Orzammar.

The squalor of Dust town did remind him somehow of the Alienage but Niago was not homesick. He was willing to share his wisdom in a generous way that was rather uncharacteristic. And yet, his generosity was rather limited and Niago was savvy enough to know when to be slightly dishonest. But he also knew to please his companions especially when it meant he didn't have to pay a copper to do so.

The Diamond Quarter was everything Niago could have hoped for and there were many opportunities for a most unscrupulous elf. Still, all this wealth had to be earned and Niago could see he was not the only thief in Orzammar. The representant of Prince Bhelen proved to be as devious as Niago, something that reassured the elf who felt he had chosen the right side in this matter of succession to the throne. It was only a matter of time before Niago stumbled upon the enigmatic Carta and interrupted one of their operations.

Back on the surface, Niago relished the opportunity to get to know some of his companions better. He was thrilled to learn about Leliana's shady past. Although Niago was indeed a callous scoundrel he was rather touchy about his origins and didn't approve some of Leliana's comments.

Doing Prince Bhelen's tasks was not without its rewards, even in the Deep Roads and Niago made sure that the favours he bestowed were not unrewarded. Finally meeting Prince Bhelen was most rewarding as well (if only for the purse that Niago managed to steal from the prince when he wasn't looking). Getting some loot while exploring the Royal Palace wasn't without danger, especially for someone as curious as Niago.

Bhelen wanted the Carta leader dead and Niago went to get information from his favourite beggar. He was very serious about this task and could see no interest in showing his enemies any mercy. Killing Jarvia was a most dangerous enterprise but Niago eventually succeeded, filling his pockets from the Carta's coffers. He was now wealthy enough to make some investments and accepted to buy some lyrium from a smuggler.

Eager to make this delivery, Niago left Orzammar to get to the fabled Circle Tower. On his way he strayed quite a bit and since he wasn't far from the Brecilian forest he decided to go there to see if the stories he had learned were true. This place was said to be a refuge for the Dalish. Niago met with their Keeper who asked for his help. The Rogue could sense that there wasn't much to be gained from those tree huggers who spent their time chewing roots but he asked anyway. Dalish items could fetch a handsome price and Niago felt they could reach an agreement. Once again, Niago felt most generous providing some advice regarding their beasts. He was also rather pleased to get a Dalish girl to spend an intimate moment with him. Assuredly, Niago was not one to kiss and tell.

Travelling to the Circle was not without danger however. Niago once more proved that he knew how to handle would be assassins. Leliana's past was catching up with them. Niago would have to make sure that she wasn't going to be a liability.

Before making his way to the Tower, Niago felt inclined to have a drink. Fortunately, the elf wasn't particularly superstitious. Meeting with Greagoir the head of the Templars in the Tower proved to be a frustrating experience. Since there seemed to be no way of getting inside the tower to deliver his smuggled lyrium without getting trapped with abominations, Niago felt it was safer to let the Templars handle the situation and come back later to see if Godwynn was still around to buy his goods. Looting the tower was a rather interesting perspective but Niago had fought shades before and he knew better than to get trapped in a tower filled with screaming abominations when there were more lucrative and less hazardous opportunities for a disingenuous Rogue elsewhere...

Time to head back to Orzammar. :evil:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  9. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Somehow the name Niago makes me think parrots. :rolling:

Good stuff Cara. Refreshing to read a playthrough about the more directly "selfish" parts of the game for once. Complete with pictures too. Will there be griffons? :p

What kind of "evil" is Niago? Right now I'm seeing him as somewhere between a self-serving Neutral Evil to a violent impulse Chaotic Evil type, would be... interesting... if he also had a few Lawful Evil contract loophole->backstabbing moments.

10. Caradhras

Media:
    Parrots or Griffons? ;)

Well, I haven't given much thought to the whole thing. It shows if you look at the first post and compare it with the others, I've been shifting tenses for no reasons (which is really bad). My only excuse is that I didn't want to spend too much time typing instead of playing so I just write my posts while sorting my screenshots and to a certain extent the same principle applies to Niago's character. I make my mind as I play without following a guideline. There are a few things that I would have handled differently if I did or if I had wanted a perfect run.

Now if I had to define his alignment I'd be stuck.

I can't see him as Lawful Evil because he is always ready (almost eager) to go back on his word and he only keeps his promises when he is forced to or when he has an incentive to do so. Still, he is (was?) capable of following the orders that are dictated by an authority figure (the Elder and then Duncan). I can definitely foresee occasions for him to exploit loopholes but I don't know if he'll even bother. There is something that I like about some "evil" dialogue choices and that's this honesty largely tainted by irony (like in the last screenshot in my previous post). That's cool and I think that it made me play Niago in a rather direct way (especially when it's cruel to be frank).

Regarding the Chaotic Evil tendencies, well I can't deny that they exist. Niago preys on the weak. He is at heart a coward who's been pushed around and who is moving up and gathering allies. He believes life was unfair to him and he sees no reasons to be fair or merciful. He'd probably get along with Zevran (if he doesn't kill him first of course). Still, I don't see him as really Chaotic Evil since he cares about the recognition that he gains from his status as a Grey Warden and he wouldn't want to jeopardize that with senseless killings. For instance he didn't kill the merchant in Lothering. His murders are done with no witnesses and he manages to turn his followers into his accomplices (hence Alistair's disapproval). From his point of view it's not really murder but self defence or at least that's how he would try to justify it. But even Niago would have a hard time justifying killing the wounded soldier in the Korcari Wilds (probably his most Chaotic Evil action so far).

At core I think he is Neutral Evil which allows him some flexibility and you're right to say that he is self-serving. All his actions have ulterior motives. In the end I must say I enjoy playing outside the limitations of the alignment system. The basis of the character is to be found in the origin. You have to wonder how selfish and evil a character has to be to leave Shianni and the other elven maidens behind or to abandon Soris without the shadow of a remorse.

To quote the Sten: "either you have an enviable memory, or a pitiable life, to know nothing of regret."

11. CelticDream

Media:
    This might sound strange, but in my own way I don't really see Niago as being evil at all. I see him as having been handed a bad deal when he was younger and since he didn't have any way of really venting when stuck in the Alienage, he's finally found the opportunity to do so. If he gains riches in the process, even better, since those who live in the Alienage are known to possess virtually nothing due to the life that they are forced to live thanks to the humans that surround them. Is what he's doing right? No, not by a long-shot, but he's trying to find a way to survive in the only way he knows how - even if some of his actions come off as evil or cowardly. Does his upbringing make me feel sorry for him? Hell no! He could have taken the high road on many occasions but I don't think he knows how.

12. Caradhras

Media:
    Well, Niago is probably much different from a Maleficar whose evil is rooted in magic and lust for arcane power whereas Niago mostly yearns for gold. Still, he is certainly not a nice guy. Surviving while leaving others behind is what he is about (and that probably makes him a bit more chaotic than I intended).

"I'M NOT SAYING I SHOULD BE YOUR FIRST PICK FOR A DANCE PARTNER AT THE INAUGURAL BALL,
    BUT IN THE DEEP ROADS, I'M YOUR MAN."

Hating to leave a work unfinished, Niago made his way back to Orzammar and the Deep Roads. Adventuring there was indeed dangerous but the rewards were worth the risks. Oghren proved rather knowledgeable and so was the occasional scavenger. Niago was starting to get along with Oghren and he decided to follow his advice for a change.

Of course there were other rewards in store for Niago who was satisfied to get as much gold as he could and didn't mind that the one who gave him that gold was some sort of demonic creature.

Leaving the Deep Roads for a short while, Niago got to know Morrigan better. He didn't care much for her glibness but Niago was curious about her and didn't mind getting entertained.

Back in Orzammar, Niago asked for his reward but unfortunately he was a bit too honest when he declared that he had to put Ruck out of his misery. Truly, a good deed is never unpunished. Fortunately, other endeavours were beginning to bring in more substantial rewards and Niago still remembered how to make a living the old fashioned way.

Back in the Deep Roads, the party made its way to the Dead Trenches. As they were getting there they could sense the proximity of the Archdemon. Niago felt compelled to go forward despite his fear. His thirst for Dwarven treasures was urging him to go forward and made it forget his fears. Once again the dog proved somewhat useful. Of course that was the moment Leliana chose to make it clear that she was jealous of Morrigan.

Amidst those pleasantries and amusing diversions Niago almost lost sight of his main objective. There were many disgusting creatures in the Deep Roads but few could be compared to the Broodmother. Eventually, the Grey Wardens made their way to the Anvil. Caridin very poorly chose his arguments and failed to convince Niago. The Elf didn't care much about what new golems Branka could make and he could see no reason why he should side with the ancient Paragon. After defeating Caridin he even asked for what he deemed to be an adequate reward.

It was time to go back to the Assembly and confront the Deshyrs. Oghren made a simple declaration which proved to be to the point if anything. Lord Harrowmont made his opinion quite clear but neither he nor Bhelen could have foreseen that turn of events. Orzammar finally had its new king and Niago wasn't going to make it known just yet that the golem army would come at a steep price requiring the souls of many Dwarves... Still, as long as he got a statue in his honour, Niago really didn't care that much about what the creation of the golem army would entail.

Quite frankly I didn't foresee this last twist but it felt so in character that I had to play it that way. :evil:

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  13. Caradhras

Media:
    I haven't updated this thread since last Tuesday but I've been playing and I'm now almost at the Landsmeet so I have some ground to cover. It may be a little early to compare an evil run in DAO to one in BG but my first impressions are rather mixed so far. While DAO provides some snide comments (in the tradition of BG) and some real potential for evil actions there is a major flaw in that it doesn't make much sense for a really evil character to follow the main plot.

In BG plain survival, revenge and later on the struggle for/with the essence of Bhaal give some good reasons for an evil character to stick to the main quest. So far in DAO there are a few occasions on which I felt the absence of choice to be hard to reconcile with an evil character. Revenge may be a strong motivation, other than that what could prompt an evil character to fight the Darkspawns? Fame? Glory? Getting military power and access to wealth? It's not always that easy to reconcile heroic deeds with pure greed although the game gives some reasons for a treasure hunting, money grabbing GW to fight the Blight... At times it just feels a bit "too" heroic. In BG, the evil you fought was the evil within you; ruining the plans of the Iron Throne was just a way to get to Sarevok and claim Bhaal's essence whereas in DAO the evil is mostly to be found in the Archdemon and its minions (the Darkspawns and the Abominations). That is a very significant difference. As bad as your character is in DAO you can't deny that he will eventually save the day. In BG your character could totally embrace Bhaal's essence and become a truly evil villain/nemesis (your character has the potential to become worse than Sarevok) whereas in DAO your character is more of an antihero (Riddick in the Pitch Black movie and its sequel would be a good example).

Anyway, it's time I posted about Niago's progress fighting the Blight and Loghain's henchmen.

"YOU HAVE BROUGHT SIN TO HEAVEN
    AND DOOM UPON ALL THE WORLD."

Growing more confident after his success in the Deep Roads, Niago was seriously thinking about going back to the Circle Tower to make his delivery. After all, the unrefined lyrium he carried was potentially toxic and it would be safer to get rid of it (for a fair price that went without saying) as soon as possible. Still, there were many opportunities for Niago to get to know his companions better. The drunk Dwarf Oghren turned out not to be as stupid as he looked. Still, these moments wouldn't last and his wooing methods left much to be desired.

On the road, the Grey Wardens were attacked by a band of assassins lead by a mysterious elf named Zevran. He claimed to be working for Loghain and proved to be rather talkative for a man in his line of work. When he offered his services, Niago was first reluctant but he eventually decided that this Elf could prove useful. It was a bold move and Zevran pledged his allegiance to the Grey Warden. What was the worth of such an oath? Niago wasn't too worried, he was confident that the Crow assassin wouldn't try anything as long as he wasn't sure that he'd earned Niago's trust and that would never happen.

Before going back to the Circle Tower, Niago wanted to settle an old score. The Grey Wardens went to Denerim to find out more about the ones who were after Leliana. Niago wasn't going to let the matter rest and he skilfully convinced Leliana to confront her former mentor. Things were getting more complicated as Niago and Leliana's relationship blossomed. Niago didn't mind leading her on. Still, her jealousy was starting to get on his nerves and he accepted to give in to her demands only to annoy Morrigan who disapproved as usual. In the end Niago decided to tell Leliana how he felt about her.

Spending too much time talking idly in camp, Niago learned some very interesting facts about Zevran with whom he was starting to get along rather well (perhaps even too well). Still, Niago made it very clear that he perfectly understood Zevran's qualities.

Finally deciding to leave camp, Niago and his fellow adventurers made their way to the Circle Tower where as Niago had expected the situation was pretty much the same. Those Templars didn't seem to be eager to do anything but keep the doors so Niago was able to work some kind of agreement with Greagoir their commander. Once inside, the party ran into Wynne. Niago didn't feel that he could trust her and he convinced Alistair to follow his lead.

Fighting his way through the tower, Niago eventually found the mage Godwin. The mage proved gullible enough for Niago to make some profit while having some fun.

Niago slew numerous demons and abominations but he was also willing to avoid unecessary battles. The party was trapped in the Fade by a terrible foe and after many battles they eventually broke free. Niago however didn't have much time to waste on idle chatter with a mage who was already dead anyway. The group reached the top of the tower where they found a trapped Templar. Niago got into an argument with Zevran. Niago had meant to eliminate all mages and it wasn't something that his companions were looking forward to.

Finally in the Harrowing chamber, Niago and his companions were welcomed by Uldred and his abominations. Although the offer was tempting, Niago had to refuse. Being possessed by a demon wasn't what he would consider to be a valid career plan. In the end Alistair used the Litany to save the mage while Niago managed to give Uldred the killing blow. After dealing with Shah Wyrd, Niago reported the success of his mission to Greagoir who was most grateful although he didn't have anything to give except kind words (and Niago had no use for such words). No good deed goes unpunished.

"SO A HUMAN, AN ELF, AND A DWARF ARE WALKING DOWN A TRAIL..."

Niago had many things to do and too little time. He wasn't too eager to go back to the Brecilian forest just yet. He first went back to Dust Town to get his payment. On his way he ran into a forger who had deals with some mages of the Circle Tower. Back in the camp Niago gave Morrigan the black grimoire that he had found in Irving's study. It was Flemeth's and Morrigan was most eager to read it and find more about the old crone's secrets.

During his travels, Niago was offered a control rod for a golem that was said to be in a nearby village. It was a fair deal and Niago felt that he could have some use for a personal golem.

This gave Morrigan enough time to read Flemeth's grimoire and she had some revelations to make and once she was done she asked for Niago's help. She wanted him to kill Flemeth before she could get a chance to possess her. Niago see no reason to object and once he had made his way to Flemeth's hut in the Wilds he could see the wisdom in Flemeth's words.

When Niago discovered that the control rod or the command word for the golem didn't work he was feeling slightly irritated. Being forced to go on a rescue mission didn't really lift his spirits. Niago freed the demon by unlocking the flames that maintained it prisoner. Thus he did keep his end of the bargain and indirectly managed to save the little girl (although he didn't care much about the girl's fate at first). Awaking the golem proved to be interesting... The control rod didn't work but Shale was still willing to follow the Grey Warden in his adventures.

Niago was getting bored and as the countryside was getting infested with Darkspawns he thought it would be a good idea to travel to Denerim and see what opportunities a savvy Elf like him could exploit in the capital of Ferelden. Of course, Niago had lived most of his life there but he almost never went out of the Alienage so the city itself was unknown to him. In the streets of the crowded market district Niago was assaulted by a burly knight. Niago also learned about the fate of the Arl of Denerim. The saddest part was that he had nothing to do with it. Niago couldn't help wondering whethere the gold Vaughan had paid was still hidden in the Arl's Estate and how long it would be before Niago would get a chance to recover it...

In the meantime opportunities for work were numerous for an Elf with Niago's dispositions. Oghren's talents were put to good use as well. Stealing from nobles proved to be easy enough... And entertaining at the same time. Niago's curiosity got the better of him on more than one occasion. His willingness to accept almost any task that would get him paid lead him to form some strange associations and work for various employers. It also gave him the opportunity to visit some of the most interesting places in Denerim while still making a living picking pockets and cutting purses. In such situations his gift of gab served him well and allowed himp to form new friendships. Getting rid of Loghain's assassins who used the Pearl as their hideout was almost as enjoyable as sampling some of the particular services provided by this renowned establishment. Niago didn't mind working for the guards either. Any work was acceptable for him as long as he was paid. Working for both sides of the law, the Chantry, the Mage Collective and the Blackstone Irregulars was at times slightly confusing and Niago had a hard time keeping track of the tasks he had to do and more often than not the people he had to dispatch. Maleficars were dangerous but Niago wasn't that particular when it came to send someone to meet the Maker. He was the harbinger of tragic news, something Ignacio learned when he ceased to be of any use to the Grey Warden.

Niago's restlessness lead him back on the roads of Ferelden. He made many encounters, some were rather strange, others were dangerous but still he went on. Seeking the hidden treasures of the Grey Wardens, Niago made his way to Warden's Keep where he found the possessed form of Sophia Dryden. Niago was glad to see that Zevran was capable of appreciating his dealings with the abomination. Niago was not one to settle for a paltry reward, gold what was he had in mind. Niago did intend to keep his end of the bargain and be true to his given word.

There was still many things to do and places to explore. Niago went back to the Circle Tower to pursue an interest he cultivated for summoning sciences. Although devoid of magical abilities, Niago was curious by nature and what he lacked in intellect he clearly made up in determination.

"EVEN WITH ALL OUR MAGIC AND SKILL, WE ONLY DELAY THE INEVITABLE"

Niago felt the time had come for him to explore the dark Brecilian forest and deal with the threat that plagued the Dalish Elves and get some fine examples of Dalish craftsmanship at the same time.

His first encounter with the werewolves made quite an impression. Niago felt an immediate hatred for the furry slavering beasts. Niago didn't feel much inclined in acting the part of a nursing maid to a dying hunter and he did the humane thing... After looting the hunter's belongings and getting as much information as possible. Niago was in a rotten mood indeed and silly talking trees didn't help much. Especially trees who didn't listen to what was a fair warning.

Niago's services were once more requested by a werewolf who had just turned. He saw no reason not to be helpful. The strange wood was indeed haunted by strange creatures, none more so than the Mad Hermit who rewarded him for killing the talking tree.

Despite the fact that Niago didn't find Witherfang yet, the Grey Warden was growing weary of trampsing through the woods. Going back to the Dalish Camp, he made sure to get some rewards for his deeds including some fine items before leaving the forest.

It's on the way to Redcliffe that Alistair revealed his secret to Niago. Once in Redcliffe however things proved to be quite dire and the Grey Warden's presence was requested at the Chantry. Arl Eamon's brother Bann Teagan asked for their help. No need to say that he had no idea who he was dealing with.

The scared populace of Redcliffe wasn't of much interest and Niago resolved to try and get as much swag as he could while still managing to get far away from Redcliffe to avoid the monsters that plagued the village from dusk till dawn. Some inhabitants of Redcliffe did show some form of common sense however. Forcing a young boy to give up a family heirloom wasn't a difficult task either. It wasn't very hard either to plunder the smithy although at some point the drunk smith did object (at least for a little while). The tavern proved to be more interesting and Niago enjoyed the opportunity to have a nice friendly chat with a fellow Elf. As the hour was getting late and Niago had no intention of staying around at nightfall, he decided to leave the village to its fate.

Niago hadn't forgotten about the werewolves and he intended to kill them all. The adventurers made their way to the heart of the Brecilian Forest where they'd face their foes in an ancient Elven ruin. The ruins proved to be haunted by Elven spirits but Niago didn't pay too much attention to that. He also found some strange artifact for which he didn't have much use and which seem to contain some trapped spirit in it. Niago didn't see much use for it anyway.

Eventually Niago met the Lady of the Forest who ruled over the werewolf. She got into a long winded explanation that hardly kept Niago interested. At that point Niago didn't care much for Zathrian the Dalish keeper either. With the help of the Werewolves and Witherfang, Niago and his companions finally subdued Zathrian and made him renounce his life and dispel the curse, putting an end to Witherfang at the same time. The werewolves were now humans but their joy was short lived as Niago finally got what he wanted. Killing them in their weakened state was rather satisfying. Niago was at last done with the curse and the Dalish Elves were now treating him like a hero.

"I FEEL LIKE I'M SLEEPING, BUT I GUESS I'M NOT."

Despite his unwillingness to waste his time helping Bann Teagan, Niago had come to realize that getting Arl Eamon's support was a necessity. Redcliffe had changed much. It was abandoned and apart from some scavengers there was no living soul in sight. The Grey Wardens finally got to the Chantry where they found Bann Teagan and managed to get him to regain consciousness.

It turned out Teagan knew of a secret passage to get into the castle but before he could get through the hidden entrance he was interrupted by Lady Isolde. There wasn't much that could be done and the adventurers went through the secret passage while Teagan went back to the castle with the Arlessa. The passage lead them to a gaol where they found the Blood Mage who had poisoned the Arl. Niago was going to get rid of him when he thought that freeing the mage would be a better way to annoy Alistair. The group made its way through the castle and freed a girl who had unexpectedly survived. Niago didn't care that much anyway.

The Grey Wardens eventually found Connor, the Arl's son who was responsible for all the trouble in Redcliffe. Niago didn't care to conceal the fact that he had released the Blood Mage from his cell. Niago was determined to loot the place while looking for Connor. The Elf found an item that belonged to Alistair. Plundering the vault proved to be a most satisfying experience.

Niago eventually faced Connor. After defeating the possessed child he was ready to put an end to the curse when the Arlessa interfered. Niago didn't have much patience at that point.

Killing Connor didn't make any difference regarding Eamon's state and the only hope left was to look for the Urn of Sacred Ashes. Niago didn't put much stock in the stories about the Urn but he had heard about Brother Genetivi a scholar who was said to know more than anyone else about the Urn.

Before leaving on the quest for the Urn, Niago ran into the servant girl he had saved in the castle. It turned out that she was the daughter of the smith he had murdered and robbed. The Elf enjoyed the irony of the situation.

Niago and Alistair got into an argument about Connor. The Elf was getting bored by the annoying morals that Alistair displayed. If it wasn't for his martial prowess, Niago would have replaced him long ago...

That's a long post and I'm not even done yet. Next comes the Urn of Sacred Ashes. :evil:

14. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I can't see why evil characters wouldn't be just as inclined as good ones to stop the Blight. I get what you mean, though; you are forced into the role of the hero, but I am pretty sure that the Blight itself could prompt most evil characters to fight the Darkspawn. Wouldn't mind if I could just assassinate Loghain and force the nobles into submission, though :p.

15. Caradhras

Media:
    Indeed, it would be nice for an Evil character to force the nobles to obey him or her (which is what Loghain and Howe are doing). Eamon actually makes a good point regarding the "let's kill Loghain" strategy. I've included a screenshot of that particular dialogue in the following post.

"WHAT MAN CAN COMPETE WITH A GOD?"

Rescuing Brother Genitivi from the crazed cultists proved to be rather easy. The Grey Wardens had gained much experience since Ostagar and combat had become a regular part of their lives.

The exploration of the temple held the promised of long concealed treasures that Niago could keep for himself and hide from Ferdinand's prying eyes. Killing every cultist that stood in their path, Niago and his companions finally got to the Cultist Leader a swarthy fellow by the name of Kolgrim. Niago didn't pretend to be anything more than just another treasure hunter motivated by greed alone. The Elf didn't mind listening to the crazed cultist's offer. Kolgrim wanted Niago to destroy the ashes so that the power of the Reborn Andraste could be unleashed upon the world.

The temple itself was guarded by a... Guardian. Niago didn't have much patience for his questioning but he complied anyway. The Grey Warden went through the Gauntlet and finally reached the Urn. Niago was awed by this place. Even the Elf was not demented enough to destroy the Ashes and help a High Dragon. He thought he could lie to the cultists and get away with it but Kolgrim wasn't fooled so easily. Niago looted the Cultist's remains and took the engraved horn from the dead hands. Confronting "Andraste" the High Dragon was a challenge but the goddess eventually fell to her death.

Back in the iced temple, it was time to confront Genetivi. The man noticed a change in Niago. Indeed Niago had changed. Although he had never cared much about the Maker or the Chant of Light, Niago couldn't deny that there was a power at work in the Gauntlet. Whether it was magic or the Maker's doing (or even both) was not for Niago to tell. The Elf was beginning to think that the crazy woman Leliana might have been right. Perhaps he had been singled out to do the Maker's work. After all, he alonce had made it through the Gauntlet and lived. It was something Genetivi wasn't ready to understand. The brother left Niago no choice. The Elf didn't believe in the Chantry and he knew that if he was indeed the Maker's Chosen he had to protect the Ashes from the Chantry. Of course Alistair couldn't grasp the complexity of th situation and he couldn't remain silent either. Niago didn't care much, he knew he was right and that the Maker was on his side...

The camp was no longer safe. Shrieks attacked Niago and his followers while they rested from their exertions. Things were changing swiftly and Niago knew that they needed to move quickly if they were to evade the Darkspawn Horde or get a chance to unite Ferelden against the Blight.

"BAD THINGS HAPPEN WHEN I LEAD. WE GET LOST, PEOPLE DIE,
    AND THE NEXT THING YOU KNOW I'M STRANDED WITHOUT ANY PANTS."

Back in Redcliffe, the Ashes proved as effective as Teagan and Isolde ahd expected and Arl Eamon soon recovered. Niago listened to the Arl's plan. If he wanted to see Loghain suffer for his actions and get more influence and affluence it seemed that the Elf woud have to follow Eamon's counsel. Making Alistair the next king of Ferelden didn't seem like such a good idea to Niago... The Elf would have preferred to deal with Loghain in a less convoluted manner. Still, they were now ready to leave for Denerim where they would have to prepare for the Landsmeet.

In the meantime Niago still had some work to do. He had made a name for himself and Slim Couldry told him that the "Dark Wolf" was now a legend. As Niago was still working to cause troubles for the fereldan nobility, Zevran's past caught up with him. Getting rid of Zevran's former Crow associate would have been much more difficult if Niago didn't know all the tricks they used. Since the battle of Ostagar, Niago had become a skilled duelist and a most devious rogue. No longer a waif from the Denerim Alienage, Niago was now an assassin who could compete with the infamous Antivan Crows...

I can't wait to get to the Alienage. It should be really interesting... :evil:

16. Caradhras

Media:
    I've reached the level cap and I'll have 5 skills and 8 talents to pick when I'll start Awakening. I didn't even take any weapon talent during the entire game. Anyway here is the last part of Niago's (mis)adventures...

"SOME OF US KNOW WHAT HONOR AND LOYALTY ARE."

Niago was eager to retrieve his gold from the Arl's Estate but he still managed to find some time to confront the terrible Gaxkang, a mysterious and powerful being that was the plague of adventurers everywhere.

When Niago finally reached the Arl's Estate he was overcome with joy to discover that his treasure was still where he had left it. Niago knew the layout of the estate so he didn't waste much time. Disguised as guards (although Oghren didn't really look the part) they made their way to the Arl's treasure before the guards saw through the disguise. Slaughtering the guards proved easier than expected although Niago didn't remember seeing so many guards in the estate when he had first been there.

In the dungeons below the estate they found a fellow Grey Warden, Riordan, a most capable Rogue and a friend of Duncan's. The man declined Niago's offer to join them and promptly left. Niago didn't mind, they had much to do if they wanted to free Anora from the clutches of Arl Howe's goons. They rescued a young noble who claimed that his father would reward them. Niago was feeling generous, finding his gold had made him rather happy if not joyful. He didn't expect to run into his cousin. Soris wasn't thrilled by his captivity but Niago didn't care. He had many things to do and no time to lose with an ungrateful relative.

Facing Howe was rather dramatic and it's with an undisguised satisfaction that the Grey Wardens killed Loghain's lieutenant. Niago was surprised to find Vaughan in one of the Arl's cells. He had in mind a fate worse than death for the spoiled noble. Rescuing Anora proved rather difficult and Niago could see that the queen was truly her father's daughter.

Back at Eamon's estate, Niago confronted Anora and discussed the situation with Arl Eamon. There was much to be done and despite his previous disagreement he could see that Anora provided a valid plan. Getting some of the nobles to side with the Grey Wardens wasn't too hard and Niago was satisfied when he got his reward for saving the young noble from Howe's jailor.

Eventually the prodigal son returned to the Alienage. The place was in turmoil with rumours of plague and Niago wasn't surprised to find Shianni among the troublemakers. There was also a rumour of strange things happening in the Alienage. Niago had no time to lose and the old Templar's request was not of much interest to him. Niago would have thought that his fellow elves would have forgotten about the incident with Vaughan. Apparently they didn't and Shianni had been telling everyone the truth. The Rogue wasn't pleased, he felt it was most ungenerous of her to bear such a grudge towards him. In any case he had to investigate the unrest in the Alienage and exposing the Tevinter slavers was part of his task. It would also help clear his name from Shianni's slanderous accusations. The slavers had a nice operation going on in the Alienage and Niago was more curious than shocked. He got into a lengthy negotiation with the Tevinter Mage who ruled the operation before the latter made his last offer. Niago would have expected Alistair to remonstrate but he didn't expect Zevran to show so much sympathy for the enslaved elves. Niago had nothing but contempt for such weakness and he accepted the Mage's offer.

The time had come for the Landsmeet that Eamon had summoned. Things went according to Eamon's plans and Loghain lost. Still, the proud Teyrn didn't yield without a fight and Niago decided that he couldn't trust anyone to fight the renowned warrior. Using devious tactics and stratagems, Niago managed to defeat Loghain. Riordan had in mind a fitting punishment for Loghain but Alistair refused to even contemplate the idea of Loghain joining the Grey Wardens. Niago was tired of Alistair's whining and he decided to support Anora's claim to the crown. When Anora condemned Alistair to be executed, Niago didn't even try to defend his companion. He knew full well that Alistair couldn't understand. In any case, Niago preferred to see Alistair dead than to see the foolish Grey Warden turn against him.

Fighting the Blight out of necessity, Niago had found in Loghain an unlikely ally but although there was no sympathy between them, Niago knew that he could trust him as long as their goals were the same. Loghain wanted to save Ferelden and Niago wanted to make a lot of money while saving Ferelden.

The Grey Wardens left for Ostagar to retrieve Cailan's arms from the battlefield. It was also a perfect opportunity to check the advance of the Darkspawn Horde. They finally recovered Cailan's body before going back to Redcliffe where the Darkspawns had launched an attack. Riordan's report was disheartening. The Horde was heading for Denerim and the armies gathered at Redcliffe would have to leave for Denerim as soon as they could if the city was to be saved from the Horde. Riordan had more revelations to make about the Archdemon. In short, if the Archdemon was to be killed, the one who would struck the killing blow would certainly perish. Niago had no intention of losing his life fighting the Archdemon and he was relieved however to see that Riordan and Loghain were willing to do that sacrifice. It seemed that Morrigan knew much more about that predicament than Niago would have assumed. She made him an offer he could not refuse.

A deal was made at the eve of the battle and the following day the armies marched toward Denerim. The Horde was impressive indeed and Niago wondered if he shouldn't have left. It was too late to turn back, there was no escape possible for anyone, no hope unless the Archdemon was defeated. After securing the gates, Niago had to pick a warrior to guard them from further Darkspawn incursions. Making his way through the streets of Denerim, Niago eventually reached the Alienage. Killing the Darkspawn Generals was no easy task even for experienced fighters like Loghain, Zevran and Oghren. In the end, despite incredible odds and Riordan's death, the Grey Wardens prevailed and Niago slew the beast.

Niago had come a long way since he left the Alienage to become a Grey Warden and as unlikely as it would have seemed he had defeated the Archdemon and was now the hero of Ferelden.

Was the reward worth the effort? Would Niago be satisfied with his success? These tales are yet to be told, for now, this is the end.

This game was even more fun than I had expected. It was actually my second run with an evil character (the first being my Dwarf Commoner) but this time I tried to be more consistent and although at times Niago did stray on the chaotic/psycho side I think I've managed to respect some logic regarding the choices "he" made. I can only say that DAO does provide some interesting options for an evil character. There are only a few times when I felt too restricted in my choices. I also felt it was rather funny that Alistair would stick to such an obnoxious leader to the end. I guess a Rogue can be rather persuasive. :evil:

17. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I started the Elf Commoner origin and played him like your character. I didn't like the Elf commoner origin as much as the dalish elf origin.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.